Author Topic: Steriods  (Read 1683 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Steriods
« on: 02 September, 2008, 02:44:45 am »

So the steriods are working, my weight has stabilised around 88kg that's from 102kg a couple of months ago. There is a constant hot/burning sensation if I stop and do nothing deep in my muscles, I feel like superman but when it comes to doing anything it's agonising ie ooh I'll sprint or jog to the shop take a couple of steps and whimper in pain, I'm still worse for wear in the mornings and have my good and bad days. Some weird side effects though, my water intake has shot up, must be drinking at least 3-4 litres a day, I am always hungry but no appetite most days, I have a constant pain in my stomach - that feeling you get when you are starving and you think your body has started eating itself - but I am eating healthily. I have a extremely sensitive left nipple, me man bits are acting weird and I feel very very bloated and heavy, my size has increased from what I was a few weeks ago before the meds and I am very flabby with no muscle definition anymore :( I feel like the Michelin man :-\

Is that normal? I don't wanna annoy me doc with something that could be trivial
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Steriods
« Reply #1 on: 02 September, 2008, 05:59:10 am »
Sam, A don't know if it's normal but if you're worried go and see the doctor. I'm sure he/she won't think that you're wasting their time

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 02 September, 2008, 09:15:37 am »
+1 to what PaulF says, if you are worried about the side effects (or contra-indications in trade speak), then speak to your doc.

Don't, whatever you do, go looking things up on the internet (like I did after my bowel op) it will just depress you!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 02 September, 2008, 09:38:40 am »
Effects differ depending on what you're on.  "Steroids" isn't enough to be clear.  Details, man!  (and read the leaflet that came with the drugs, which will list side effects)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 02 September, 2008, 09:47:17 am »
My steroids come in the form of an injection. I don't know how often this will be administered, but I've had two so far, on request, one in early May, the other about 3 weeks ago. I find they relieve my arthritic pain very effectively for a while. Those who saw me hobbling around at the 'Uts and then walking and cycling quite freely at Mildenhall may have noticed the difference. The effect is supposed to last about 6 weeks, longer if I'm lucky. I'm hoping I'll still be OK for the Pendle Witches ride and our Coast to Coast later in Oct. On 1st Oct, if I'm suffering, I'll try to get another injection before those two jaunts.

The blurb says that steroids may cause weight gain. So far, I've found that they aid weight loss because I find cycling so much easier that I tend to do more. I managed over 600 miles in August. My appetite is big, but then it always was.

My sig line tells you what I'm on. What's your poison, Sam?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Steroids
« Reply #5 on: 02 September, 2008, 10:04:21 am »
I should imagine valiant will be on high doses of prenisolone in the form of tablets.
Some of the effects described are well-known and the unfortunate price to be paid for some relief of the underlying trouble.
I think its worth seeing the GP for support and reassurance, and also to make sure other problems associated with steroid use, like diabetes, are detected and treated.
Corticosteroids like pred are not anabolic steroids (which are usually testosterone analogues).

Hang in Sam and get well soon!

[Edit: fixed the title for you.]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 02 September, 2008, 11:29:40 am »
Prednisolone can have some unpleasant side effects.  Yes, it can cause weight gain, because it stimulates your appetite, but, as you're not exercising so much (otherwise you wouldn't be on the preds), it tends to turn to fat.  This can get into a cycle, because preds also mess with your moods, and can make you very grumpy (though normally when coming off rather than on a sustained dose).

If you've put on weight, and your mood is low, and you have a tendency to comfort eat, it can be a nasty cycle to get into.

It is possible to substitute 'I' for 'You' throughout the above.  Been there, man. Many years.  Just be grateful that you're not taking large doses of steroid during puberty, as it really messes with your hormones.

But the end point is that oral steroids work.  Stick with the course, keep a close eye on yourself, try not to worry about any temporary weight gain which you may be able to offset later when your health is more stable.  And things will improve.
Getting there...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #7 on: 03 September, 2008, 01:56:53 am »
I am on decadurabolin, zanaflex, primaxin, and diazepam, can you say walking pharmacy? I am like the walking dead, being attacked on all fronts, it's not my muscles wasting away, it's my stomach killing me with hunger, or my head with headaches, or my bad or failing that nurses with needles.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #8 on: 03 September, 2008, 04:16:29 am »
Oh bother :( but you sounded so much better when I talked on the phone the other day, how you get better soon.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #9 on: 03 September, 2008, 04:28:29 am »
I have good days and bad days, good days are managable and I can generally walk around without crutches, bad days I'm rolled up in bed screaming for the pain.

Support Equilibrium