Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864175 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #5300 on: 29 June, 2021, 11:37:15 am »
They keep flashing up trailers for it during shitvert breaks on the live coverage of the Tour.  I not sure what kind of research they do into demographics but I suspect the overlap between “Cycle racing fans” and “People likely to watch 'Fuck Island'” is pretty minimal.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5301 on: 29 June, 2021, 11:41:17 am »
Given the article I’ve just read on the Graun website, I’m not quite sure how it’s being allowed to be broadcast. It sounds abhorrent.

It is remarkable that it hasn't gone the way of Jeremy Kyle yet. I know it's very popular with Young People though.

I've only ever seen it vicariously, via Goggle Box. Hasn't ever made me want to watch more.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #5302 on: 29 June, 2021, 12:00:14 pm »
They keep flashing up trailers for it during shitvert breaks on the live coverage of the Tour.  I not sure what kind of research they do into demographics but I suspect the overlap between “Cycle racing fans” and “People likely to watch 'Fuck Island'” is pretty minimal.

It must be targetted, I've not seen these.

Endless car adverts though, for shit oversized wankwagons on perpetually empty roads promising 'urban adventure' and 'mild hybrid power.' I assume 'urban adventure' is sitting in a traffic jam hammering the horn in frustration while counting down the remaining years of your life and mild electric power means it has a car battery.

For all concerned, I'd launch an unlubricated Saturn V sized dildo up their collective fundaments.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5303 on: 29 June, 2021, 01:01:34 pm »
"Mild hybrid power" likely means they got into trouble with the regulator for describing a petril car as a "self-charging hybrid".

I've never seen Love Island, but I assume it's incredibly cheap and extensive coverage of annoying young people vying to have sex with each other in a decidedly un-BRITISH climate.

« Reply #5304 on: 29 June, 2021, 02:27:11 pm »
Mild hybrids can’t (unlike “self charging” versions) aren’t able to run on electric power only. They replace the alternator with a generator, and just provide a boost to acceleration and faster restarting from the start stop systems.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5305 on: 29 June, 2021, 02:54:28 pm »
"self-charging hybrid" is a deeply silly Toyota-ism that makes me embarrassed to own one.

The mild hybrid ad is for the Nissan Qashqai. It starts with lots of puff about electric power and embracing the future and makes you think they've brought out an actual electric one. Which they haven't, which is a bit shit given Mitsubishi and Renault both have working EV/PHEV systems they could borrow.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5306 on: 29 June, 2021, 03:35:49 pm »
Half-time adverts during the European Championship of Ball Kickology are, or have been for us (I'm not sure if these are UEFA content or channel specific) a plug-in electric vehicle called a VW iD. I don't know if it's a hybrid or pure battery EV cos they tell you nothing about it – there is literally no speech (or other audio) and the only captions are the name of the vehicle – but I know it's a plug in cos you see a woman standing next to it, smiling, while an anbaric glow sweeps along a cable from socket to vehicle. It must be the slowest charger ever, she still hasn't driven anywhere.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #5307 on: 29 June, 2021, 04:25:40 pm »
What a "mild hybrid" is.  Which is this; pointless.  Up until now I had assumed it was one with good manners, "After you Claude.  No, after you Cecil."  Live and learn eh?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #5308 on: 29 June, 2021, 06:46:37 pm »
Ah. There was me thinking that the midlands was going to make its industrial comeback with the raw materials for beer-batteries. :(

« Reply #5309 on: 29 June, 2021, 10:20:39 pm »
What about the adverts for a toy car in weekly? instalments which, assuming the publishers maintain it to the bitter end, will cost the unlucky consumer North of £1200 for something which would struggle to exceed £20 at auction.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5310 on: 30 June, 2021, 09:35:01 am »
That during the Civil War, the Royalist forces besieging the Parliamentary town of Hull had a huge cannon, firing 36-lb shot, which they christened the Queen's Pocket Pistol. When it was captured by Roundhead troops, they renamed it Sweet Lips, after the town's most celebrated prostitute.

I'm wondering if this isn't some sort of ancestral behaviour of WW2 bomber crews painting pin ups on their aircraft.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5311 on: 01 July, 2021, 10:49:29 pm »
I take it back. I spotted these self charging "e-car" spaces today:

Presumably you just sit there and rev the engine.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #5312 on: 03 July, 2021, 09:43:18 pm »
Woodlice like strawberries, and, quite frankly, they're more than welcome to them.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5313 on: 04 July, 2021, 09:46:28 pm »
That Lincoln Street Llandysul is not named after the English city (?) but after the U.S. President.
Always assumed so, but nice to have it confirmed.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #5314 on: 04 July, 2021, 09:56:55 pm »
That X-Rays are luminescent, whereas radioactivity is phosphorescent. Roughly.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #5315 on: 05 July, 2021, 09:45:45 am »
I thought phosphorescence was a type of luminescence. I might be wrong though.

