Author Topic: Creating a web page  (Read 2336 times)

Rapples

Creating a web page
« on: 29 April, 2008, 03:03:02 pm »
Can anyone point me in the direction of a site that will help explain how to create a simple web page?

TTFN :-[

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Creating a web page
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2008, 03:08:20 pm »
How simple do you want it?

In word you can use "Save As HTML" and that will generate a web page, but that may be too simple

« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2008, 03:10:15 pm »
http://www.thesitewizard.com/gettingstarted/mozillacomposer1.shtml

You'll need to download SeaMonkey, a program that lets you edit webpages without needing to understand the code that makes them work.  The link for it is in the tutorial. 

Rapples

« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2008, 03:13:30 pm »
Thanks Phil I'll have a look at that.

Craig

« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2008, 03:36:13 pm »
Don't use Word! It produces a horrible mess of HTML, which will probably only work in Internet Explorer.

The site Phil recommended looks good, though note Mozilla SeaMonkey is a complete internet suite, with browser/email etc.
If you just want to make a web page, then get Kompozer which is a separate web authoring program. Its (indirectly) based on Mozilla Composer, so fairly similar.
I notice that site also has a guide for using Kompozer: http://www.thesitewizard.com/gettingstarted/kompozer-tutorial-1.shtml

« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2008, 03:38:16 pm »
Can anyone point me in the direction of a site that will help explain how to create a simple web page?

TTFN :-[
This will help,Clicky.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2008, 03:39:49 pm »
For simple webpages OpenOffice produces quite nice, bloat free pages.

If using Linux then Bluefish is hard to beat, especially the wizards which guide you through (and it has a nice WYSIWYG tab for real easy web page creation)

Unfortunately the Windows port seems like a no-go at the mo...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2008, 03:57:13 pm »
I've recently been using Bravehost and Googlepages. Both allow you to do visual designs, write plain HTML or upload your own.  ;D

Rapples

« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2008, 04:38:10 pm »
Thanks All.  Plenty to try :)

I think I'll try Nvu to start with, rather than the whole suite, seems to be the stand alone version of composer in Seamonkey.  Don't want to mess anthing else up on the computer like Outlook or Explorer,  SHMBO SWMBO would not be grateful :-X

Edit: SHMBO????  Honestly I don't spell it HOO :-[

Craig

« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2008, 05:07:28 pm »
Nvu has been discontinued, and not updated in a few years. KompoZer is essentially a new version of Nvu, with a variety of bugs fixed, and a few features added.
So I'd say get KompoZer instead - as its essentially the same thing, most guides / tutorials will apply to it as well.

Rapples

« Reply #10 on: 29 April, 2008, 06:38:11 pm »
That would make sense.

Thanks Craig ;D

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #11 on: 29 April, 2008, 07:41:48 pm »
If KompoZer is a development of the old Mozilla Composer then I could certainly recommend it. IME it produced nice (editable) html code plus a decent wysiwyg interface. Hopefully it will teach you the basics of HTML so that you can put extra things in by hand-editing.

I use Arachnophilia and have done for about 10-years. It runs in the Java VM so is cross-platform and can be customised.

Whatever you do, don't use any micro$oft product, with the possible exception of Notepad ;).
Pen Pusher

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 30 April, 2008, 02:11:27 pm »
Whereabouts in the country are you? I've been teaching a lot of people recently and could teach you to use Dreamweaver in a few hours.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium