Author Topic: I don't like/care for wine  (Read 1374 times)

I don't like/care for wine
« on: 06 October, 2009, 11:59:26 am »
Everyone I know is getting into wine. Going on wine appreciation courses, building up collections etc.
Wine doesn't interest me at all (other than for cooking, and I use sherry).

Unfortunately wine is now the de facto 'I can't be bothered' gifts, and I now have about 15 bottles (probably all appalling) that I don't know what to do with. Suggestions please.

rae

Re: I don't like/care for wine
« Reply #1 on: 06 October, 2009, 12:00:12 pm »
Send them to me.

« Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2009, 12:01:54 pm »
Either give them to a family member/friend who will appreciate them, or use them for cooking - e.g. pears poached in red wine with cloves and cinnamon and sugar is jolly nice. As is white wine syllabub.

Good quality wine in cooking makes for very nommy food.  :thumbsup:
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 06 October, 2009, 12:03:04 pm »
I found that donating them as raffle prizes at school/church/community events was a good route.  Also for unwanted gift-wrapped cosmetics.
Getting there...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #4 on: 06 October, 2009, 12:04:30 pm »
I now have about 15 bottles (probably all appalling) that I don't know what to do with. Suggestions please.
wine is now the de facto 'I can't be bothered' gift
:thumbsup: Or is it morally wrong to recycle presents, resulting in a period in hell?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #5 on: 06 October, 2009, 12:10:12 pm »
Drink all 15 bottles before work tomorrow.  (Get a taxi in)

You'll have the time of your life  :thumbsup:

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #6 on: 06 October, 2009, 09:28:42 pm »
and I now have about 15 bottles (probably all appalling) that I don't know what to do with. Suggestions please.

List them someone maybe able to tell you if any are good or bad.

« Reply #7 on: 06 October, 2009, 10:27:19 pm »
Load them onto the Mundo and pedal around giving them away, making a lot of street people happy ?   Probably not very socially responsible, but you know the recipients would appreciate it...

Alternatively find an old folks home/sheltered accommodation and give them a christmas present ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Zoidburg

« Reply #8 on: 08 October, 2009, 04:46:54 pm »
I used to think that wine would never hook me until I combined it with my addiction to cheese.

Hmmmmmm...

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 08 October, 2009, 05:00:11 pm »

Wine doesn't interest me at all (

I think we were all there at one time but it's worth giving it a go as your palatte may/will "learn" to like it over time.

As Zoidburg suggest, get some of your favourite cheese and crack open a decent red.

Repeat several times a week for 20 years and you'll find yourself spending 30 minutes trying to choose a bottle for the evening

What have you got stashed? 

« Reply #10 on: 08 October, 2009, 10:35:25 pm »
I don't "do" wine either.

I like the taste of red wine, in particular Shiraz or Merlot.  But I see this as a "flavour" when compared to other wines much in the same way as blackcurrent squash tastes differently to orange squash or apple squash.

To me wine is :-
 - find good looking bottle in supermarket, pay no more than £5 or £6 at a push.
 - find glass and corkscrew, if it doesn't have a screw cap.
 - drink.

« Reply #11 on: 09 October, 2009, 02:30:50 pm »
My main problem with wine is that I cannot slow my drinking down from beer pace to wine pace, so a bottle doesn't last long. Not a problem here, but in Hungary I could easily afford more than one bottle at a session and suffered the consequences.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.