Author Topic: Sore throat... again  (Read 5456 times)

Sore throat... again
« on: 14 October, 2008, 10:07:38 am »
I have a rotten sore throat and feel like I am coming down with a cold. Again. This is becoming Very Unfunny. What is wrong with me? I've only just got over my chest infection.

>:(

Julian

• samoture
Re: Sore throat... again
« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2008, 10:09:31 am »
Me too.

And as always happens when I get a cold, I've got sinusitis so I am a Very Unhappy Panda and about to try to persuade the doctor to give me some antibiotics before I end up turning into some huge green snotmonster.

I hope whatever it is just turns out to be a minor irritation, Peli.  You don't need any more illness this year. 

« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2008, 10:11:37 am »
Are you maybe working too hard? Bit stressed? that can really lower your immune system, I believe.You do seem to work a lot, and travel a lot.

Also, are you eating well? Sleeping?

And sometimes it's just bad luck...

Take it easy and maybe you'll manage to fight this one off before it gets too horrible. Good luck!

(and hope you get well too, Liz!)

« Reply #3 on: 14 October, 2008, 10:16:31 am »
I had a sore throat recently that lasted nearly three weeks, it wasn't tonsillitis so I didn't bother my doctor (not that they like giving out antibiotics as you well know!) but it was a pain.

Gargling with TCP was one of the most effective things, but it makes you smell like an 'orspital. I sure my fellow bus passengers (a few days I felt too ill to cycle) appreciated it.

Last winter there was a period of about six months where I caught every bug going - colds, sore throats, even a norovirus type thing. I thought I was eating healthily enough but I started taking Berocca as a precaution. Since then, apart from the sore throat of three weeks, I've been pretty much ok.

Get well soon!

« Reply #4 on: 14 October, 2008, 10:21:52 am »
Thanks all. It seems to hit me after I've been out riding (I don't get any cycling in during the week, so a big ride is a bit of a shock to the system). I've been eating as well as possible, and taking Immunace tablets too. I really think it's the worst luck as I just want to get fit again!

And yes, I am mega stressed at the moment, so that's not helping at all.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 14 October, 2008, 10:35:08 am »
[Nagging Mother Mode]

You're overstretching yourself and placing too much strain on your body.  You should not have been riding so soon after your chest infection.

Take time off work and off the bike.  Relax and let yourself heal properly this time, otherwise it'll just keep recurring and it'll take you longer and longer each time to get over it.

[/Nagging Mother Mode]
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6 on: 14 October, 2008, 11:24:39 am »
[Nagging Mother Mode]

You're overstretching yourself and placing too much strain on your body.  You should not have been riding so soon after your chest infection.

Take time off work and off the bike.  Relax and let yourself heal properly this time, otherwise it'll just keep recurring and it'll take you longer and longer each time to get over it.

[/Nagging Mother Mode]
I was fully recovered though, Mum!

Regulator

« Reply #7 on: 14 October, 2008, 11:26:51 am »
[Nagging Mother Mode]

[/Nagging Mother Mode]
I was fully recovered though, Mum!

You obviously weren't, were you eh?  It can take a number of weeks to recover from a chest infection and, be honest about it, you were only just over the chest infection when you did the Pendle Ride.

Stay off the bike, and rest properly, for at least two weeks after the sore throat is done.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #8 on: 14 October, 2008, 11:31:14 am »
So I am not allowed to do a hilly Audax this weekend?  :-\

Regulator

« Reply #9 on: 14 October, 2008, 11:33:07 am »
So I am not allowed to do a hilly Audax this weekend?  :-\

NO!

Have I made myself clear?

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 14 October, 2008, 12:03:57 pm »
Just a thought - and related to your asthma - do you drink enough when riding?  A lot of issues arise from dryness of the airways, including sore throats.
Getting there...

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #11 on: 14 October, 2008, 02:10:35 pm »
I rarely get colds but have had 2 recently ,the coincidence is or is it I stopped taking echinacea(sp?)

« Reply #12 on: 14 October, 2008, 03:14:28 pm »
I just took painkillers and it went away. Aaaaaah. Relief. :)

Regulator

« Reply #13 on: 14 October, 2008, 03:15:54 pm »

I'm looking at you with one eyebrow raised in a disbelieving manner...

Don't push it young lady.  You're not too big for a spanking!

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #14 on: 14 October, 2008, 05:50:29 pm »

I'm looking at you with one eyebrow raised in a disbelieving manner...

Don't push it young lady.  You're not too big for a spanking!
But I don't usually get a spanking for doing bad things.  O:-)

« Reply #15 on: 14 October, 2008, 06:25:18 pm »
Ah: TATT.

I agree with Dirty Doctor Greg, of course, that you have to ensure you are fully recovered after chest infections and so on before undertaking anything strenuous. However, I do think you had recovered, and that you've now possibly got another coldy type bug.

I could see on Sunday (and indeed even on Saturday) that you were very tired. This was before we started cycling.

Saturday's ride would not have been remotely strenuous enough to cause any kind of "overstretching" for a young whippersnapper such as yourself - I've deleted the data now but I suspect our moving time was outweighed by the time we spent stopped.

I won't go on about it as I've said it before, but I suspect it is related to your work patterns rather than occasional jaunts on the bike.

You need to rest properly in the evenings and on your days off - and that does not preclude weekend bike rides. A good bike ride is a mental rest from work. As it is, you never effectively leave work. Arrange things so that the Crackberry is only required during working hours when out of the office. Get another phone (with another number) for non-work purposes.

« Reply #16 on: 14 October, 2008, 07:02:52 pm »

Have you considered fungal eg thrush/candida. If only (very)recently of antibiotics.

« Reply #17 on: 15 October, 2008, 11:04:33 am »
I could see on Sunday (and indeed even on Saturday) that you were very tired. This was before we started cycling.

Really? How did you notice that?

Saturday's ride would not have been remotely strenuous enough to cause any kind of "overstretching" for a young whippersnapper such as yourself - I've deleted the data now but I suspect our moving time was outweighed by the time we spent stopped.

I actually found it *very* strenuous indeed, to be honest, and was utterly knackered by the time we got home. I fell asleep on my parents' bed while waiting for my Dad and Wowbagger to stop gassing.  ;) As I keep telling people, I am not fit at the moment, and lose whatever fitness I have very quickly.

Regulator

« Reply #18 on: 15 October, 2008, 11:07:43 am »
I actually found it *very* strenuous indeed, to be honest, and was utterly knackered by the time we got home. I fell asleep on my parents' bed while waiting for my Dad and Wowbagger to stop gassing.  ;) As I keep telling people, I am not fit at the moment, and lose whatever fitness I have very quickly.

And you're surprised you're ill again?  ::-)

;)

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #19 on: 15 October, 2008, 11:12:39 am »
But I couldn't exactly not go on my own ride, could I?  ::-)

« Reply #20 on: 15 October, 2008, 11:56:36 am »
Really? How did you notice that?

As a trained nurse I was able to ascertain this, using advanced diagnostic skills, because of subtle clues such as when you kept saying things like "I'm so tired".

I actually found it *very* strenuous indeed

Yeah, but my point was that this was because you'd had a tiring and stressful week (or several weeks) rather than because of the ride itself.

How are you feelin today?

« Reply #21 on: 15 October, 2008, 12:35:53 pm »
Haha.

I had had a tiring week, and I usually spend the weekend asleep to catch up.

Today my throat is still bloody sore.

« Reply #22 on: 15 October, 2008, 02:36:40 pm »
 :(

Well hopefully your immune system will fight it off before it turns into anything else.

« Reply #23 on: 16 October, 2008, 11:29:51 am »
Last night I shone a Cateye into my throat and spotted two little lumps on the right hand side, right at the back (exactly where the pain in). Any ideas what these are?

« Reply #24 on: 16 October, 2008, 01:00:46 pm »
Where are they in relation to your tonsils?

Probably lymph nodes.