Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3905839 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1750 on: 12 October, 2008, 06:08:47 pm »
Have felt rough all day with a 2nd week of man-flu and felt even more miserable looking at a cloudless sky.

Bugger.

H

bobajobrob

« Reply #1751 on: 12 October, 2008, 07:05:52 pm »
Yes, and my first ride in two weeks after having a chest infection. Camped in Exmoor on Friday Saturday and rode a total of 88 miles with 2500m climbing over Saturday and Sunday.

border-rider

« Reply #1752 on: 12 October, 2008, 07:26:29 pm »
Missed the audax yesterday due to work and other commitments - glorious day it was, but I got a run in

About 12 miles today was all :(

« Reply #1753 on: 12 October, 2008, 07:32:06 pm »

Not today. Recovering from a Mesh 200 yesterday. Ride was fine but recovery takes too long!

« Reply #1754 on: 12 October, 2008, 08:08:33 pm »
Pootled along Middlesex roads and canal paths on Airnimal and Brompton. Pub stop at the strangely unreal place that is Stockley Park.

« Reply #1755 on: 12 October, 2008, 08:16:30 pm »
Took the recently fettled Daisy out.  Our friend (who has been very ill) came along and we had a breakfast stop at Hilltop Farm, Hunningham. 

Lovely day.  30+ easy miles, fantastic cooked breakfast, quiet roads and great company.   Bit too much sun for my liking though  ;)

Fettling of the eccentric eccentric (so to speak!!) proved to be a great success too   :thumbsup:   So much so in fact that when I got back I tended to the front mech adjustment which has been a bit temperamental.  I'm hoping that it is now ready for the Northants Random Tandem ride next weekend.   ;D   

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1756 on: 12 October, 2008, 08:48:02 pm »
45 mile round trip to see my dad in Lichfield.

I'm a lot fitter than I was a year ago.   :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #1757 on: 12 October, 2008, 09:30:40 pm »
45 mile round trip to see my dad in Lichfield.

I'm a lot fitter than I was a year ago.   :thumbsup:

Aha! I knew it!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1758 on: 12 October, 2008, 09:51:22 pm »
I spent most of the day on trains, but crossing London was very warm indeed. Arrived home to find the thermometer hovering around the 20° mark, making it one of the hottest days of 2008. ;)

I still can't find a decent way out of King's Cross which avoids having to walk 2000m of Grays Inn one-way.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1759 on: 12 October, 2008, 10:50:03 pm »
A nice lazy pootle trying to find the latest chunk of Sustrans path between Starcross and Dawlish... which turns out to be a nice little bit at the North end of Starcross, and then it disappears, and then reappears after the village, then turns into roads.  Still not finished and lots of signage yet to put up.

Gods, but it was a lovely day, though.

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #1760 on: 13 October, 2008, 08:26:17 am »
Two hour ride around the hills of the Vale trying to get Newport's track session out of my legs. I had a nagging feeling that the back of the bike would jump if I stopped pedalling.

Faith, hope and gluttony.........

« Reply #1761 on: 13 October, 2008, 08:30:26 am »
Rode to work :(

I can't believe how warm it is - I was sweating even in shorts, SS jersey and arm warmers.

« Reply #1762 on: 13 October, 2008, 09:11:14 am »
A really solid ride yesterday. I woke up with a bad throat, feeling really rough. But I didn't ride last WE and had arranged to meet up, so I went. I was okay although not great in the first hour. The landscapes were spectacular with fog lifting up from the fields as we were leaving at 8:30. The sun did not falter and kept getting warmer and so did I. We maintained a good, even pace, travelling through glorious rural Leicestershire. I finished really strong managing to drop my colleague twice on long, flat sectors in the last 30 min. and after 2h 45 of riding. I was on fixed, he was on gears. I paid for it a bit in the afternoon though with a bad headache, but got up feeling better today than I did yesterday today.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

LEE

« Reply #1763 on: 13 October, 2008, 04:05:36 pm »
Yes, at lunch 14.5 miles (my usual loop).

I noticed, after about 11 miles, that I hadn't passed or been passed by any cars at all, not even on the 300 metre stretch from my house and along a bit of main road to get me into the country lanes !

It's never exactly busy but this had a bit of a "28 Days Later" feel about it. 

I grabbed a quick camera-phone snap as a memento (actually this road is always fairly deserted) and then, about 20 seconds later a car came from the other direction just as I was hoping to do the entire route car free.

The main road was also back to normal when I got near home.  Still, here is the end of 11 miles of car free cycling.  Very nice.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1764 on: 13 October, 2008, 04:08:14 pm »
Bliss.
Getting there...

« Reply #1765 on: 13 October, 2008, 10:38:47 pm »
Yesterday, 55 miles in hazy Autumn sunshine.

My daughter was helping to organize a charity duck race on the Gower, so I went the long way round on the bike to meet up with the rest of the family.

Cilonen to Welsh Moor

Llanrhidian and North Gower

Broad pool under Cefn Bryn

A hazy Three Cliffs

By Ilston village

You could put a mark on the map, and none of those photos were taken further than a mile and a half from it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1766 on: 13 October, 2008, 10:43:49 pm »
It's hard to beat the Gower peninsula on a fine day. Must go next year...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1767 on: 14 October, 2008, 11:11:37 am »
Pretty :)
Getting there...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1768 on: 15 October, 2008, 12:20:32 pm »
Had to attend a rally-the-troops 'workshop' in Milton Keynes yesterday. Getting to MK usually involves trundling down the M3, crawling round the M25, then sitting motionless on the M1. Last time I had to go there I vowed that the next time would be by bike.

So that's what I did yesterday.

Started off from Fleet at 4:50. Deserted roads S of Reading, then through Twyford and Henley, up through the Chilterns through Stonor, across Christmas Common just as it was getting light, and through Thame to arrive at 10:25 for a 10:30 start.

However, I had a very sudden rear-wheel deflation in the Chilterns, and another about 40 km further on when I found the cause - a half-inch gash in the Krylion's sidewall. So I swapped the inner tube, put some cardboard between the tube and the gash, pumped the tyre to 60psi, and carried on.

It was probably foolhardy to decline several offers of lifts, and set off back home with a dodgy back tyre and no spare inner tubes, but that's what I did. Everything behaved, the cardboard did its job, and I eventually got home at about 11, although I was on my last legs.

145 miles round trip - my longest commute ever (and at 20p/mile, I should be able to afford a new tyre).
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1769 on: 15 October, 2008, 12:39:35 pm »
Excellent commute! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #1770 on: 15 October, 2008, 12:57:16 pm »
Went out for my lunchtime loop yesterday and saw these two fellas fly-fishing by one of the River Test fishing huts.  I've never really been interested in fishing but this looked a nice, relaxing way to spend time by the river.

I wonder if they had Trout for dinner.

alan

« Reply #1771 on: 16 October, 2008, 08:56:48 am »
I am leaving home in the next 15 mins or so to ride to Welshpool:approx 75 miles.

Marj wants to ride her MTB around Lake Vyrnwy,approx 12 miles, so that will probably be on Saturday & then on Sunday I plan to do Welshpool to Montgomery,approx 25 miles.

LEE

« Reply #1772 on: 16 October, 2008, 11:38:48 pm »
30 dark Hampshire country-lane miles tonight, 7:30pm-9:30pm.  Spectacular full-moon but had to put my ski-band (ear warmer) and my Montane Featherlite waterproof on after a while as it was fffffreezing.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #1773 on: 17 October, 2008, 11:25:47 am »
Did just over 70 miles yesterday with the 40+CC.

Excellent pub lunch at the Green Man in Little Braxted. If you like a large portion (Fnaar! Fnaar!) that's the place to go!

Oh, and there was a clipless moment.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1774 on: 17 October, 2008, 11:31:55 am »
The Green Man is a very fine pub.

I've just had commute/errand type rides for the past three days.