Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864505 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #7300 on: 05 February, 2024, 03:47:30 pm »
(Yesterday) I learned that those huge cattle in 18th and 19th century paintings (Comme Ca) despite what that article said, actually were pretty fecking huge. As potential sale instructions, if the paintings weren't representative, there would have been trouble. Fat beasts were in favour because they weren't only bred for meat, but for tallow.

At least that's what the nice lady in fancy period dress told me at Beamish when we were laughing at the chonkiest of chonky cattle in the pictures.

Reminds me of something from a few years ago: https://merl.reading.ac.uk/blog/2018/04/history-behind-absolute-unit/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
what I have learned today.
« Reply #7301 on: 06 February, 2024, 09:43:50 pm »
What an atmospheric river is.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7302 on: 07 February, 2024, 08:48:56 am »
By coincidence, I read the same phrase last night, though only tangentially connected to weather. I think I'd heard it before but couldn't say it was part of my vocabulary.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7303 on: 07 February, 2024, 08:49:39 am »
What an atmospheric river is.

Ditto old colleagues of mine in CA.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #7304 on: 07 February, 2024, 06:54:17 pm »
Recently learned of these mesh plasterboard patches https://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/gyproc-easipatch-plasterboard-patches
Look like they should be handy for covering up the hole where the CH stat used to be and also where the old doorbell chime is, in conjunction with my now l33t filling skillz.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7305 on: 07 February, 2024, 10:11:21 pm »
That the association between tall pointy hats and practitioners of magic started in the 12th century when illustrations in a Zoroastrian book reached Christendom and were taken to show wizards. Later, in the 15th and 16th centuries, tall hats were worn by brewers, which was a typically female profession at the time (you could do it in small batches at home in between feeding the chickens and so on). The tall hats served as advertising in the market place. There was also an association between brewers and magic, because how else do you describe turning water into beer? And also because ale wives were relatively independent women, having their own income – and not least because they spent time getting pissed on their own wares! So the tall brewers' hat became merged with the tall pointy wizards' hat as a witches' hat.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7306 on: 08 February, 2024, 08:07:54 am »
 :thumbsup:  Nice.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #7307 on: 08 February, 2024, 03:34:04 pm »
That until 1968 police officers wore an armband on their left cuff to indicate that they were on duty. Like this one talking to Irish playwright Sean O'Casey. They could wear their uniform without being on duty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_armband
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #7308 on: 08 February, 2024, 09:29:00 pm »
What Dry Needling is.

Now in proper pain, both calfs. Can hardly stand let alone walk. Not impressed.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7309 on: 09 February, 2024, 07:34:33 am »
That until 1968 police officers wore an armband on their left cuff to indicate that they were on duty. Like this one talking to Irish playwright Sean O'Casey. They could wear their uniform without being on duty.

I thought there was also some rule about armbands when a policeman was directing traffic?   [For younger readers: yes policemen did direct traffic on some junctions at busy times - especially in London in the 1950s/early 60s]

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7310 on: 09 February, 2024, 08:01:06 am »

I thought there was also some rule about armbands when a policeman was directing traffic?   [For younger readers: yes policemen did direct traffic on some junctions at busy times - especially in London in the 1950s/early 60s]

In 60's Edinburgh there was just one policeman who could handle the rush-hour traffic at the staggered junction of the Mound, Princes St. and Hannover St. on his own.  He was very relaxed about it. We used to call him the Smiley Policeman for he always was.  Other peelers needed to be two-up.

« Reply #7311 on: 09 February, 2024, 11:14:33 am »
What Dry Needling is.

Cf acupuncture?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7312 on: 09 February, 2024, 11:37:55 am »
What Dry Needling is.

Cf acupuncture?

I have no idea what the difference is between acupuncture and dry needling. The intended benefit was removal of the muscle knots. It caused Cramps in both legs calf muscles, not sure why the physiotherapist was so determined to do it, nor why he would do it to both calfs in one session??? He did not ask permission just went ahead with doing this dry needling (my first experience of it) after massaging both calfs. I had pulled the right calf when doing the last set of exercises he gave me, and had just about fully recovered from that episode (I was seeing him regarding Achilles injury late summer 2023). Caught a bus 3 miles home, after a painful walk to the bus stop, then covered the last 250metres on foot, which took 10 minutes. Still in pain with both calfs, 17 hours after the treatment. 
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7313 on: 09 February, 2024, 11:53:40 am »
Not seeking consent is a major breach of basic professional standards. That is very seriously worth complaining about. Consent should be clear, informed and not coerced or rushed.

A GP of mine once stuck an acupuncture needle in me without warning or consent. He was trying to persuade us to try acupuncture for my vertigo. He chose the web between thumb and index finger which in my case is not typical cos of hand surgery as a child. It was meant not to hurt. It bloody hurt and startled me, and I wish we'd complained.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7314 on: 09 February, 2024, 01:29:09 pm »
Hah!  A neurologist once stuck a needle electrode into my calf and hit an artery, causing a haematoma the size of an egg that kept me off the bike for a month. The slapdash bastard didn't apologise, not even after my GP sent him a stiff letter.  No reply: he obviously didn't give a shit.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7315 on: 09 February, 2024, 01:59:46 pm »
Never heard of dry needling before. Just looked it up and it appears to be subtly different to acupuncture.

I have had acupuncture and found it surprisingly effective for pain relief. Surprising because I was very sceptical about it. It was performed by an NHS physio and entirely with my consent.

I'd be livid at someone sticking needles in me without asking first.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #7316 on: 11 February, 2024, 05:07:27 pm »

ICONIC MOTORCYCLE MOVIE EASY RIDER TO GET MODERN REMAKE

A remake of the motorcycle movie Easy Rider is already in the early stages of production according to rights holders

Maurice Fadida, one of the producers of the remake, explained:

“Our goal is to build upon the counterculture and freedom narrative the original left us with, and give the youth of today a film that pays serious attention to their own countercultures and challenges,” Fadida told Variety. “What the young viewers of today are experiencing in their everyday lives may seem crazy to older generations, but it can very well become the societal norm, as was the case with the cultural shift of the late 1960s. We are hoping to play a part in that shift.”

Will they have mobile phones and stuff?

Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7317 on: 12 February, 2024, 09:05:54 am »

ICONIC MOTORCYCLE MOVIE EASY RIDER TO GET MODERN REMAKE

A remake of the motorcycle movie Easy Rider is already in the early stages of production according to rights holders

Maurice Fadida, one of the producers of the remake, explained:

“Our goal is to build upon the counterculture and freedom narrative the original left us with, and give the youth of today a film that pays serious attention to their own countercultures and challenges,” Fadida told Variety. “What the young viewers of today are experiencing in their everyday lives may seem crazy to older generations, but it can very well become the societal norm, as was the case with the cultural shift of the late 1960s. We are hoping to play a part in that shift.”

Will they have mobile phones and stuff?

Maurice F can shove it.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7318 on: 14 February, 2024, 09:07:26 am »
Who Holly Valance is.

Seen the name pop up here and there recently, and assumed it was about a member of Frankie Goes To Hollywood.   :facepalm:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7319 on: 14 February, 2024, 09:41:48 am »
@rafletcher is correct.  'Dry needling' = acupuncture for all intents and purposes.  Medics tend to prefer to refer to 'dry needling' (or sometimes call it 'muscular stimulation') as they think it sounds more scientific.  Some try to claim that its different from acupuncture because it's about myofascial trigger points rather than 'energy'... but the reality is the clinical evidence for dry-needling is similar to that for acupuncture (in fact there's probably more evidence for acupuncture) and no real explanation of if/how/why it works.

As @barakta said, the failure the obtain informed consent is a big no-no.  I'd not go near that physio again and I'd make a complaint.  If this was done via health insurance, I'd let the insurers know - they're very hot on this at the moment.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

robgul

« Reply #7320 on: 14 February, 2024, 10:54:37 am »
Who Holly Valance is.

Seen the name pop up here and there recently, and assumed it was about a member of Frankie Goes To Hollywood.   :facepalm:

Clearly you were taking a Liberty - or confusing a town on the Rhone in France

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7321 on: 14 February, 2024, 10:56:16 am »
I urge you all to go lightly on the punnage here.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7322 on: 14 February, 2024, 02:23:24 pm »
I see what the feathery chap did there, and wish I hadn’t :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

robgul

« Reply #7323 on: 14 February, 2024, 02:33:46 pm »
I urge you all to go lightly on the punnage here.

Will do, but not until after breakfast

« Reply #7324 on: 14 February, 2024, 06:11:24 pm »
That the Australian version of thr Corsa was called the Holden Barina.

Is thatbthe Australian feminine form of Barry?