Author Topic: Glove sizing  (Read 3783 times)

Re: Glove sizing
« Reply #25 on: 13 December, 2019, 06:29:50 pm »
Similar to pogies but more adaptable is mountaineer's overmitts.

Basically they are waterproof unlined mitts. Do for your hands what wearing a wind and waterproof top does for your body.

I have a pair, bought ages ago. Pack down to nothing. Pull on over other gloves, go halfwayup my forearms. A bit clumsy to use with some shifters, but not as clumsy as frozen fingers.

In summer they can be popped over fingerless mitts when an unexpected rainshower and wind turns things a bit chilly.

Something like these: https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/mountain-equipment-mens-drilight-overmitt-A3215780.html?colour=124

I found some dead tough ones for under £20. Never regretted buying them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 13 December, 2019, 07:21:01 pm »
I'm sure they do the job but the idea of pogies to me is you don't need such thick gloves, so maintain dexterity, because your hands and the whole lever area are sheltered, their own portable windbreak.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 14 December, 2019, 12:59:43 pm »
As a hand surgeon I am particularly sensitive to poorly shaped and fitted gloves despite a fairly average size 7.5 hand.

The vast majority of glove makers try to reduce the fabric in the first webspace between thumb and index finger.  This puts a stress on the thumb joints which can cause significant pain for many people.

[Slightly OT]
Try being a woman in theatre! (Not really!)
6½ - numbingly short on the middle finger, 7s - comfy but baggy...

I think the little nursies that could wear a 5½ might have had a better fit...

« Reply #28 on: 26 December, 2019, 07:41:54 pm »
If you want to learn about how gloves were made to fit a hand and about glove-making in general then read American Pastoral by Philip Roth, especially pages 117 -132.

Phil W

« Reply #29 on: 26 December, 2019, 08:09:59 pm »
Wind proof and not too tight on the hand works well for keeping hands warm. You can also get stretch windproof gloves if you want a good fit but not cutting off blood supply. Mountaineering gloves are a good choice for winter.

« Reply #30 on: 26 December, 2019, 08:16:23 pm »
Arthritis means I have very knarled and twisted fingers, so in most gloves my fingers are constricted, that's if I can even get them on.
I also have Reynaulds quite severely.
I have two drawers full of "the latest and best" gloves and mitts, and have spent a fortune on them over the years - none of them will keep my hands functional in even  slightly cool conditions.
But Pogies (bar mitts) do work because they create a microclimate that covers hands, wrists, bars, brakes, and shifters. I vary what I wear on my hands under them from nothing up to fingerless mitts plus thin overmitts to keep disposable handwarmers in position. There's enough room to stash the extras (and the flapjack) if I get too warm.  They are easy to put on and remove, but are bulky to stash away.
Mine are HOTPOGS - made in England from the same sort of material as traditional saddlebags, and I could not ride at all in winter without them.
BUT - they only work with flat bars.  I did try a different brand that fitted drops, but the bike was uncontrollable in even a slightest draught.

« Reply #31 on: 27 December, 2019, 10:58:22 am »
If anyone wants to try out my Hotpogs, I live in the Durham Dales.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #32 on: 07 January, 2020, 02:30:57 pm »
I always thought if gloves are sized SML fashion the maker does not care about fit.  One winter I bought a particular glove in the LBS size L which fitted best then the following year I bought the same type in size S which fitted best. So much for glove sizing.  When I buy gloves that have British/German gloves sizes (Its a Bog standard) the gloves stay the size specified. Measure your hand order the gloves. Add size if they are lined with wool. Fits like a glove.