Author Topic: Pine Shelf  (Read 1480 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Pine Shelf
« on: 22 April, 2019, 08:42:11 pm »
David has just bought a pine shelf from B&Q for his 'summer house', a small wooden shed in the garden, which is used as the 'warm room' for the observatory complex.

The shed has MANY glass windows and thin wooden walls. It's fairly watertight. Solar gain means temperatures can peak at around 40C but the shed's situation at far end of the garden mean its night time minimum temperature is a couple of degrees below that closer to the house. David heats his warm room with an electric convector when he observes in the winter. I suspect there are also HUGE fluctuations in humidity in this shed.

He has a similar shelf he varnished with PU a few years ago. The varnish has turned to powder and is clearly unsuitable!

Should he paint/treat/stain the wood or leave it well alone?

Re: Pine Shelf
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2019, 09:09:22 pm »
Beeswax polish would work.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2019, 09:21:46 pm »
A wood oil will also work well, eg Tuck Tung oil, linseed oil or, preferably, Danish oil.

(Edit to correct typo  :P)

P.S. I use one called "Flurit" - produced by Mobil in South Africa and is the preferred method of treating SA hardwood furniture in the hot and dry climate there - leftovers from a previous life.

« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2019, 07:11:10 am »
A wood oil will also work well, eg Tuck oil, linseed oil or, preferably, Danish oil.

I think TDM meant tung oil not tuck oil. I agree any of these will let the wood breath and wont turn to powder. Linseed oil is what was traditionally used on garden tool handles for example, lovely stuff. You can get normal or boiled linseed oil. Boiled is easiest to work with as it dries out in a few hours rather than a few days ! Its not actually boiled it just has some additives to act as a catalyst to drying. Danish oil is a mixture of tung oil and linseed oil along with a variety of other oils and drying agents. All are good and can be reapplied in several coats immediately or on an ongoing basis to keep the wood protected. Danish oil is what people often use on wooden kitchen counter tops.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2019, 12:33:36 pm »
Thanks everyone!

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2019, 08:38:35 am »
Would a helmet protect your shelf?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?