Author Topic: Cheapish fixed commuter suggestions  (Read 4646 times)

Euan Uzami

Cheapish fixed commuter suggestions
« on: 14 August, 2013, 05:21:13 pm »
having recently had the good fortune to have been offered a job only 10 miles from home rather than 36 I'm using it as an opportunity to commute by bike more (maybe most days instead of the current average of one a week - just not really that viable as i have to get up so early now the train station's gone and shut), and also as an opportunity to do a bit of riding fixed given that my new commute is flat and low maintenance will be a priority - but I also want something cheap that will mean I don't have to leave either of my expensive bikes locked to a fairly puny bike rack that doesn't look like it's secured to the ground that well every day, or leave outside the gym regularly.

I have eyed this up as potentially suitable http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jamis/sputnik-2013-single-speed-road-bike-ec041519#features

but would quite like to know of any suggestions for alternatives if it turns out to be unavailable or I don't like it for any reason (i've asked for it to be delivered to my local store for a try out.)

the fuji feather http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/feather-2013-single-speed-road-bike-ec041916 looks ok but i'm not sure i like the look of its handlebars, they look a bit "track-y", i'd probably rather a bit more upright position.

Criteria:
'all in'/'off the peg' - something i don't have to start modifying other than to add mudguards and a rack - don't really want to have to build it up or convert it from geared
ideally less than £500 but will stretch if reason to
has mounts for said mudguards and rack
rear facing horizontal dropouts
not too racy position, poncy, or hipster-ish, ideally not deep section wheels that look nickable

or if anyone's GOT such a thing they're selling, would be keen to hear.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Cheapish fixed commuter suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2013, 05:24:20 pm »
Pompino?

(No I'm not offering you one, but I hear they can be had fairly cheap.)

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2013, 06:39:36 pm »
Pompino.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2013, 07:02:42 pm »
Pompino.

Will take guards, 28 cc tyres and a rack, so good for commuting. And audaxing. And touring. And.... And....
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2013, 07:24:02 pm »
There you go: Pompino.  It's solid and reliable.

But if you want something a bit lighter and faster, the Fuji Feather is a great ride, and the Classic is very good, too.

My choice of commuting fixed was influenced  by the desire for mudguards and a rack.
Getting there...

Euan Uzami

« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2013, 09:21:13 pm »
Hmm it looks nice. Brake levers in a bit of a funny position but spose you could move them

« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2013, 08:45:12 am »
Genesis Skyline would have been my suggestion but it seems they don't make them any more. The Flyer looks fugly (IMHO).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2013, 10:52:04 am »
I have the Ridgeback version of the Skyline.  I like the Flyer but it doesn't have the braze ons.
Getting there...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2013, 12:21:56 pm »
The Genesis Day One Disc would be good, but it costs £700.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #9 on: 17 August, 2013, 06:02:34 pm »
Hmmm... had a look at the pompino today in the flesh and it didnt look like it had enough clearance at the back for mudguards.... it had 32mm cross tyres on but there was only about 5mm between tyre and dropout.
Can anyone confirm or deny?

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #10 on: 17 August, 2013, 06:13:00 pm »
I run guards and 35mm M+ tyres, but then mine is the old version (size medium) with 135mm OLN.  The new one is 120mm OLN so I don't know what that's done to the clearance at the back.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 17 August, 2013, 06:33:02 pm »
The Inbred slot dropout works but you must get a fixed hub that allows a chainline of > 45mm (50mm, which is what On-One fixed hubs are, allows most sizes of chainring without hitting the chainstay).

Fitting guards involves a couple of band-on bottle bosses .
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #12 on: 17 August, 2013, 07:33:07 pm »
I run guards and 35mm M+ tyres, but then mine is the old version (size medium) with 135mm OLN.  The new one is 120mm OLN so I don't know what that's done to the clearance at the back.
that makes sense, this one had a strange multi piece sort of dropout which had cantis and a screw in the bottom of it - had the mountings, but looked tight.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #13 on: 17 August, 2013, 09:21:31 pm »
that makes sense, this one had a strange multi piece sort of dropout which had cantis and a screw in the bottom of it - had the mountings, but looked tight.
What do you mean by dropouts? Do you mean the top of the seatstays?

Euan Uzami

« Reply #14 on: 19 August, 2013, 10:54:29 am »
What do you mean by dropouts? Do you mean the top of the seatstays?

yeah, the seatstays are connected by a bridge which has a sort of vertical bit in the middle, and this bit looks like it has a screw in the middle to screw the mudguard directly into (which is a nicer way of mounting than using that caliper that screws onto the brake bolt)

it's this bit that looks far too close to the tyre for mudguards:

in truth it might well be ok with 25mm or 28mm tyres but I'm not really sure i want to risk it without knowing.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #15 on: 19 August, 2013, 12:28:30 pm »
The bridge design is the same on the old pomp.

Lindagordino OTP had a new style pomp until it got smashed by a car, you could PM her and ask.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16 on: 19 August, 2013, 12:34:37 pm »
The bridge design is the same on the old pomp.

Lindagordino OTP had a new style pomp until it got smashed by a car, you could PM her and ask.

She's no longer strictly OTP.  PM Ruthie for a better, more up to date result.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #17 on: 19 August, 2013, 01:50:39 pm »

it's this bit that looks far too close to the tyre for mudguards:

in truth it might well be ok with 25mm or 28mm tyres but I'm not really sure i want to risk it without knowing.

I have one of the latest frames (2013 model with the pump peg) with SKS mudguards and 25mm Bontrager Racelite tyres. There is still plenty of clearance, which would appear to be able to accommodate 28mm tyres. I don't have one to be able confirm this.

HTH

P
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #18 on: 19 August, 2013, 02:14:54 pm »
That's not the dropouts. The dropouts are the bits on the frame/fork the axle goes in. The Pompino has track ends, which are technically not dropouts. See Sheldon Brown: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_dr-z.html#dropout

I use 28mm tyres with mudguards on my Pompino, there's plenty of space.
You can get a bit more clearance by putting the wheel a bit further back in the track ends. Plus you can attach the mudguard to the seat stay with zip ties, instead of using a bolt in that hole.