Author Topic: Schmidt Edelux II  (Read 2255 times)

Ben T

Schmidt Edelux II
« on: 29 December, 2019, 07:30:02 pm »
Anyone any opinion on whether "the new" schmidt edelux II is any better than the old. Claims to have an 'all new' B&M mirror now.

Used one a while back (may 2017?) which didn't have the coaxial adapter if that helps - curious to know if the actual light spread has improved since then.

Has anyone got a pic of the back of one as well? Keen to know whether the connectors are likely to be any more robust than a B&M luxos's.

Does anyone know why on an Edelux II, one of the connectors for the rear light (earth?) is connected to the metal body of the light, but you can't (or I can't seem to*) do that with a B&M luxos?

*I tried it with it connected to the bracket, and it didn't work. Is that not good enough or does it have to be the light itself?

Is the coaxial adapter a potential point of failure?

Phil W

Re: Schmidt Edelux II
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2019, 07:55:14 pm »
I have an Edelux II on my road bike and my old Edelux on my first recumbent. I'd say the Edelux II is a definite improvement.  One connector is a big ring connector you attach by including it where you bolt the Edelux to the mount.  The other connector is a recessed female spade connection and you'd do well to break that. So yes, defo better than what you get with the Luxos U.

« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2019, 08:11:49 pm »
Is the coaxial adapter a potential point of failure?
I say not.  I have been using an Edelux II for 2 years or more and I originally made my own intermediate connector to split the wiring between the light and the hub.  This is because I did not fancy trying to remove the spade connectors from the hub to fix a puncture on a cold and wet night.  It worked fine but wasn't as neat as I would like.  I replaced the wiring and my connector with coax and would say that it provides a good solid connection pretty easily disconnected when needed.  The only problem is fitting the connector to the coax cable if you suffer with typical decaying middle age close up vision.  Now you can buy a light with coax and connector fitted which was not available at my time.

Ben T

« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2019, 08:44:09 pm »
Cheers Phil and tatanab. Think it might be worth a punt as it seems its only disadvantage (to me) over the Luxos is lack of rear light monitor. If the beam is as good it seems it has an advantage in robustness stakes.

« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2019, 08:47:11 pm »
I had an original Edelux for around six years and was very happy with it, then I bought a II for a different bike.  It's so much better I can't ride with the original and have replaced that as well.  I also have a IQ-X which IMO has an even nicer beam, though the various reports of unreliability put me off getting another.
The one you rode in 2017 could have been either, the coaxial adapter is optional.  One of mine is on a Shimano block and the other has the adapter fitted from new, I like it and don't envisage any problems with it. 

« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2019, 09:05:13 pm »
The Luxos U has a plastic main body and the bracket is electrically isolated from the gubbins, so using it as a connection wont work.

The Edelux only has one spade terminal - the output for the rear light underneath. It’s buried down a deep hole which provides mechanical support for the plug. The other half of the connection is via the bracket as Phil says. My secondhand Edelux didn’t come with the proper connector, so I just have a spare female crimp connector attached to the bracket wire by a plastic cable tie. Works fine. 

The connection to the dynamo is a coaxial cable hardwired into the lamp.

« Reply #6 on: 30 December, 2019, 11:20:44 pm »
The Edelux II has a much wider beam than the original Edelux. The Edelux I basically lights a normal one lane each way country road, the Edelux II lights a lot of each verge too, and makes cornering easier. The Edelux II is a bit brighter, but not enough so that it's obvious if you compare different rides on different bikes, rather than ride with someone with the other and compare by alternately covering a light with a hand.

As for the Coax connector, your guess is as good as mine. It will be a bit easier to deal with on punctures etc, but if it does give a problem it will be harder to fix than a spade would be. It's also an extra £20 on the light. I'd arrange the axle position so the plug went into the connector from below, to make it harder for water to get in.

My Nov 2013 Edelux II has the spades. In that time I've had to give a gentle squeeze with pliers to tighten up the connection a couple of times (you'd pull off spade 1 whilst lifting spade 2 up over the hub terminal), and the shrink wrap is probably in need of redoing (sometimes the hub terminal goes between the shrink wrap and the female spade rather than into the spade). It was a bit awkward plugging the terminals back in on a SON 28 Klassik, fingers being obstructed by the dropout, mudguard stays etc, but the current (round) SON 28 has more of a gap between fork and hub flange, and is easier.

The light body will be used for one half of the rear light connection as using two spades would double the chance of a water leak where the housing is drilled.
I reckon it's worth paying the £6.40 for the pre-built rear wiring loom, on the grounds of reliability, the proper crimp tool having been used, rather than a DIY bodge.

« Reply #7 on: 31 December, 2019, 10:09:47 am »
I haven't used the original Edelux, only the II.  My newest seems to have a subtly different beam pattern compared with the two older ones, just the shape of the centre beam.  I also have the 'wireless' SL system on the new bike, which is pretty good – no faffing with connections.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8 on: 05 January, 2020, 09:40:41 am »
Anyone any opinion on whether "the new" schmidt edelux II is any better than the old. Claims to have an 'all new' B&M mirror now.

Are you saying there is effectively an edelux 111 ( or 11A ) ?

Ben T

« Reply #9 on: 05 January, 2020, 10:00:40 am »

I don’t know, that’s exactly what I was asking.
But, I got one anyway, and used it on audax yesterday and was very happy with its beam. It’s better than I remember it being when I last used one, but whether that’s just me remembering it wrong or hadn’t aligned it as well previously I don’t know.
Fitting it did give me the confidence that it didn’t have the vulnerability issue of the tabs that the luxos does.

« Reply #10 on: 05 January, 2020, 11:59:20 am »

As I understand it, the Edelux II has been silently upgraded from 90 Lux to 100 Lux output. Whether the increase is caused by a new reflector or a new LED or both, I don't know.
--
Regards

« Reply #11 on: 06 January, 2020, 02:47:29 pm »
The Edelux I did get a silent reflector upgrade (the vertical reflector facets increased from 4 to 5, plus the sides), so it can happen.
Schmidt get the reflectors from B+M, so I'd assume the Cyo changed too.
The non-premium Cyo 60 also had 70 lux on the packaging at the time the Cyo premium was introduced, so it's likely that the LED can get upgraded too.