Author Topic: Thingie on a solid axle  (Read 5983 times)

Thingie on a solid axle
« on: 20 May, 2008, 11:01:58 pm »
You know the thingie I mean?  :P

OK, so the track nut has like a serrated surface to grip the dropout. On the inside of the drop out, the final spacer thing is also serrated for the same reason.

The trouble is, to avoid the shaking of heads from yackers, I needed to stop the chain going slack. So I've been cranking the track nuts right up. And I've gone and split one of them in half!

I looked at some cheap solid axles in a crappy shop that sells bikes at lunchtime today and none of them had them.

What are they called and where on Earth can I get some?

I'm stuck on gears until I can sort at least one of these thingies  :(
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Re: Thingie on a solid axle
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2008, 11:24:38 pm »
You know the thingie I mean?  :P

OK, so the track nut has like a serrated surface to grip the dropout. On the inside of the drop out, the final spacer thing is also serrated for the same reason.

The trouble is, to avoid the shaking of heads from yackers, I needed to stop the chain going slack. So I've been cranking the track nuts right up. And I've gone and split one of them in half!

I looked at some cheap solid axles in a crappy shop that sells bikes at lunchtime today and none of them had them.

What are they called and where on Earth can I get some?

I'm stuck on gears until I can sort at least one of these thingies  :(

Here's a possibility.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2008, 08:04:19 am »
It's just called a locknut.  Some are more serrated than others.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2008, 10:11:41 am »
OK, cheers.

I thought I might have some in the garage somewhere, but I can't find any. LBS might be my best bet.... But they probably won't have any as all they seem interested in these days is flogging 5k bling bikes....

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2008, 10:53:55 am »
Is it the nut (outside drop out) or the gadget on the inside of the dropuot you need? If the latter, how fat is it, or are these things standard?

I'll have a look in my odds and ends tonight if you'll let me know.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #5 on: 21 May, 2008, 11:12:26 am »
Thanks Paul. It's the gadget on the inside I'm after. They have two flats so you can get a cone spanner on them as they're threaded.

Like this:

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:53:22 am »
I'll have a look in my odds and ends tonight if you'll let me know.

Sorry, bobb. I couldn't find one. That doesn't exactly mean I haven't got one, just that i couldn't find one. I'm planning a clean-up of the garage at the weekend, so I'll keep an eye out, and let you know. But if you're in a hurry, it maybe best to start looking elsewhere in the meantime.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:56:46 am »
Cheers for that Paul. I'll try various bike shops at the weekend if I get the chance...

« Reply #8 on: 22 June, 2008, 11:40:58 am »
Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I'm ecstatic that after nearly two months and visits to countless bike shops, I've finally sourced an identical part  :)

Pretty much every lbs I went to had something similar and they just gave them to me for nothing, which was nice. Unfortunately none of them were quite right and didn't sit in the drop out correctly.

So I bit the bullet and went to London town to try my luck. CS gave me a pair that would probably fit ok, but weren't ideal. So I tried Condor. Bingo! The guy disappeared downstairs for a bit and returned with an identical part. (I'm guessing he just whipped it off a hub in stock)

He then had the audacity to nonchalantly charge me £3.50 for it! Not a lot of money, I know - but every other shop had just given them away. I wasn't going to argue as I now had the precious little thingy that was going to enable me to get the fixer back on the road.

I excitedly texted TOKaMak to let him know I'd be back on fixed very soon - his response made I chuckle: "3.50? Does it say fucking Rapha on it or something?"

;D

« Reply #9 on: 22 June, 2008, 07:05:48 pm »
Didn't we have a thread somewhere about the price of things in London?  Couldn't you add that to it as well! ;D

Does seem a little steep though.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Aan

« Reply #10 on: 04 June, 2017, 06:03:56 pm »
I realise this is a very old thread, but I did exactly the same trick with one of these. Similar experience with four LBS who found me passable substitutes. Then I found the exact thing on the SJS website:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/front-diacompe-track-hub-locknuts/
Price I don't care about, just pleased to find them.

rogerzilla

« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2017, 09:33:13 am »
If you have real problems with axle slippage, one alternative to cranking the torque right up on the nuts is to use chaintugs.  Purists sneer at them but they may be the only solution if you have chromed rear ends and/or locknuts with smooth faces,

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2017, 10:09:43 am »
The alloy Specialized (Langster?) has some neat steel plates that protect the dropouts. When a gorilla has been swinging on the wheel nuts and the plates have deformed to the point where there is only one position you can fasten the wheel, you can change them quite easily. From memory I think they're around a tenner a set (BICBW)
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2017, 02:42:52 pm »
If anyone new comes across this thread, I've got loads of those serrated locknuts.  Although I didn't have them back in 2008.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

rogerzilla

« Reply #14 on: 05 June, 2017, 08:41:32 pm »
If anyone new comes across this thread, I've got loads of those serrated locknuts.  Although I didn't have them back in 2008.
We didn't even have a Tory government in 2008  ;D