Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864235 times)

ian

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #2800 on: 01 October, 2018, 09:38:54 pm »
Quite spookily, I did leap the same conclusive delusion of cricketer and relative of the devil-worshipper

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2801 on: 02 October, 2018, 10:45:24 am »
That if you left Bristol's floating harbour in a narrow boat and headed upstream, after about two hours you would reach Hanham lock. Which would be handy for visiting the nearby Argos Cycles (and Kim's Cafe!). That's right, you're still firmly within Bristol and not even in the proper suburbs. I knew canal boats were slow, but didn't realize they were quite that slow.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2802 on: 02 October, 2018, 11:55:25 am »
I thought that a punk band called Ted Turd and the Toolsheds was a joke, made up by one of my mates. I have learned that it was a genuine band.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2803 on: 02 October, 2018, 12:27:20 pm »
That if you left Bristol's floating harbour in a narrow boat and headed upstream, after about two hours you would reach Hanham lock. Which would be handy for visiting the nearby Argos Cycles (and Kim's Cafe!). That's right, you're still firmly within Bristol and not even in the proper suburbs. I knew canal boats were slow, but didn't realize they were quite that slow.
4mph.  They will go a bit faster but it's discouraged as it washes away the banks.  Locks are the real time hog, though; if all the locks are against you (empty when you're going down, or full when you're going up) it can take ages to get anywhere.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #2804 on: 02 October, 2018, 12:33:46 pm »
It's also impossible to operate a canal boat without booze in hand. Leastways, it is in Londonshire. Unless it's in Hackney, in which case a bottle of wine will also suffice.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2805 on: 02 October, 2018, 12:58:27 pm »
It's also impossible to operate a canal boat without booze in hand. Leastways, it is in Londonshire. Unless it's in Hackney, in which case a bottle of wine will also suffice.

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/16908532.revellers-sink-canal-boat/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2806 on: 02 October, 2018, 01:06:47 pm »
Doesn't surprise me. I've seen drunks on canal boats here trying to spear swans.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2807 on: 02 October, 2018, 01:15:09 pm »
Doesn't surprise me. I've seen drunks on canal boats here trying to spear swans.

:o  I hope they got a broken arm.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2808 on: 02 October, 2018, 01:57:19 pm »
That the M25 remains a dreadful road with no alternative routes.

Five hours it took us to get from Heathrow to the East of the Eastern Angles. FIVE HOURS. It’s only a 119 of the BRITONS miles and it’s dual carriageway for all but the last spit. Damned pantechnicon drivers* , driving when they should be asleep in bed and not at the wheel. And the polis’s insistence in doing s full collision investigation there and then even though it means closing the motorway for hours during the peak travelling time.  Pah!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2809 on: 02 October, 2018, 02:05:22 pm »
Googling "Ebay Enlarger" produces quite a range of results. I was interested in flogging Dad's old photographic kit.  Rookie error to leave out the term "photographic", as I got lots of things to enlarge things other than photographs. Todgers, for example.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2810 on: 02 October, 2018, 02:09:46 pm »

Five hours it took us to get from Heathrow to the East of the Eastern Angles. FIVE HOURS. It’s only a 119 of the BRITONS miles and it’s dual carriageway for all but the last spit. Damned pantechnicon drivers* , driving when they should be asleep in bed and not at the wheel. And the polis’s insistence in doing s full collision investigation there and then even though it means closing the motorway for hours during the peak travelling time.  Pah!

There was an incident of a ball bearing fired at an HGV near Cambridge, head injuries for the driver.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2811 on: 02 October, 2018, 02:27:59 pm »

:o  I hope they got a broken arm.

Being drunk, they missed. Should have fallen in.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2812 on: 02 October, 2018, 03:56:36 pm »

There was an incident of a ball bearing fired at an HGV near Cambridge, head injuries for the driver.

There was me thinking we had a monopoly on dickheads in the North of England...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2813 on: 02 October, 2018, 03:59:53 pm »
There was me thinking we had a monopoly on dickheads in the North of England...

*gestures vaguely in the direction of the Westminster Gasworks*

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2814 on: 02 October, 2018, 04:06:48 pm »

Pissed up Yahoos. 'Yesterdays Boatorised Morons' would be a somewhat eclectic thread...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2815 on: 02 October, 2018, 04:51:41 pm »

Pissed up Yahoos. 'Yesterdays Boatorised Morons' would be a somewhat eclectic thread...

T'aint new. Here's some fiction:
A noisy and inconsiderate party of city-dwellers (dubbed the 'Hullabaloos' by the children) aboard the hired motor cruiser Margoletta threaten Number 7 nest by mooring in front of it. This nest is home of the coot with the white feather which is a mascot of the Coot Club and one of many of its monitored nests. Despite warnings "not to mix with foreigners", Tom stealthily loosens the Margoletta's moorings to save the nest and later hides behind the Teasel. Mrs. Barrable does not betray Tom to the Hullabaloos, instead asking him and the twins to sail the Teasel and teach the Callums to sail. Tom involves some of the other members of the Coot Club, the twin girls Port and Starboard Farland, and three younger boys — Joe, Bill and Pete (the Death and Glories).

from here

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2816 on: 02 October, 2018, 06:14:55 pm »
What I have learned is that Tim Hall read and remembers the same childhood books I did.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2817 on: 02 October, 2018, 07:12:17 pm »

I expect the canal boat forum have one, for when they're tired of discussing the finer details of bilge pump o-rings[1] and rabid brexiteering.

[1] IANA boatist, but I assume that's their equivalent of recumbent gear ratios.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2818 on: 02 October, 2018, 07:34:31 pm »
[1] IANA boatist, but I assume that's their equivalent of recumbent gear ratios.
Wouldn't that be something like drive-screw vane width? Probably in combination with rudder length and, I dunno, prow angle? But I'm sure bilge-pump o-ring sizes is a hot topic!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2819 on: 02 October, 2018, 07:46:32 pm »
In other news, I've just discovered that Captain Cyborg was responsible for Jimmy Savile's fixit-badge-dispensing robotic chair.  I know that makes perfect sense, but still.

« Reply #2820 on: 02 October, 2018, 07:52:03 pm »
Googling "Ebay Enlarger" produces quite a range of results. I was interested in flogging Dad's old photographic kit.  Rookie error to leave out the term "photographic", as I got lots of things to enlarge things other than photographs. Todgers, for example.

Remind me - how long you've been using the interwebs.....

ETA - Why weren't you at the Prince William Henry in Southwark last Thursday?
Your company was missed.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2821 on: 02 October, 2018, 08:50:13 pm »

As bad as an ex colleague of mine, looking for a toll manufacturer of a polymer searched for " llatex, rubber" predictable outcome. One click and he was never the same.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2822 on: 02 October, 2018, 10:09:05 pm »

Remind me - how long you've been using the interwebs.....

ETA - Why weren't you at the Prince William Henry in Southwark last Thursday?
Your company was missed.
Aw, shucks. I had half a plan to go but the following day involved a lot of driving, so I gave it a miss. Net time.

« Reply #2823 on: 03 October, 2018, 08:35:16 am »
That "cachinnation" is the sound of loud laughter.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2824 on: 03 October, 2018, 09:03:33 am »
I learnted that yesterday!