Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864112 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #6025 on: 22 March, 2022, 01:25:45 pm »
That reminds me.
Also riding along a fell road at dusk and seeing, flying directly ahead of me, an enormous pteridactyl type bird.
Massive wing span, with articulated wings going steadily up and down.
I eventually worked out it was 3 geese flying in a v-formation and wings beating in perfect synchrony.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6026 on: 22 March, 2022, 01:45:43 pm »
That reminds me.
Also riding along a fell road at dusk and seeing, flying directly ahead of me, an enormous pteridactyl type bird.
Massive wing span, with articulated wings going steadily up and down.
I eventually worked out it was 3 geese flying in a v-formation and wings beating in perfect synchrony.

Had the same happen to me on an Essex Audax, confused me for a bit until the angles changed and I could see two ducks.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6027 on: 22 March, 2022, 03:54:10 pm »
The grumble version of the BAFTAs is called the SHAFTAs.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #6028 on: 23 March, 2022, 05:17:46 pm »
If you want a dangerous farm animal look no further than a pig. They can be very big, very fast and aggressive.

The thing I've learned today is that France's longest land border is with Brazil.
Saw a clip of a leopard grabbing a wild boar piglet. The area was sand and the cat couldn't accelerate much; the sows charged and then were overtaken by a boar that rammed the cat. It dropped the piglet and fled.
Considering that a boar can make a hole in a man's thigh similar to that for a hip replacement, it's no surprise that a big cat can' afford to be injured by one.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #6029 on: 25 March, 2022, 08:09:04 pm »
What an epicrisis is.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6030 on: 26 March, 2022, 09:18:21 am »
Terry Jack's "Seasons in the sun" is an English version of a Jacques Brel song, le moribond.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6031 on: 26 March, 2022, 09:27:33 am »
Terry Jack's "Seasons in the sun" is an English version of a Jacques Brel song, le moribond.

.. with lyrics rewritten in 1963 by American singer-poet, the late, Rod McKuen.

Bit of a Rod McKuen fan here ... his Sea/Earth/Sky trilogy is brilliant.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6032 on: 26 March, 2022, 10:12:28 am »

Which tells a much blacker story: a dying man's biting farewell to his best friend, the local curé, his wife and his wife's lover.  The McKuen version is prettily banal.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6033 on: 26 March, 2022, 12:01:19 pm »

N Boulting: I knew that :smug:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6034 on: 26 March, 2022, 12:02:14 pm »
That my two times great grandfather was born in Paris. Does this mean I can apply for French citizenship? (Rhetorical)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6035 on: 26 March, 2022, 03:15:05 pm »
Courtesy of my wife, that the Times of London used to have its front page covered with adverts, and (courtesy of the Graun) this continued until 1966.  :o
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

robgul

« Reply #6036 on: 26 March, 2022, 04:43:39 pm »
Courtesy of my wife, that the Times of London used to have its front page covered with adverts, and (courtesy of the Graun) this continued until 1966.  :o

. . .  and The Times used to publish a collector edition every day that was a scaled down version (photographed) of the actual paper about 8" x 6", printed on very thin "airmail" paper.  [I have a copy somewhere . . . ]

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6037 on: 27 March, 2022, 05:52:23 pm »
We didn't get that answer in the quiz this week.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6038 on: 27 March, 2022, 06:23:35 pm »

I remember that from my paper round.  It was just a mass of birth, marriage and deaths, plus other announcements and general small ads.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #6039 on: 01 April, 2022, 11:28:28 am »
That the USA used to have a network of massive yellow concrete arrows every ten miles on the ground that were illuminated at night so that the US postal service planes could navigate at night before WWII and modern navigation systems.

https://youtu.be/-DfzbnW2DTI
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6040 on: 01 April, 2022, 12:00:02 pm »
My copy of Atlas Obscura says there are still some in Montana which haven’t been built on, ploughed under or sold to the fiendish Godless hordes of Beijing either, presumably marking the route to Seattle.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6041 on: 01 April, 2022, 01:11:39 pm »

I remember that from my paper round.  It was just a mass of birth, marriage and deaths, plus other announcements and general small ads.

Great fun, the Times front page: "Lt-General Charles ffewkesbourough-Combover announces that he will no longer be responsible for his wife's debts" - too much gin in the gin rummy again, eh?

I can remember the first time that news and (gasp!) photos appeared on the front page. Had all the fogies huffing and Good-Godding. You could hear the aneurysms popping a mile off.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6042 on: 01 April, 2022, 06:09:06 pm »
That former footballer Roberto Baggio is a Buddhist.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6043 on: 03 April, 2022, 03:37:22 pm »
Mansuete, manciple, esker, replevin and more in just two or three pages of Blood Meridian.  Whether I'll still remember them tomorrow is uncertain.

robgul

« Reply #6044 on: 04 April, 2022, 10:02:28 am »
My Garmin car satnav had an interesting instruction today that was a first - rather than the usual "turn right", "turn left", "at the roundabout" etc type commands it came with one that said :   "In nnn turn right at the red fish bar" -  that seemed a bit odd, but lo and behold there was a fish and chip shop painted bright red on the corner at the turn.   

I'm used to the voice pronouncing street names strangely but never a command like this one.

« Reply #6045 on: 05 April, 2022, 09:55:40 am »
I found out that I am potentially eligible for Hungarian*, therefore EU, citizenship via marriage. There are however a few complications:
  • I have been separated from my wife for 4 years!
  • We don't actually like each other
  • I need to pass a fairly basic language test. My Hungarian is ropey at best
  • There needs to be some evidence that we share a residence.
With a bit of gentle persuasion I might be able to coax some cooperation out of my ex, but there needs to be a certain amount of creativity to satisfy other requirements. I'm fairly sure that the language test can be passed with some directed tutoring.

* I know, I know! Beggars can't be choosers...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6046 on: 07 April, 2022, 02:09:26 pm »
That gollum is Irish Gaelic for pigeon. Which puts your fancy Italian tubing in a different light (or no light but a dark dank cave).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #6047 on: 08 April, 2022, 09:16:33 am »
Two types of pillow case: Oxford and housewife. Easy mnemonic: housewife has frilly bits at the edges.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #6048 on: 08 April, 2022, 09:59:14 am »
That the Pogues were formed as "Pogue Mahone" – the anglicisation of the Irish Gaelic póg mo thóin, meaning "kiss my arse"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6049 on: 08 April, 2022, 10:04:47 am »
The existence of this fascinating site: https://rappel.conso.gouv.fr/, being the list of products which have been subject to obligatory recalls since 2018, from cars to Kinder eggs. Quite entertaining unless you've bought one.