Author Topic: Coast to Coast C2C Any Recommendations ?  (Read 6978 times)

Coast to Coast C2C Any Recommendations ?
« on: 15 April, 2017, 05:19:59 pm »
Does anybody have any recommendations/ comments for any of the various C2C routes across Britain ?

I'm thinking of  doing one later in July and am looking to do it in around 3 days, but don't mind if it it's on-road or off. I'll be unsupported, so it's important to get be able to get back to the start easily with the bike (preferably by train).

http://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle/coast-coast-alternatives

My favourites are either the original Sea to Sea, Reivers or the Way of the Roses.

Any comments anyone ?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: Coast to Coast C2C Any Recommendations ?
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2017, 09:49:53 am »
Sea to Sea is the obvious choice, it's the most iconic and it's a great ride.  Very very do-able in three days.  And you can get trains from Newcastle to Whitehaven, although it's about three hours with a change at Carlisle (I think).

It's so well signed it's just easy so you don't waste much time routefinding.  Hope you have a great time!
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2017, 09:55:43 am »
C2C from Workington cuts about 20 minutes off of the train journey, but the start isn't as iconic as the Whitehaven start (I would say that though ;D)

Another option is Hadrian's Cycleway (NCN72) which starts in Ravenglass (same train as C2C but even further round) and finishes in Tynemouth. It's longer but less hilly.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2017, 10:33:58 am »
Does the original C2C still direct the rider down two flights of steps in Newcastle?

If it does, ignore the directions and take the main road to Tynemouth.

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2017, 10:45:18 am »
Whitehaven to Tynemouth is imo the better route.   My advice though would be to stay south of the river and cross at the tunnel.    Also and as Clare rightly says, ignore the ridiculous Sustrans steps.   

Sustrans:  Why go the extra mile when an extra ten will do!

We need a thumbs down emo.     :D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2017, 11:49:57 am »
The then-Mrs LWaB and I rode a three day C2C Whitehaven to Tynemouth in 2002 on Bromptons. We avoided the roughest off-road options but it was good fun. Bromptons meant there were no problems getting to/from start/finish. The only annoyance was not being able to ride over the blinking eye bridge, due to private security guards at some festival.

The following day, we took part in the Golden Jubilee parade in London, on the Bromptons!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2017, 12:04:49 pm »
Whitehaven to Tynemouth is imo the better route.   My advice though would be to stay south of the river and cross at the tunnel.   

Unfortunately the tunnel is still shut for pedestrians/cyclists (the completion date is now "late summer 2017") so you would need to be ferried through by bus. If you are staying south of the river then the shields ferry would be more fun IMHO.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2017, 12:40:21 pm »
Whitehaven to Tynemouth is imo the better route.   My advice though would be to stay south of the river and cross at the tunnel.   

Unfortunately the tunnel is still shut for pedestrians/cyclists (the completion date is now "late summer 2017") so you would need to be ferried through by bus. If you are staying south of the river then the shields ferry would be more fun IMHO.

Yes, we took the ferry on the Tyne Crossings ride with SlowCoach, a most happy event  :D
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2017, 08:45:49 pm »
Thanks all. I think that I'll go for the Whitehaven to Tynemouth route, but I may extend it by a day or two.

I'm also thinking about renting a car from North Shields to drive to the start line on a one way rental from Enterprise. Seems easier than getting the train and probably less likely to damage the bike, meaning I can take my carbon 'cross bike (which I wouldn't be happy leaving in a guards van).

I'll buy the Sustrans guide and do some more serious planning.

« Reply #9 on: 16 April, 2017, 09:00:09 pm »
They don't generally have guards vans any more.   Space is available in one or more of the carriages depending upon the type of train.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #10 on: 16 April, 2017, 09:01:28 pm »
Thanks all. I think that I'll go for the Whitehaven to Tynemouth route, but I may extend it by a day or two.

I'm also thinking about renting a car from North Shields to drive to the start line on a one way rental from Enterprise. Seems easier than getting the train and probably less likely to damage the bike, meaning I can take my carbon 'cross bike (which I wouldn't be happy leaving in a guards van).

