Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 638128 times)

Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #875 on: 03 May, 2011, 07:34:32 am »
My guess is that they fold - the rear triangle rotating about the vertical section of seattube just in front of the bottom bracket.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #876 on: 03 May, 2011, 09:53:23 pm »
My guess is that they fold - the rear triangle rotating about the vertical section of seattube just in front of the bottom bracket.

Got it in one ;D

Bridgestone GrandTech & variants thereof...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #877 on: 03 May, 2011, 09:55:29 pm »
Rudge Bi-Frame did it better.
Getting there...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #878 on: 04 May, 2011, 09:13:34 pm »
I saw a gentleman riding a purple ordinary along by the river in Battersea this evening.

It looked to be a modern one as the rims matched the frame colour.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #879 on: 04 May, 2011, 09:31:58 pm »
A Dyna-tech Corsa 405 Titanium. It looked like a classic 80's geometry, lugged frame, down tube levers, and a beautiful red fading to silver paint job all of which made me question the decal which read Titanium.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #880 on: 04 May, 2011, 09:43:11 pm »
There were certainly DynaTech Ti bikes.  ISTR the Dynatech thing was that the frames were glued together using aviation bonding technology.
Getting there...

« Reply #881 on: 04 May, 2011, 09:53:56 pm »
So the decals were true. It looked wonderful and was set up for TTs, with tri bars and gear ratios to match. It was just a pity the owner wouldn't take his ipod out so that I could compliment the bike before the train arrived.

« Reply #882 on: 07 May, 2011, 08:46:04 pm »
Saw a really strange 'bike' t'other day but did not have photography equipment to hand. Local market day was on and saw a chap moving on a three wheeled vehicle (smal dia wheels) moving from side to side and treading on paddles of some sort.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #883 on: 08 May, 2011, 06:25:08 pm »
Sounds like a Trikke.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #884 on: 08 May, 2011, 09:44:00 pm »
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #885 on: 10 May, 2011, 08:54:46 am »
On the train back from Whitstable on Sunday (on which there were at least half a dozen bikes), there was a classic Guerciotti.  Early 80s, at a guess, and in good condition.

Yesterday, I saw a smart looking, if tatty, silver mixte being wheeled along by a woman.  I was surprised to find out it was an Allin.  I'm not sure of the history, but I think it must be 1970s at the latest.
Getting there...

« Reply #886 on: 11 May, 2011, 09:20:26 am »
On the Cambridge 300, near Carlby in Lincolnshire, a penny-farthing in racing green:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #887 on: 11 May, 2011, 10:27:30 pm »
In Hyde Park yesterday, a bike with what looked like a frame made of a pair of parallel square section tubes, if you see what I mean. Just in a straight line from head tube down to rear axle, with seat tube sticking up.  Wheel seemed to be 26 inch.

No pictures I'm afraid and I was about 50m from it.

Any clues?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #888 on: 11 May, 2011, 11:23:21 pm »
Saw Dursley Pederson dude again last night.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #889 on: 12 May, 2011, 08:47:14 am »
Following on from my unexpected sighting of an Allin the other day, this morning, I spotted an old gent (not in cycling clothes) pushing a rather elegant black framed bike with red writing on it.  As I passed, I read the gothic-esque script and realised I was looking at a tatty Ephgrave! :o
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #890 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:47:08 am »
Yesterday, a nice early '80s 531 frame with fancy lugs built by an outfit called Stride of Southampton. Very small frame ridden by a very short woman, who clearly loved it very much.  :)

This morning I (on foot) hear a wheel noise behind me. Was about to get annoyed by another pavement cyclist when a teenage boy (maybe 13 or so) whizzed past me on a unicycle. He was obviously using it to commute as he had a rack attached to the post, on which he was carrying a school bag. That made me  :D not  >:( .
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #891 on: 16 May, 2011, 09:00:08 pm »
I saw a Calfee Bamboo bike locked up in Horsham town centre.  It was very pretty.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #892 on: 16 May, 2011, 09:25:54 pm »
I also saw a chap in Balham on a smart classic road bike - sort of greeny-blue with chromed ends and an Italian-sounding name, and dripping with Campag Record.  I tried to remember the name, but, when I got to Tooting, i saw the clown with the tyre off, and I was a bit flabberbegasted.  Anyway, I've seen this fast chap once before.  He is extremely fit, and today was wearing a 'World Masters Championship' jersey.  Very cool.  I wanted to ride with him a bit longer, but he took a more marginal route across a congested Tooting Bec junction, and then I got stuck behind some cautious riders, so he was away. :-\

I must look out for him again and get what his bike is.

I just remembered.  It was a Daccordi.

Saw this chap again today.  He was riding up from Clapham, and passed me, but I stayed with him up past the Common to Clapham South, where he used his superior experience of bunch riding to pass other cyclists who I would give a wider berth to, and he was away.

I noticed that, despite his perfect shiny bike, and stylish demeanour, his shorts had a rip in them.  I hope he hadn't had an off.
Getting there...

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #893 on: 21 May, 2011, 03:56:48 pm »
A Penny Farthing on a cyclepath on the approach to Chelmsford.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #894 on: 21 May, 2011, 03:57:41 pm »
Friday lunchtime.  A Kona Jake on Borough High St.  Not so unusual, but I was amused that it was parked outside Belushi's.
Getting there...

« Reply #895 on: 21 May, 2011, 07:50:53 pm »
Lunchtime today:
At Reading library, an MBK Confort, with sticker from a bike shop in Calais, & continental brake set up

More interesting: Locked up in Broad Street, Reading, an old Bevilacqua (from Cicli Bevilacqua of Pescara, a bike shop dating back to 1905 & now called Bevilacqua Sport). Dunno what tubing the frame was, but the forks were Oria, gruppo Nuovo Record (7 speed), Saccon brakes (probably not original - looked newer), Campagnolo headset & rims. Stem was new, saddle a cheap looking fat San Marco gel thing, which with the badly corroded fluted seatpost (original?) held on by a nut & bolt badly let down a generally nice old bike.

Most expensive bike in their online shop 6900 Euros.

History of the Bevilacqua racing team: http://www.bevilacquasport.it/it/storia/index_ne.html
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #896 on: 01 June, 2011, 10:38:38 am »
Saw two unusual bikes yesterday, but couldn't see the names.  The first bike was flat-barred, hub-geared commuter, all looked rather sensible, but it had no top tube.  The second bike had a top tube but no down tube.  ???

Any ideas?

Sincerely,

Befuddled in the City.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #897 on: 01 June, 2011, 10:44:21 am »
The second bike had a top tube but no down tube.  ???

Any ideas?

Some kind of folder, like a Swissbike?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #898 on: 01 June, 2011, 10:51:01 am »
The second bike had a top tube but no down tube.  ???

Any ideas?

Some kind of folder, like a Swissbike?

Don't think it was a folder.  What tubes there were seem to be of normal size.  One other thing which was different (IIRC) was that the seat stays ended at the top tube, a short distance in front of the seat tube.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #899 on: 01 June, 2011, 10:53:57 am »
Well, that might suggest it was a GT, but I couldn't tell you what it was ???
Getting there...