Author Topic: Darksiders: How long is yours?  (Read 9616 times)

Re: Darksiders: How long is yours?
« Reply #25 on: 05 February, 2014, 04:38:32 pm »
I'm too late to the party, but anyway: Challenge Furai 26": chain guard to rear light: 188cm, chain guard to back of rear wheel: 196cm.

I'm a fan of dangly spaces, but am a 5'10" male in his thirties and appreciate your objections. Probably the best way is the German Intercity way: about 2/3 to 3/4 is normal bike space, and a small amount is dangly. My bike often is a bit too long to properly fit into Dutch bike spaces, but when I put it upright it takes up no space at all. The seat width is 26cm, the steerer 27cm. In busy trains I have put it upright, using a lashing to secure the front wheel to a solid handle near the doors in between carriages.

The widest bit of my bike is the Radical L top bag, but I take that off on trains.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 05 February, 2014, 09:20:15 pm »
If they came in a dedicated wagon with plenty of space, staff overseeing the loading and unloading, and room to bung unconventional cycles at floor level when needed, they wouldn't be a problem.
They had the staff to do that back then cos labour was so cheap. See the buffet car - and it was a buffet car not a dining car!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 05 February, 2014, 10:34:13 pm »
I do wonder if there's any merit in running some cyclists' specials with appropriate rolling stock.  I can imagine it working to choice destinations like the Penzance, Thurso, Brighton, Dunwich, that sort of thing.  I suspect the "appropriate rolling stock" is the problem.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #28 on: 06 February, 2014, 01:20:19 pm »
One thing they don't mention in that little film is how much the tickets cost. It's also not clear whether the whole train was a cyclists' special or if they just tacked on a couple of special dangly-rack waggons to a timetabled train. Organised by the CTC but I can't imagine them doing it now.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #29 on: 24 June, 2014, 04:34:11 am »
For reference, here's my list:

Code: [Select]
Cycle            Geometry      Width      Height      Length

Hase Kettwiesel         Delta         860      800      1600-2050
HPV Spirit          CLWB         660      1245      1800
M5 CityMate         CLWB                     1800     
HPV Grasshopper       SWB         650            1820
Bachetta Giro 20      SWB         610      1145      1830
Lightning P-38 (XL)      SWB         500      1260      1880
HPV Streetmachine      SWB         600      1100      1900
ICE Sprint RS         Tadpole         800            1900
ICE Sprint 26         Tadpole         800            1900
HPV Speedmachine      SWB         600            1950
Challenge Fujin         SWB                     ~1980
Sprint FS (hardshell seat)   Tadpole         800      800      2050
Nazca Fuego         SWB         533      890      2080
DIY SWB            SWB                     2100
Hase Pino         Mixed Tandem      640      110      2100-2370
DIY wooden lowracer      SWB                     2130
Circe Helios         Upright Tandem      585      1070      2160
Radius Dino         LWB                     2250
RANS V2 F26 (XL)      LWB         730      1230      2440   
EZ Clone          LWB                     2463

ICE Sprint         Folded         800      495      1041
            Quick fold      800            ~1200   

Will report back on the IEP tomorrow...

Challenge Concept 80mm Tadpole, 800mm Width, 760mm Height, 1850mm Length, that's with it setup for me who's 5'3.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Datbloke

• It's all gravy
« Reply #30 on: 25 June, 2014, 07:02:46 pm »
I do wonder if there's any merit in running some cyclists' specials with appropriate rolling stock.  I can imagine it working to choice destinations like the Penzance, Thurso, Brighton, Dunwich, that sort of thing.  I suspect the "appropriate rolling stock" is the problem.

That'd be a train with a freight wagon hitched on the back ... Should be possible, and probably sell out too.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #31 on: 25 June, 2014, 10:33:28 pm »
I do wonder if there's any merit in running some cyclists' specials with appropriate rolling stock.  I suspect the "appropriate rolling stock" is the problem.

That'd be a train with a freight wagon hitched on the back ... Should be possible, and probably sell out too.

Canada's Bike Train is almost exactly this in every respect.  They put my RANS onboard no questions asked.

http://www.biketrain.ca/about-us/watch-the-bike-train-video
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #32 on: 01 July, 2014, 11:57:17 am »

Probably not possible.

Every combination of carriages has to be approved (safety tested etc). With good reason, too. Imagine if they hitched a freight car to a set of passenger coaches and it turned out that the freight car couldn't corner at the same speeds as the passenger coaches?

I can't imagine any commercial company paying for the testing and approval process unless they planned to run regular commercial services with that combination of coaches.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #33 on: 01 July, 2014, 12:05:56 pm »
It used to be common but not nowadays. One of the reasons it's not done now is that freight and passenger are often run by different entities.
Frinstance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_train

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 03 September, 2015, 10:37:56 pm »
Threadcromancy, but I just came across this:  https://twitter.com/transportgovuk/status/639504300532740096/photo/1

I can confirm that rendering of the bicycle space to be accurate.

« Reply #35 on: 04 September, 2015, 07:00:04 pm »
It's all down to the cost of the amount of space the carriages take up, a freight wagon (shall we say) might take almost the space without the revenue returns (or so it was told to me)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.