A good old cathode ray tube will dose you with x-rays as a boon to whatever you were watching.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5316 on: 05 July, 2021, 10:33:37 am »
AIUI:
Luminescence is just the emission of light (well, presumably any EM radiation) without incandescence (ie. glowing from heat).
Fluorescence is luminescence in response to stimulation by light at another wavelength.
Phosphorescence is delayed-action fluorescence, where energy is stored and light continues to be emitted after the stimulation is removed.

I'm not sure where the x-ray/radioactivity analogy comes in.  X-rays are just the next step up the EM spectrum from ultraviolet.  Radioactivity is atoms falling to bits and emitting things, which may or may not include gamma rays, the next step up from x-rays.  It's pretty hard to generate gamma radiation without radioactive decay, but x-rays and below may be produced by all sorts of methods (the typical x-ray tube being more or less a CRT TV screen minus the picture-drawing bits, with the anode voltage cranked up a bit).

X-rays, gamma rays and indeed particle radiation may all cause things to fluoresce/phosphoresce (hence the radium and tritium paints that combine[1] a radioactive isotope and a phosphor, old-timey x-ray fluoroscope screens, and some of their electronic equivalents).

[1] Note that the ionising radiation itself isn't visible.  At least not at any intensity that you're likely to survive exposure to, and even then it's probably cherenkov radiation or ionising the air that's causing the glow.  I recall reading that x-rays are visible in a dark room as a dull glow at the sort of intensities that people only shared a room with before they realised they were dangerous.

ian

« Reply #5317 on: 05 July, 2021, 11:12:25 am »
Indeed, x-rays are mostly generated by slamming high-velocity electrons into a tungsten target, x-rays are emitted as 'braking radiation' as those electrons rapidly slow down through collisions with tungsten nuclei. Old school x-ray generation resulted in some visible light photons, so there was a glow from the x-ray tubes. Being able to see the x-ray tube, of course, turned out to be a bad idea. Apropos of nothing, x-ray is the coolest name for something ever.

Cherenkov radiation is a similar-ish but not at all phenomenon that results in visible spectrum photons when particles end up travelling faster than the speed of light* in a medium (basically, when they pass one medium to another, and the phase velocity of light changes). Again, if you can see it, it's probably a really bad idea to say 'ooo, that's nice, let me get a photograph.'

Back when I used to work a 32-phosphorous, mostly a moderately high energy beta-emitter, so spits out a fast electron and an electron antineutrino, it was notable that exposed sources would attract flies. I assume that was because those electrons were causing some UV fluorescence in the acrylic shielding that the flies could see and humans couldn't. Or the flies wanted superpowers. They could have gone down the corridor, the people there were happily zapping them with full-on gamma rays.

*you can actually travel faster than the speed of light, provided that's not the speed of light in a vacuum.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5318 on: 05 July, 2021, 11:16:46 am »
Old school x-ray generation resulted in some visible light photons, so there was a glow from the x-ray tubes.

Indeed, but... *googles*

It was Röntgen who reported that the glow was visible from the other side of a wooden door.   :hand:

https://orau.org/health-physics-museum/articles/wilhelm-rontgen-invisible-light.html

ian

« Reply #5319 on: 05 July, 2021, 11:29:23 am »
In other exciting radiation trivia, we all have a weak gamma source in our house, the americium-241 in smoke detectors (primarily an alpha emitter, but it spits out low energy gamma photons if you fancy giving your cat a case of the Hulk.)

It's the only synthetic nucleotide in domestic use (and is made from plutonium). It decays to an isotope of neptunium with a half-life just over 2 million years. If you want to dispose of a smoke detector from a lab, you have to fill out acres of paperwork and spend a lot of money. If you want to do it at home, you toss it in the trash.

« Reply #5320 on: 05 July, 2021, 11:39:15 am »
That the award of a George Cross is worth 1% gross to your employer.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5321 on: 05 July, 2021, 11:55:03 am »
In other exciting radiation trivia, we all have a weak gamma source in our house, the americium-241 in smoke detectors (primarily an alpha emitter, but it spits out low energy gamma photons if you fancy giving your cat a case of the Hulk.)

See David Hahn, the radioactive boy scout

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5322 on: 05 July, 2021, 12:04:47 pm »
Disappointed to learn that he died from an OD rather than when his home-made particle accelerator malfunctioned and turned him into a warthog.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #5323 on: 05 July, 2021, 12:14:48 pm »
I'd forgotten about thorium in gas lamp mantles.

Old plates and pottery often have uranium glazes, and you can terrorize people by waving a Geiger counter over them. They're pretty safe though, the glaze is very hard and the uranium salts that provide the bright colours (primarily an alpha source, and not the isotope used in bombs) not very labile.

Of course, smoking cigarettes give you a nice dose of polonium (sadly, that nice President Obama, passed an act – much fought over by the tobacco lobby – forcing them to do something to reduce polonium levels in cigarettes – though arguably, if you're smoking in the first place, health concerns are not top of your agenda).

« Reply #5324 on: 05 July, 2021, 01:23:42 pm »
Today I've taken delivery of a box of scalpel blades.
They are sterilised.
Sterilised by gamma radiation according to what it says n the side of the box.