I'll buy the Sustrans guide and do some more serious planning.

The train from Newcastle to Carlisle has a bike space in the carriage.  So you can keep an eye on your bike all the way across.
Milk please, no sugar.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #11 on: 17 April, 2017, 02:06:05 pm »
Have you considered the newer Scottish equivalent, as designed by John Grimshaw and his former colleague David Grey? I rode with them in Sept 2013 on their inaugural ride. We set off from Annan and cycled for 2 days to South Queensferry via Peebles and Innerleithen. Its a nice ride and one I'd like to repeat in a few years with my children.

It is sign posted, as I have since ridden stretches of it while Audaxing in the borders, but a nice guide can be bought here:

https://www.bikeridemaps.co.uk/long-distance-cycle-routes-uk/scottish-c2c-cycle-route/

Something a little different, plus you can catch a train south aftertwards direct to Carlisle etc....

Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #12 on: 17 April, 2017, 03:00:35 pm »
Finish in Sunderland. Much better.

Phil W

« Reply #13 on: 17 April, 2017, 04:15:20 pm »
I did Hadrians Cycleway on the road bike in 2010. Train to Preston, then change for Ravenglass. Had space for our 3 bikes and panniers. Friendly guard.  Goes between Sellafield and sand dunes on first day, radiation signs are surreal. First night in Silloth, second night at the Yourh Hostel at Once Brewed. Chance to visit wall and visit Vindolanda or Housesteads Museums. Finished at South Shields option. Then a night in Newcastle before a tran back home. Trains cost £22 in total with advance singles.

Did St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay off-road in 2005 over 6 days. You could do a road variant over 3 days. (We met a guy on the second day doing just that) There's a bike transport company called Packhorse based in Kirkby Stephen. They can transport you and bike to start and from end. So you just need to get to Kirkby Stephen logistics wise.

« Reply #14 on: 18 April, 2017, 09:42:50 pm »
Oh no....so many choices....and they all sound great ;D

I used to live near South Queensferry, and spend my weekends sailing around under the bridges from Port Edgar so that would be a nice option.

I think that I'll look in the various options and then make a call. I also want to see what Packhorse can do for me. My biggest problem now will be making the decision as they all sound great. That's one of the curses of having an analytical personality type I suppose.

« Reply #15 on: 18 April, 2017, 10:12:09 pm »
We have also enjoyed the Reivers and Way of the Roses.   I fancy recreating a trip we did a long while back which was Penrith to Carlisle via Whitley Bay, outward on C2C, return on Reivers.   

These days we'd have to change trains to get off at Penrith so we might just have to do Carlisle to Carlisle!    :D

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #16 on: 18 April, 2017, 10:26:52 pm »
We have also enjoyed the Reivers and Way of the Roses.   I fancy recreating a trip we did a long while back which was Penrith to Carlisle via Whitley Bay, outward on C2C, return on Reivers.   

These days we'd have to change trains to get off at Penrith so we might just have to do Carlisle to Carlisle!    :D

Depending on how bad the train staff are you could still end up at Penrith ::-) DAMHIKT

« Reply #17 on: 04 August, 2017, 10:27:24 pm »
Just to give some feedback on this topic, I ended up cycling from West Wales (near Newgale/ Haverfordwest) via Aberystwyth and Builth Wells to Cardiff. All in about 220 miles in 3 days. I used a combination of routes 81, 84, 47 and 8

With the combination of hills, heavy rain, strong winds and off road ( Wales is good for mud) it was bloody tough. I got the train back on Wednesday night from Cardiff to Haverfordwest.

I was impressed with the train service.

I'll post up a full ride report if anybody's interested.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #18 on: 10 August, 2017, 04:14:44 pm »
I'll post up a full ride report if anybody's interested.
Yes please.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #19 on: 14 September, 2017, 10:00:24 pm »
Way of the Roses is my favourite. Done C2C variants a few times and enjoyed them but personally found WotR a better balance of hillyness and tarmac , and only tame off-road surfaces .
Reasonable rail links both ends and plenty of cafes on route.