Author Topic: New restriction on cyclists using the Dartford Crossing  (Read 18252 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: New restriction on cyclists using the Dartford Crossing
« Reply #25 on: 09 June, 2014, 11:07:30 pm »
I'd like to defend Lincolnshire.

It has a very good brewery (Batemans, in Wainfleet).

It has lots of hills (if you don't believe me, try riding from Brigg to Horncastle along the B whatever it is).

It is largely deserted.

When my brother lived there in the 1970s he presided over a very fine population of natterjack toads in the sand dunes at Saltfleetby St. Clement.

Lincoln itself is a fine town with a splendid cathedral, some very good pubs and a blue plaque commemorating William Byrd.

On the down side, Grantham is in Lincolnshire and we know what's wrong with that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26 on: 09 June, 2014, 11:12:59 pm »

On the down side, Grantham is in Lincolnshire and we know what's wrong with that.

<guess type =wild>Isaac Newton went to school there?</guess type>
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 09 June, 2014, 11:22:21 pm »

<guess type =wild>Isaac Newton went to school there?</guess type>

No. A someone who caused much greater gravity.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #28 on: 09 June, 2014, 11:22:44 pm »
You forget to mention the other good thing about Lincolnshire; it is just next door to God's Own Country - Yorkshire! ;)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #29 on: 10 June, 2014, 01:58:56 am »
I use it occasionally to get to lakeside to go to Tacobell.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #30 on: 10 June, 2014, 09:49:57 am »
I'm not overly struck by Kent either.
Kent is the Garden of England, and every garden has, somewhere, its stinking fly-ridden compost heaps. Like Sittingbourne.
Not especially helpful or mature

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #31 on: 10 June, 2014, 11:04:21 am »
Ahem.

Speaking as a native of these parts (born in Sittingbourne), I think you'll find that there are worse shit-holes than Sittingbourne not too far from here . If I mentioned Gillingham I suspect I might annoy some folk, so I won't.

You may also note I'm not actually denying the "fly-ridden compost heap" claim, although, from where I'm sitting (Minster) it doesn't look too bad.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #32 on: 10 June, 2014, 12:21:38 pm »
Ebbsfleet is pretty rough… and it isn't even built yet  ;)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #33 on: 10 June, 2014, 12:47:57 pm »
I first saw this notice a couple of months ago. It's pretty much crap isn't it.

Speaking to someone in the know... the powers that be want to axe the free service. The only way they can axe it is if the amount of cyclists using the service fall below a certain level. This 'break' system is one of the snidey ways they are using to try to dissuade cyclists from using the service.

They can't bin the service (or at least not without Parliamentary legislation) - it's statute:

27 Services for transporting cycles and cyclists through crossing.

(1)The Secretary of State shall either provide, maintain and operate vehicles for the purpose of carrying pedal cycles and cyclists through the crossing or make such arrangements as he considers appropriate with any other person for securing the provision, maintenance and operation of vehicles for that purpose.

(2)No charge shall be made in respect of the carriage of any cycle or cyclist on any vehicle provided by, or in pursuance of arrangements made by, the Secretary of State under subsection (1) above.

Of course, you can debate forever about the point at which a service is so limited that it becomes a failure to provide.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 10 June, 2014, 01:23:09 pm »
So it'll turn into the equivalent of a parliamentary train, with a single service every other Tuesday...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #35 on: 10 June, 2014, 01:32:33 pm »
The advantage of a cycle path as part of the bridge, in addition to it not being turned parliamentary, is that it allows access for maintenance work. This might help justify the cost of construction (which, as said, is probably rather small as a proportion of the whole).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #36 on: 10 June, 2014, 01:41:44 pm »
Yep, That's why the Severn Bridge has two of them, and boy did they need them in the first 30 years of its life!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #37 on: 10 June, 2014, 04:57:41 pm »
Ahem.

Speaking as a native of these parts (born in Sittingbourne), I think you'll find that there are worse shit-holes than Sittingbourne not too far from here . If I mentioned Gillingham I suspect I might annoy some folk, so I won't.

You may also note I'm not actually denying the "fly-ridden compost heap" claim, although, from where I'm sitting (Minster) it doesn't look too bad.

Isle of Sheppey.... 'nuff said.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #38 on: 10 June, 2014, 05:31:33 pm »
Ahem.

The nice bit.

Honest.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #39 on: 11 June, 2014, 07:01:40 am »
Ahem.

The nice bit.

Honest.

What?  The road off the island?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #40 on: 11 June, 2014, 07:03:40 am »
I'd guess the tumbleweed is still blowing along the street of Queenborough.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #41 on: 11 June, 2014, 07:42:44 am »
Lincolnshire is quite not too bad, really.

Apparently Hull is one of the happiest places in Britain.  Because it is not in Lincolnshire?

I'm sure Lincolnshire isn't really that bad.  I'm due to ride up and down it again in September when I do Tomsk's Flatlands 600.

Hull is a brilliant place.  We went there a few weeks back.

« Reply #42 on: 11 June, 2014, 09:49:48 pm »
Ahem.

The nice bit.

Honest.

No, that's ghastly!

Bits of minster are quite nice.  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #43 on: 11 June, 2014, 10:16:29 pm »
Ahem.

The nice bit.

Honest.

No, that's ghastly!

Bits of minster are quite nice.  :)

Quite. Thank you.  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #44 on: 12 June, 2014, 06:37:06 am »
I use it occasionally to get to lakeside to go to Tacobell.

What? Lincolnshire!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #45 on: 12 June, 2014, 10:14:28 am »
Ahem.

Is that an argument for climate change?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #46 on: 12 June, 2014, 10:48:34 am »
Ahem.

Is that an argument for climate change?

Hmm...

A sea level rise would remove Sheerness, Queenborough and Leysdown but leave most of Minster and Eastchurch.  So not all bad.  :demon: There'd be a bit of an issue with the bridge.

« Reply #47 on: 12 June, 2014, 10:57:29 am »
You could re-instate the ferry to Harty Ferry! Or possibly Oare, as the nearest bit not underwater!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #48 on: 14 June, 2014, 12:51:06 pm »
When I lived in Dundee I did a lot of cycling in Fife. The Tay Road Bridge was easy-peasy.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #49 on: 16 June, 2014, 02:57:28 pm »
The notice reads:
For the benefit of cyclists and the efficiency of the service a timetable has been introduced for teh Dartford Thurrock River Crossing.

So the service is being improved by creating windows when you can't use it.

You've misunderstood. In business-speak, making a service more "efficient" doesn't mean improving it, it means making it cheaper, which in practical terms usually means cutting staff.

I have some sympathy for the remaining employee left to face the wrath of angry cyclists. They're entitled to take a break occasionally. No one is a winner here.

I'm saying nothing about Sittingbourne. The less said, the better. But at least it isn't Gravesend.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."