Author Topic: Positive Thinking and Cycling  (Read 2743 times)

Positive Thinking and Cycling
« on: 25 May, 2008, 11:14:18 am »
Prior to the BCM I knew that if I got my feeding right my legs and guts would be fine.  The only aspect of the unknown about my body was my mind.  For me this is very much linked to my feeding though as if I get low so does my mood.

I read an article in C+ some time back about positive thinking and how it can help so on the BCM I was doing this quite a lot.  It was actually easy to do as I was having so much fun that I was Mr Positive anyway.

I was reading the Feb issue yesterday and saw an article about visualisation.  It stated that there are many benefits including creating a positive situation.  On the BCM while climbing I was actually doing this too.

I fully appreciate that I am no Rasmussen or Contador but I remember vividly the images from last year's tour and that was what I was thinking about on some of the longer climbs on the BCM.  It certainly worked for me.

Does anyone else play around with their mind while cycling?

Re: Positive Thinking and Cycling
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2008, 11:16:51 am »
Yes of course.  Always have done. Not just when cycling.

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2008, 11:20:19 am »

Does anyone else play around with their mind while cycling?

It's the only way to keep going on long, long rides.  Especially perms.  Your thoughts and state-of-mind can make or break the ride.

You might ask whether introspective people are drawn to audax, or whether it's the audaxs that make them introspective  :)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2008, 01:39:05 pm »
It would seem that for me, with distances over 200k it is all in the mind.

H

« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2008, 10:08:08 pm »
We'll see how much my previous rides have trained my thousand-yard-stare this week when I attempt a solo DIY 400.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

CathH

« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2008, 02:52:24 pm »
Definately, with the monster hill I have to get up right at the end of my ride to work.  As I'm going up and spinning tiny gears, I imagine that I am riding along a level road, with beautifully smooth tarmac, effortlessly zipping along!