Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864187 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #6200 on: 09 June, 2022, 11:48:41 pm »
What an IDP is (prompted by  Mr Larrington) and that we don't need one for next month.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6201 on: 10 June, 2022, 09:24:27 am »
Today I are learning that novelist and great ponce Martin Amis wrote a book entitled “Invasion of the Space Invaders: An Addict's Guide to Battle Tactics, Big Scores and the Best Machines”, not as an attempt to win some kind of literary prize for “Most Pretentious Title” but as, well, a guide to Space Invaders.  With a foreword by Steven Spielberg.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #6202 on: 10 June, 2022, 12:07:59 pm »
I have discovered that there is a golf tournament (with much associated hoo-hah) called LIV, which has nothing to do with a female specific bicycle brand of the same name. The golf LIV relating to the Roman numerals for 54 which is something to do with the number of holes played (or public executions carried out during the tournament, or something else).

Also I discovered that there is a thing called a Presta Schrader rim hole grommet which allows the use of a tube with a Presta valve on a rim with a Schrader sized hole.  According to one source, these are 'often' supplied with Presta equipped tubes. How come I've never even seen one?
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6203 on: 10 June, 2022, 12:33:24 pm »
Also I discovered that there is a thing called a Presta Schrader rim hole grommet which allows the use of a tube with a Presta valve on a rim with a Schrader sized hole.  According to one source, these are 'often' supplied with Presta equipped tubes. How come I've never even seen one?
I have two. One make of Presta tubes (Specialized maybe) features valve lock rings with an ridge on them that locates into the Schrader sized hole too.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6204 on: 10 June, 2022, 12:46:02 pm »
They come as standard with Continental tubes (which I like purely for their yellow valve caps; yellow is fast, so my valves overtake my rims, or something).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6205 on: 10 June, 2022, 12:49:08 pm »
They come as standard with Continental tubes (which I like purely for their yellow valve caps; yellow is fast, so my valves overtake my rims, or something).
When it's at the top of the wheel, the valve cap is going nearly twice as fast as your bike!  :thumbsup:

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #6206 on: 10 June, 2022, 01:06:24 pm »
They come as standard with Continental tubes

OMG , so they do!
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6207 on: 10 June, 2022, 02:17:43 pm »
Grommets, eh?  Aren't they, like, people who really enjoy their food?

["No. No they are not." - Ed.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6208 on: 12 June, 2022, 05:08:52 pm »
Yesterday: that my favourite pizzeria for lunch on a favourite 150-200k bummel is closed at lunchtime on Saturdays.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6209 on: 13 June, 2022, 08:58:11 pm »
That all German addresses must have a house number and it must be visibly displayed. You could be fined if it can’t be seen from the road.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6210 on: 14 June, 2022, 12:01:05 am »
Miss von Brandenburg's parents' (numbered) front door faces out onto a footpath and I don’t recall seeing a number next to their back door.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6211 on: 14 June, 2022, 06:39:34 am »
I just checked with my GerMan and he said “yes, from the road” but I only found this when searching:

‘Die wichtigste Vorschrift zur Hausnummer steht im Baugesetzbuch. § 26 trifft hier eine unmissverständliche Regelung: "Der Eigentümer hat sein Grundstück mit der von der Gemeinde festgesetzten Nummer zu versehen."’ (The most important regulation on house numbers is in the Building Code. § Section 26 contains an unambiguous regulation: "The owner must provide his property with the number determined by the municipality.)

The Municipality then adds its own extra rules.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6212 on: 14 June, 2022, 11:56:45 am »
A new (to me) verb learned whilst chatting with the local painter and decorator last night.
To carcher.
Seems someone was carchering the building he'll be working on later in the week.  I had no idea and had to have it explained.
A bit like using the verb 'to hoover', it describes what you are doing, but not necessarily using that particular brand.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #6213 on: 14 June, 2022, 12:44:25 pm »
A new (to me) verb learned whilst chatting with the local painter and decorator last night.
To carcher.
Seems someone was carchering the building he'll be working on later in the week.  I had no idea and had to have it explained.
A bit like using the verb 'to hoover', it describes what you are doing, but not necessarily using that particular brand.

TIL that Kärcher (which is what I think is meant above) started off making industrial immersion heaters for use in smelting before switching to making pressure washers.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6214 on: 14 June, 2022, 04:10:57 pm »
To carcher.

TIL that Kärcher (which is what I think is meant above) started off making industrial immersion heaters for use in smelting before switching to making pressure washers.

Best-known brand of pressure-washers in France, and invariably mispronounced.  Sarko once said that he'd like to clean out the banlieue with one.

Coincidentally, the gadget I used on our windows today was also by them, a vacuum squeegee that sucked up the water as you squeeged it off the window. Bloody brilliant.

« Reply #6215 on: 14 June, 2022, 07:48:33 pm »
What Donk- and Swampbuggy- and Crown Vic-on-nitrous- racing are. In Florida, natch.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6216 on: 17 June, 2022, 11:18:04 am »
Today I are learning that a “chodbin” is also a container for the storage of chod rigs, which has something to do with carp fishing.  It is thus important not to get the two meanings confused.

« Reply #6217 on: 17 June, 2022, 12:32:10 pm »
That I am a riparian owner

This is because for those who don't know, which I didn't till I had a discussion with a neighbour recently, I have a brook running through the end of my garden

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6218 on: 17 June, 2022, 12:38:28 pm »
Lease the fishing rights ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6219 on: 17 June, 2022, 12:44:00 pm »
Lease the fishing rights ;D

We used to get minnows which were a PITA as would be watering the garden and a fish would fall put onto the soil and need returning to the water

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6220 on: 17 June, 2022, 02:36:14 pm »
There is a snail farm in the next village but one from ours, about 3 km away.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6221 on: 17 June, 2022, 03:46:55 pm »
at least you'll have time to pack if they go rogue and escape  ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6222 on: 17 June, 2022, 05:40:16 pm »
There is an algorithm which determines whether a given set of sections provides a basis (up to torsion) for the Mordell–Weil group of an elliptic surface E → S, where S is isomorphic to the projective line.

It's called the Cox-Zucker machine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cox%E2%80%93Zucker_machine

« Reply #6223 on: 22 June, 2022, 07:12:23 pm »
There are tiny mites which live in our facial skin pores - and they may be about to go extinct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-61894186

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #6224 on: 22 June, 2022, 09:40:45 pm »
The logical conclusion from that is we should all be kissing more often to improve their chances of survival. :demon: