Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576274 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #11850 on: 25 February, 2020, 10:21:26 pm »
Why is everything on Amazon suddenly “unisex”? As in, unisex bike rack. Unisex garden compost.

Unisex SEO.

I see. Well, after googling SEO, I see.

« Reply #11851 on: 26 February, 2020, 09:03:48 am »
Why is everything on Amazon suddenly “unisex”? As in, unisex bike rack. Unisex garden compost.

Wankers.
I, for one, will continue to demand my compost in manly colours.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11852 on: 28 February, 2020, 12:59:36 am »
Dear Affinity Water,
Thank you for sending me your latest bill in an email timestamped 00.03 today.
Don't you think it's a bit discourteous to close your web payments between midnight and 2am?

ian

« Reply #11853 on: 28 February, 2020, 09:44:46 am »
To be fair, if you have to take a system down... I can't imagine many people pay their water bill at that time.

It's more fun with global systems, of course, because midnight here isn't midnight elsewhere. Then you get know-it-all users telling you how easy it would be not to do it like that. Yeah, well, I have the spreadsheets that tell me how much it would cost.

One of the most disappointing things about my current job was the discovery that scrum masters don't have big swords and can't be commanded to kill those who displease me. God, it's like being caught in a nerdball D&D universe. What's worse is that my encyclopaedic knowledge of Buffy quotes had lost contemporary relevancy.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11854 on: 28 February, 2020, 10:09:21 am »
Got my renewal notice from my insurance co. Decided to actually read it, with a view to shopping around and actually insuring the Pretty Bike.

When I took out the policy, a couple of yeasrs ago, bikes up to a grand were covered without needing to be named. The renewal notice has a paltry £500 limit. That's Not Good.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #11855 on: 28 February, 2020, 11:19:54 am »

Wankers.

Not everything! ;D https://www.amazon.co.uk/Continental-Race-Bicycle-Inner-Tube/dp/B0068FAWJ0

(I'd buy it, but I fear it may be too manly for my delicate lady thumbs...)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11856 on: 28 February, 2020, 04:49:25 pm »
Dear The Met Office,
This weather is a disgrace.
Must try harder.

Basil
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11857 on: 28 February, 2020, 05:03:37 pm »
Dear The Met Office,
Must try harder.

Basil
I know, as an Old Bugger, the working week may be a thing of the past for you Basil, but for us wage slaves the difference between the weekend and week becomes importtnt. Thus this cycle of manky weather followed by utterly crap weather at weekends is less than amusing.

However, I have a Cunning Plan.  Shift the week along by a couple of days, so that Saturday and Sunday are where the middle of the week currently lands. That way which ever storm we get will be during the week, leaving the weekend clear. Genius? I think so.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #11858 on: 28 February, 2020, 05:08:15 pm »
I could post in the Rant thread about British Gas - a supplier I had the misfortune of having thrust upon me when moving into my flat, but ICBA. I will, however, grumble - for 'tis but a grumble at this stage - about  E.On. I started the process to switch a week ago and got my online account info. today. Guess who has my address as no. 6, instead of 36? I imagine that means my welcome pack has been sent there. Not a very favourable start.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11859 on: 28 February, 2020, 05:41:51 pm »
Dear The Met Office,
Must try harder.

Basil
I know, as an Old Bugger, the working week may be a thing of the past for you Basil, but for us wage slaves the difference between the weekend and week becomes importtnt. Thus this cycle of manky weather followed by utterly crap weather at weekends is less than amusing.

However, I have a Cunning Plan.  Shift the week along by a couple of days, so that Saturday and Sunday are where the middle of the week currently lands. That way which ever storm we get will be during the week, leaving the weekend clear. Genius? I think so.

Ah but, Mrs B  still works, so if I want a ride, it has to be during the week.  Weekends are reserved  for 'doing things togevva'.
I know I should have gone out yesterday, but I had man round doing man things to my outhouse roof.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11860 on: 28 February, 2020, 06:04:50 pm »
To be fair, if you have to take a system down... I can't imagine many people pay their water bill at that time.

It's more fun with global systems, of course, because midnight here isn't midnight elsewhere. Then you get know-it-all users telling you how easy it would be not to do it like that. Yeah, well, I have the spreadsheets that tell me how much it would cost.

One of the most disappointing things about my current job was the discovery that scrum masters don't have big swords and can't be commanded to kill those who displease me. God, it's like being caught in a nerdball D&D universe. What's worse is that my encyclopaedic knowledge of Buffy quotes had lost contemporary relevancy.

Having a system down between 00.00 and 02.00 is fine; just don't send me a bill at 00.03!

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #11861 on: 28 February, 2020, 06:06:49 pm »
Dear The Met Office,
Must try harder.

Basil

Nah.  Too hit and miss - who's to say that the weather won't move along a couple of days.  I have a more surefire idea.

Dig a trench around the UK (or just England, or England and Wales if the Scots want to be independent).  Haul up the anchors and tow us about 1000 miles South.  Somewhere near Southern Spain maybe?  That should do it.  We'll be out of the firing line there.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11862 on: 28 February, 2020, 11:42:48 pm »
Dear The Met Office,
Must try harder.

Basil

I'm currently wavering about DNSing tomorrow's audax on the basis that while the rain situation appears to have improved, the wind has got worse again, and the temperature's going to be down into the affecting-lung-performance range for the duration.

I b0rked my knee fighting with the wind last Saturday, and while I now have a fully operational rear gear cable to help, it's still going to be a shedload of Type 2 fun being blown sideways into potholes and such.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11863 on: 29 February, 2020, 06:17:17 am »
I could post in the Rant thread about British Gas - a supplier I had the misfortune of having thrust upon me when moving into my flat, but ICBA. I will, however, grumble - for 'tis but a grumble at this stage - about  E.On. I started the process to switch a week ago and got my online account info. today. Guess who has my address as no. 6, instead of 36? I imagine that means my welcome pack has been sent there. Not a very favourable start.

E.on were comfortably the worst supplier I ever had, took months for them to admit they were no longer my supplier, and didn't really get the irony when I mentioned customer service as a reason for changing.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #11864 on: 29 February, 2020, 03:11:26 pm »

E.on were comfortably the worst supplier I ever had, took months for them to admit they were no longer my supplier, and didn't really get the irony when I mentioned customer service as a reason for changing.
I've ditched E.On before we even got properly switched. Yesterday was awful because a) their website kept timing out; b) their app didn't work; and c) their address database was not up to date, so they tried blaming Royal Mail. I'm going to try Octopus, as they weren't too bad when I last used them and have UK call centres.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #11865 on: 29 February, 2020, 03:37:19 pm »
You could look at SO Energy too, we’ve been happy with them, and although it’s £5 per supply to change tariffs early, the rates have been falling fast enough to make it worthwhile every couple of months recently.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

« Reply #11866 on: 29 February, 2020, 06:33:41 pm »
We are with Bulb, renewable leccy, gas is a mix of bio an offsetting, but carbon neutral

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #11867 on: 01 March, 2020, 09:00:19 am »
My recent energy co. (Flow Energy) was recently merged/taken over by Octopus. Fixed tariff honoured, comparable rate for another fix and no exit charge.
A quick check showed Octopus has the best ratings of all the sector so, although there are some slightly cheaper alternatives, I decided to give it the year as a test.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11868 on: 01 March, 2020, 01:21:21 pm »
My recent energy co. (Flow Energy) was recently merged/taken over by Octopus. Fixed tariff honoured, comparable rate for another fix and no exit charge.
A quick check showed Octopus has the best ratings of all the sector so, although there are some slightly cheaper alternatives, I decided to give it the year as a test.
Same here.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #11869 on: 01 March, 2020, 04:23:02 pm »
I can count in tens of hours the time I've wasted on British Gas and now E.On, so paying a little more to a company I can actually talk to isn't such a difficult decision.

ElyDave

« Reply #11870 on: 01 March, 2020, 05:02:16 pm »
looking at my records, I managed to get out on the road on the 1st of Feb in what ended up as very challenging conditions, and last Tuesday for a paltry 10km utility ride. Every other session this month has been on the turbo.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11871 on: 01 March, 2020, 07:25:04 pm »
On the energy front, yesterday I bumped into someone I haven't seen for about three years, since she stopped working in LBS for a green energy start up thing. That folded and as she's now working for Good Energy (based in Chippenham, apparently), supplier of "renewable electricity and 100% carbon neutral gas" that seems as good a reason as any to switch to them. If ICBA of course!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11872 on: 01 March, 2020, 08:39:19 pm »
Also on the energy front, I haven't got any because I'm dosed up on Piriton and my lungs aren't working properly.  Stupid things.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11873 on: 02 March, 2020, 08:09:59 am »
Just phoned GP for appointment to renew meds.  Only time available 13h20 tomorrow, in the middle of the best cycling day Météo France has forecast for a month.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #11874 on: 02 March, 2020, 03:51:29 pm »
After nearly 6 weeks off work I felt better last week & told the boss I'd be back online & working from home.   I logged on today & now my throat is sore again & feels swollen  :(

Being at home alone doesn't agree with me,  I'm getting cabin fever, I don't think I'd want to be a permanent  home worker, I'd go loopy.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark