Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3905541 times)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1650 on: 03 October, 2008, 05:26:07 pm »
'I probably oughtn't to go on a Woolwich ferry ride - I made them miss it last time when I had a faerie strike'

Aha - I think Mr Mason mentioned that yesterday, he said that an Italian couple had a p****** and you missed the last ferry home or something?

« Reply #1651 on: 03 October, 2008, 07:46:26 pm »
'I probably oughtn't to go on a Woolwich ferry ride - I made them miss it last time when I had a faerie strike'

Aha - I think Mr Mason mentioned that yesterday, he said that an Italian couple had a p****** and you missed the last ferry home or something?

Are you suggesting that Clarion is Italian?

ROTFLMAO. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1652 on: 03 October, 2008, 08:53:32 pm »

Are you suggesting that Clarion is Italian?

ROTFLMAO. ;D

It does strike an image, doesn't it? Clarion as a gondolier, punting Madame Butterfly (for it is she) along the Leeds & Liverpool Canal singing that well-known aria "Would you like a flake in that, love?"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #1653 on: 04 October, 2008, 12:31:34 pm »
Yep, been out today.

I'm an intending to ride to Scouts each week and was just seeing how long it would take me as wasn't sure I would get there in time.

Will have to get some leg warmers or something similar, as its a bit brass monkeys.

Haven't been out for ages, saw a few lone cyclists too, who seemed happy with their lone journey.

I find cycling alone really uninteresting though :(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1654 on: 04 October, 2008, 12:52:40 pm »
A week is a long time in weather.

21+ miles on the tandem with Mrs. Wow. Last week it was shirt sleeves, today 3 layers. Even then the wind got through a bit.

« Reply #1655 on: 04 October, 2008, 01:19:33 pm »
35 or so brisk  & hilly miles from Crystal Palace out to the Kentish North Downs and back.
Early(ish) start meant it was ver cold.
New gloves work well - perhaps too well, once the sun had put in an appearance.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1656 on: 04 October, 2008, 10:07:23 pm »
25 miles tandemming round the hilly bits of S London from Sutton across to Crystal Palace (all but) looking at houses.

I'm not Italian. ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #1657 on: 04 October, 2008, 10:21:17 pm »
To the post office and for milk & bread before breakfast.

Then cycled with my son to orchestra. While he was there I ran a few errands on the bike, culminating in a trip to the LBS to sort out a long overdue bike-to-work order. Plumped for a Ridley Crossbow.

« Reply #1658 on: 05 October, 2008, 10:48:17 am »
Since it's GLORIOUSLY sunny outside, I'm going out now.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1659 on: 05 October, 2008, 10:49:45 am »
<john macenroe>
YCBSM!
</john macenroe>

« Reply #1660 on: 05 October, 2008, 05:24:36 pm »
I was supposed to go on the Pollards Hill ride going round old Victorian mental asylums (now disused/turned into flats) but got up at 8am, looked at the wind and the rain, and crept back to bed. I really wanted to do it but didn't relish the thought of all day in this kind of weather.

So I went to Lidl instead and bought so much food that the Globe tried to do a wheelie on the way home. It is rather 'orrible out there.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1661 on: 05 October, 2008, 05:39:11 pm »
I think that today is a strong candidate for Wettest of the Year in Saarfend. It's been grim. I wanted to get out, but it pissed down all day. I got soaked taking the dog to the park, had to change trousers & socks. I might still go for an after-dark pootle because the rain seems to have eased off, but it's still unpleasant and windy.

Chris S

« Reply #1662 on: 05 October, 2008, 05:47:38 pm »
Only by car. Bikes would have been officially Daft today.

Many back roads closed, and lots of others with deep water right across both sides. Sun's out now  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1663 on: 05 October, 2008, 05:47:55 pm »
We were thinking about going on the PHC ride, then had a possible house viewing which didn't come off.  But Butterfly went over to Bromley last night, and I went as far as the caff this morning ;D

Bikes?  Nah.  I'm a nesh southern jessie now (and bar).
Getting there...

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #1664 on: 05 October, 2008, 06:43:08 pm »
 :-\ Well I turned out for 'The Ride of the Falling Leaves' and it lived up to it;'s name, leaves washed down everywhere making the descents very dodgy,
 My sealskinz socks filled up halfway around so it felt like I was pedalling with buckets of water on my feet  :D

91 wet miles door to door :thumbsup:
"Don't stop pedalling"

alan

« Reply #1665 on: 05 October, 2008, 07:52:20 pm »

My sealskinz socks filled up halfway around so it felt like I was pedalling with buckets of water on my feet  :D

Your Sealskinz must be the same model as mine :(
The rain in mine last night was of the Blackpool variety with added sand & salt for flavour.
Having said that they made me warm & wet which is acceptable considering that I hate cold & wet.

alan

« Reply #1666 on: 05 October, 2008, 07:57:14 pm »
Not today but yesterday,did the Illuminations ride in the windiest & wettest weather I have ever ridden in ::-).The other new experience was being sandblasted whilst on a bike :o.
I realise now that I must be some sort of masochist because despite the weather I enjoyed the ride.The company made that possible.You know who you are :thumbsup:

« Reply #1667 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:01:43 pm »
32 and a bit miles round the lanes. Was out early and it was a bit chilly to start with, but it warmed up for the last half hour or so. The winter bike came out today too. The lanes were full of mud after the rain yesterday :(.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1668 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:24:36 pm »
Just a few miles to visit friends. It was weird. The sun was really quite warm, the air was very cold. Riding the bike it was chilly, off the bike it was warm and summery. Very strange but nice. Bit different from last nights ride mentioned up thread.

« Reply #1669 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:31:23 pm »
<john macenroe>
YCBSM!
</john macenroe>

I am serious.  And don't call me Shirley man.

It was wonderful - I had a long ride around the Yorkshire Dales, hopping over the tops a couple of times between Swaledale and Wensleydale, first the road from Grinton to Redmire, then Buttertubs Pass.  Finally, I rode up Stonesdale to Tan Hill, over the Stang to Barnard Castle and thence home.  8) 8) 8)

If it's any consolation, it was hoying down all yesterday.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #1670 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:35:54 pm »
Absolutely beautiful day in central Scotland too! Yesterday was hellish - torrential rain and strong winds, so much so that I didn't believe the forecast for today and had a long-lie. When I got up and discovered it was a brilliant day I headed out for a gently pootle down to Carnwath. Just got on the start of the Lang Wang (just outside Balerno) and met Neil McD of this parish coming the other way. A quick about turn and I joined him for a quick Tour De Forth - over the Forth Bridge to Fife and back over the Kincardine bridge. 100km in continuous sunshine, with excellent company. Such an unexpectedly enjoyable ride I'm still pinching myself!
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1671 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:39:05 pm »
Fabulous photos there Deano.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1672 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:43:07 pm »
Oh Deano, that's simply glorious!
Getting there...

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #1673 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:51:45 pm »
Valkyrie, it was a glorious day a wee bit further north too.
Our clubbie run started from Kenmore today, went along the south side of Loch Tay to Killin for the first Pot of Tea stop, up Glen Lochay and over the water board road  :o  :'(. and down to Bridge of Balgay for the second PofT stop, then down Glen Lyon - so really that bit of the Tayside Transgression in reverse - and back to Kenmore.
With apologies for the imposter in the foreground but, as you can see, it was lovely in Glen Lyon.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Chris S

« Reply #1674 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:54:32 pm »
Right now, anyone living South of the Humber is getting really really pissed at this thread. Stop the "It's been so f*cking sunny today" posts already!!

For the important parts of the country, it's been wet, cold and windy today. Oh - and wet. Really wet.

Please stop it. Right now.

Thank you.

Edit:  ;)