Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864328 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #5650 on: 27 November, 2021, 03:47:37 pm »
The rate of gun ownership in the US is 120 firearms per 100 people!   [I'm guessing that's just the ones they know about]

Next in the pecking order was the Falklands with 62/100 - the UK estimate is 5/100.

I should add that I have no interest in firearms having sold my air rifle in about 1995

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5651 on: 28 November, 2021, 10:40:32 am »
…the UK estimate is 5/100.
Hell’s bells! That’s loads more than I’d have thought!

Is that private ownership, or does it include all the guns in the country (like service stuff)?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #5652 on: 28 November, 2021, 10:54:21 am »
…the UK estimate is 5/100.
Hell’s bells! That’s loads more than I’d have thought!

Is that private ownership, or does it include all the guns in the country (like service stuff)?

Details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_civilian_guns_per_capita_by_country

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5653 on: 28 November, 2021, 11:17:13 am »
Also here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent_of_households_with_guns_by_country
which gives % of households owning guns of all sorts and % of households owning handguns. In the UK, 6% and 0.4% , presumably most gun-owning households are pheasant-shooting types or farmers with shotguns. In the USA, 42% and 22% so even there it's not the norm for a household or individual to own a gun; the figures are skewed by some nuts with multiple guns.*

*Just like the figures for pedal cycles per 1000 people in the UK are skewed by YACF!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5654 on: 28 November, 2021, 02:18:20 pm »
And of those owning handguns (which have been illegal since 1997) I would assume that they’re actually kept abroad by competitive shooters.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5655 on: 28 November, 2021, 06:26:57 pm »
That I was born on the last ever Empire Day in Britain.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5656 on: 29 November, 2021, 11:43:30 am »
If you ignore the relatively recent loanword 'elefanti', the Finnish word for elephant is 'norsu'.

So what? Well, a long time ago, Finns heard (probably from the Swedes) travellers' tales of big thick-skinned animals with majestic tusks living in far-away lands to the south. But they weren't that impressed, because they'd heard of such creatures existing up in the far north, which the Sami called 'morsa' (mursu/norsu in Finnish). When eventually they realised that they weren't in fact the same animal, to avoid confusion mursu came to mean 'walrus', and norsu was used for 'elephant'.

Or so they say.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5657 on: 29 November, 2021, 11:51:26 am »

IIRC I got my 11+ result (passed) on the last Empire Day

« Reply #5658 on: 29 November, 2021, 12:05:25 pm »

IIRC I got my 11+ result (passed) on the last Empire Day
I now have it confirmed you're not my Uncle Robbie because that was the day he found out he failed.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #5659 on: 29 November, 2021, 12:22:58 pm »
Also here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent_of_households_with_guns_by_country
which gives % of households owning guns of all sorts and % of households owning handguns. In the UK, 6% and 0.4% , presumably most gun-owning households are pheasant-shooting types or farmers with shotguns. In the USA, 42% and 22% so even there it's not the norm for a household or individual to own a gun; the figures are skewed by some nuts with multiple guns.*

*Just like the figures for pedal cycles per 1000 people in the UK are skewed by YACF!

Something odd there. If there is no significant difference between the numbers of people in gun-owning and non-gun-owning houses, wouldn't that mean that - in the average household where there is a gun at all, there are at least two for every member?
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5660 on: 29 November, 2021, 01:01:54 pm »

Something odd there. If there is no significant difference between the numbers of people in gun-owning and non-gun-owning houses, wouldn't that mean that - in the average household where there is a gun at all, there are at least two for every member?
By my not necessarily trustworthy arithmetic, if we assume 100 single-person households, of which 42 own guns, and the total number of guns is 120, that's just under 3 guns per gun owner.

That's for the US. It's difficult to work out for the UK cos the household figures are for the UK and the per capita and divided into constituent nations.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5661 on: 29 November, 2021, 02:31:02 pm »
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5662 on: 29 November, 2021, 04:01:10 pm »
What Josephine Baker did in WW2.  Wonderful.  And later, with MLK.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5663 on: 30 November, 2021, 06:31:00 pm »
And she's entered the Panthéon today :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5664 on: 03 December, 2021, 08:13:51 pm »
I discovered yesterday that the track “Warning” off of that Sabbath's eponymous debut album was in fact a cover, the original being by The Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation.  Which I learned when DJ Random played the said original, which I didn’t even know I had.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #5665 on: 03 December, 2021, 11:11:02 pm »
I discovered yesterday that the track “Warning” off of that Sabbath's eponymous debut album was in fact a cover, the original being by The Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation.  Which I learned when DJ Random played the said original, which I didn’t even know I had.
Thanks, I suppose. I'd completely forgotten about the Retaliation. I shall now have to go rummaging around the internet to satisfy  my nostalgia craving.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5666 on: 04 December, 2021, 01:33:03 am »
About the only other thing I know about Mr Dunbar is that he took over the Bluesbreakers' drum stool from Miss von Brandenburg's father-in-law.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5667 on: 04 December, 2021, 12:56:07 pm »
Today I are learning that Shark Tank is the USAnian version of Dragon's Den.  The original was a Japanese show yclept Money Tigers.  Which makes finding pictures of Bond villains consigning hapless underlings to the mercy of the elasmobranchs more trouble than it’s worth.

Also if you just put “shark” into a FWSE the first result is for a bloody vacuum cleaner ???

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5668 on: 04 December, 2021, 12:59:42 pm »
I believe the Shark vacuum cleaners are the new alternative for people who don't like Dysons.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5669 on: 04 December, 2021, 01:59:35 pm »
In as much as they're basically the same thing.

Speaking of not liking Dysons... https://youtu.be/CJlrbMHLBd4?t=1692

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5670 on: 04 December, 2021, 02:06:14 pm »
Today I are learning that Shark Tank is the USAnian version of Dragon's Den.  The original was a Japanese show yclept Money Tigers.  Which makes finding pictures of Bond villains consigning hapless underlings to the mercy of the elasmobranchs more trouble than it’s worth.

Also if you just put “shark” into a FWSE the first result is for a bloody vacuum cleaner ???

Bloody motorcycling helmet here.

Their under-banner menu includes Shark Racing, but it's just more bikey stuff.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5671 on: 04 December, 2021, 07:15:02 pm »
That there are things called Chupa-Chups Melody Pops, a cross between a boiled sweet and a kazoo.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5672 on: 04 December, 2021, 07:24:45 pm »
That there are things called Chupa-Chups Melody Pops, a cross between a boiled sweet and a kazoo.

Those were a thing when I was a young
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #5673 on: 04 December, 2021, 07:33:55 pm »
Yes, we had Chupa-Chups, they'd set you back 3p of your 10p mix, so you had to think is that brief farty noise they make when you blow through them worth the investment? Rarely was that the case. Not when 2p more would get you an entire Caramac.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5674 on: 04 December, 2021, 07:53:20 pm »
Oh I thought they were meant to be whistles or was that another company's imitation?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk