Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864061 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #1825 on: 13 May, 2017, 09:41:55 pm »
I have a tendency, probably from earlier rugby days to tuck the shoulder under.  Tends to move the impact rearwards and away from collarbone so far, also tucks fingers in I guess
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1826 on: 13 May, 2017, 11:06:41 pm »
i am wishing you a speedy recovery kim , gws
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #1827 on: 14 May, 2017, 07:50:13 pm »
Yips, that sounds nasty, glad you're mostly OK Kim.

The crazy thing  is that I've just had a very much similar event on the second to last day of a west coast and islands tour.  I was on the bent too, for me it was a large pot hole hit at 33mph while riding from Kilchoan to Corran. Luckily I only suffered a rapid deflation of the front, had I had the same sort of instantaneous deflation as you experienced I suspect we'd have been compering injuries and bent bents.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1828 on: 14 May, 2017, 08:03:21 pm »
Yeah.  If it had taken another 5 seconds I'd likely have scrubbed most of the speed off and come to a graceless but Mostly Harmless stop.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1829 on: 15 May, 2017, 11:04:17 am »
How are the injuries today?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1830 on: 15 May, 2017, 11:21:07 am »
And which recumbent was it? Baron or SM?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1831 on: 16 May, 2017, 12:11:54 pm »
You can retire from being a professional computer guy but no-one will let you retire from being a free consultant. :demon:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #1832 on: 16 May, 2017, 12:34:51 pm »
Because by that point the bike was sliding on its side - rear wheel first - with me clinging on trying to keep as little skin in contact with the ground as possible and hoping to surf it out of the path of the oncoming car. 

Gnarly.

GWS.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1833 on: 16 May, 2017, 03:24:35 pm »
Injuries are healing nicely, which is to say the itching to pain ratio is steadily increasing.  I've given up on proper dressings for the arse and switched to modified sanitary towels, which are cheaper, bigger and far better equipped to handle the volume of ooze.  The arm is much drier and is quietly[1] getting on with it.

I've ordered an assortment of bits from the Bandits of Bridgewater with which to repair the Baron, to appear when stock permits.

Micropore tape and insurance paperwork.  Living the dream.

[1] Except the other night when barakta rolled onto it in bed.  Apparently she could hear the scream.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1834 on: 16 May, 2017, 04:12:16 pm »
I didn't know the Sadist Jokers of Somerset had started selling replacement body parts.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1835 on: 16 May, 2017, 09:38:21 pm »
It sounds more like you need an Igor/Igorina . . .  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1836 on: 20 May, 2017, 07:53:05 pm »
My arm's in a state where operating a bicycle pump without pain is a possibility.  I can now report that the cause of the offending deflation was a snakebite puncture (so with hindsight, I'm surprised it stayed upright for as long as it did).  There's a corresponding inconsequential looking nick in the tread of the tyre.  In the absence of potholes, and given the rear tyre was unaffected, I conclude that I must have hit a stone.

For reference it was a 28mm Durano freshly pumped to 80PSI.  Much higher and the front end of the bike rattles like a bastard.  Maybe tubeless is the way to go...

« Reply #1837 on: 21 May, 2017, 10:06:19 am »
GWS Kim.

In the meantime I've learned that a middle english term for an orchid is bollockwort.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1838 on: 21 May, 2017, 07:42:50 pm »
My arm's in a state where operating a bicycle pump without pain is a possibility.  I can now report that the cause of the offending deflation was a snakebite puncture (so with hindsight, I'm surprised it stayed upright for as long as it did).  There's a corresponding inconsequential looking nick in the tread of the tyre.  In the absence of potholes, and given the rear tyre was unaffected, I conclude that I must have hit a stone.

While rebuilding the wheel with a new rim, I discovered a corresponding dent, as well as the abrasion damage from sliding along the road:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1839 on: 21 May, 2017, 10:00:23 pm »
I just googled the current cabinet, and the shadow cabinet, and it struck me how very white they both are. Sigh.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #1840 on: 21 May, 2017, 10:19:09 pm »
Blimey Kim.   Just seen this.   What have you been doing?

Heal well.   Did you get piccies of the damage to the fossilsaur?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1841 on: 21 May, 2017, 10:23:47 pm »
Blimey Kim.   Just seen this.   What have you been doing?

The crucial mistake seems to have been riding my bike down a hill with a few[1] loose stones on it at more than brisk walking speed.

Since then I've mostly been using up micropore tape and feeling sorry for myself.

Did you get piccies of the damage to the fossilsaur?

Yes, but it's even less exciting that the dented rim.

I've filled in some paperwork, so hopefully Slater & Gordon should be taking care of that...

[1] If there had been swathes of gravel, I'd naturally have taken it a lot more cautiously.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1842 on: 21 May, 2017, 10:32:38 pm »
I just googled the current cabinet, and the shadow cabinet, and it struck me how very white they both are. Sigh.

That's true, but compared to the population of the UK it's not surprising. The population of the UK is ethnically a little over 87% 'White/White British' according to Wikipedia - link, and the shadow cabinet is made up of 25 members, with the cabinet having 2723*. If you assume that cabinets are representative of the ethnicity of the population, that would mean that there should be  just over 3 members of the shadow cabinet, and almost exactly 3 members of the cabinet who are of another ethnicity.

I'm not sure I enjoyed doing this, and I wouldn't recommend grouping politicians by their ethnicity/gender/age etc., but I think the Labour Shadow Cabinet has 3 members who are of another ethnicity looking at photos, whereas the Conservative Government has one member. Interestingly they are all women.

So yes they are predominately white, but compared to the population, the Shadow Cabinet is around about where you would expect it to be, whereas other ethnicities are under-represented by 2 posts (or by 67%) compared to the national population.

*I counted more rows than there were - other stats edited accordingly. :-[
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1843 on: 21 May, 2017, 10:41:30 pm »
Thank you 😊
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1844 on: 21 May, 2017, 10:45:15 pm »
It's the gender balance that's (completely non) shocking.

« Reply #1845 on: 21 May, 2017, 10:47:57 pm »

You would be surprised how white large areas of the UK are. I think you get a distorted opinion of the percentage of non white people there are in the UK from the papers and TV. One of the thing that feeds the being overrun by immigration" story that some like to spout. Try an entire secondary school or primary school with 600+ pupils each non of whom are asian or black, that's the reality around here.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1846 on: 21 May, 2017, 10:48:39 pm »

Absolutely.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1847 on: 21 May, 2017, 10:54:37 pm »

M:F ratio is 13:12 in the Shadow Cabinet (and Dave Anderson seems have two posts as shadow Scottish and N.Irish Sec, so it's 12:12)

However in the actual Cabinet it's 15:8 in favour of men!
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1848 on: 21 May, 2017, 11:18:58 pm »
195 women out of 650 MPs, apparently. http://www.ukpolitical.info/female-members-of-parliament.htm I'm not sure how evenly distributed they are around the country; it's 4 out of 4 in Bristol (3 Lab, 1 Con) but I've no idea why it should be a "female MP hotspot" – if there even is any reason beyond coincidence.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1849 on: 21 May, 2017, 11:38:21 pm »
A few weeks back day, a picture popped up on my Linkedin feed, proudly announcing how some construction company or other had won a diversity award. I'm hoping it was a joke, as the people representing such a ground breaking company looked like they were all (a) male, (b) "white european" and (c) middle aged.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)