Author Topic: What gear range have you got?  (Read 7398 times)

Re: What gear range have you got?
« Reply #25 on: 12 October, 2019, 10:42:38 pm »
If anyone needs chainrings bigger than normal and has difficulty finding them this might be useful. I believe they supply a few racers.
https://www.dutchbikebits.com/recumbent-velomobile-parts/alligt-chainrings
Spa Cycles do every size TA chainrings in both 130mm and 110mm up to 60 teeth.
Thats where I go for a 55t chainring.
The only trouble with that size is it's not ramped and pinned.
But I don't think any are over 53t or I've not found one above that size.

But good shout if you need bigger .......  :thumbsup:

« Reply #26 on: 28 October, 2019, 12:25:45 am »
I run 55/42/30 & 11-32 9 speed on my ICE Qnt 165mm cranks
52/42/30 & 11-32 on the XL 170mm cranks
48/36/24 & 9-32 Capreo on the Vortex fs 170mm cranks (this will change to 53/39/26 152mm cranks soon).

If you are looking for shorter cranks to help with higher cadence/spinning out, ICE sell 152mm cranks.

The Lower foot speed of the 152mm cranks compared to 165-175mm for a given cadence , means you can get higher cadence rpm before spinning out.

The downside of shorter cranks is "It's harder to pedal uphill" (with the same gearing).

« Reply #27 on: 28 October, 2019, 03:51:20 pm »
grasshopper
48 tooth chain ring SRAM 850  11 32 sprocket and  give me 20.6 to 111  gear inches.
 Way more range  than I need for Suffolk and Norfolk.

Phil W

« Reply #28 on: 30 December, 2019, 09:37:36 pm »
My gear range on the new recumbent is 17.5 inches to 108 inches. Originally I wondered if the bottom gear is too low / useable. The 9 speed crankset came off my retired mtn bike so was essentially free. I have used the low gear on a 20% hill and found it’s fine. Now I’m a bit stronger after five weeks on new recumbent I no longer need the bottom gear for 20%. At least when relatively fresh I don’t. The other end 108 gear inches gives me 29 mph at 90 rpm, so more than adequate for the flat and I tend to let the bike just freewheel on downhills.

175mm cranks as that what I have always run on the mtn bike the cranks were taken off.

Spend most of time in big or middle at front.  Middle chain ring up to about 10-12% gradient unless tired.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #29 on: 11 May, 2020, 08:00:35 am »
Late again!
My newly acquired streetmachine has 170mm cranks. 52,42,30, and a 9 speed block,11-34. I find big/ big and very useful gear, and do seem to spend a lot of time on the larger ring. I'm trying to spin, but 80-90 is about max for me, unless in short bursts. Not tried a BIG hill yet or the granny. Only 400km in so far. Was reading about shorter cranks and thinking about 160mm, but I'm 6'2" and have long ( big) legs, so spinning fast is not a natural for me.  But reading this thread , Phil w is using 175mm, so I think I'll stick with the 170's for a while. Might swap the 42 for a 38 tho ( looks in cupboards). And the try some climbing in the granny.
Slightly OT, if one is in granny , on a HILL, and forced to stop, what is best way to get going again, as I've not tried it yet.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 11 May, 2020, 12:38:09 pm »
Slightly OT, if one is in granny , on a HILL, and forced to stop, what is best way to get going again, as I've not tried it yet.

The usual normal way to get going.  (Is there more than one?)  You just need to be good at low-speed balance.  If you practice starting off in the bottom gear on the flat, it won't be that different (no freewheeling!).

The problem is that with a low gear and a lightly loaded rear wheel, you may find the wheel spins if the surface isn't conducive to traction (the Streetmachine isn't actually too bad for this, compared to lower recumbents).  My preferred method is not to stop on steep climbs, but if there's no other option sometimes you may need to push the bike to somewhere flatter or less slippery.

Luggage is less of a problem than you'd expect, as the extra weight over the rear wheel improves grip.

« Reply #31 on: 01 June, 2020, 07:30:25 pm »
Late again!
My newly acquired streetmachine has 170mm cranks. 52,42,30, and a 9 speed block,11-34. I find big/ big and very useful gear, and do seem to spend a lot of time on the larger ring. I'm trying to spin, but 80-90 is about max for me, unless in short bursts. Not tried a BIG hill yet or the granny. Only 400km in so far. Was reading about shorter cranks and thinking about 160mm, but I'm 6'2" and have long ( big) legs, so spinning fast is not a natural for me.  But reading this thread , Phil w is using 175mm, so I think I'll stick with the 170's for a while. Might swap the 42 for a 38 tho ( looks in cupboards). And the try some climbing in the granny.

Hold a brake, pedal just before 12 o’clock. Release brake and push through pedal and get foot on other pedal even if not clipped. Keep pedalling. Haven’t tried that beyond 17% hill and in,y then because a foot had unclipped.

« Reply #32 on: 12 June, 2020, 06:25:52 pm »
Got up a 17% hill in the middle chain ring last weekend. I might shift the gearing up 4% at bottom and top end when it comes to replacing the granny and big chain rings.

« Reply #33 on: 15 June, 2020, 08:15:12 pm »
I will give an answer to the bonus question. Iput a set of Biopace rings (which some may consider not proper oval rings anyway) on the Dino recently while remolishing it with ambitions of usage. I advanced them one flute on the spider as suggested by Sheldon. They felt fine while pedalling, none of the jerkiness that I felt spinning the same rings on a df. The inconvenience was that the chain came flying off regularly while changing rings (fortunately this was all on the turbo) and I finished the experiment when I managed to put a knot in the chain when it came off the big ring. The Dino has long chain runs with no tubes so others might make this work better.
Going back to conventional rings felt actually more spinny but since the turbo is put away between sessions there may be other reasons for that.
Biopace rings 48/38/28.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #34 on: 25 October, 2020, 01:04:54 pm »
Had a wee swap around today, 'hilda had 52/42/30 -11/34 with 170mm cranks, but there are a few basta steep hills round these parts, and I don't really like spinning silly rpm, so I dug out my spares.  I've fitted a Campag Centaur crankset, @ 175mm length, with 48/39/26 to see what a difference that makes, as I am 6'2".  Shortened boom by 5mm, lowered front mech, and adjusted cable . Quick test ride showed it to be quite nice, more leverage for my 'ample' leggies. I fitted the cranks to extg Shimano bb, I now your not supposed to, but it fit very well, and I wont be standing on pedals. The initial 'slope of a mile and half' from my drive was prob 2 km/h quicker,  but a lengthy test ride will be the answer.

« Reply #35 on: 26 October, 2020, 04:06:02 pm »
For the Schlitter Freestyle build I'm starting to plan (with 700c wheels), I'm thinking of going for an 11-42 XT 11-speed cassette and 50/34 105 compact crankset (160mm). Obviously rear derailleur (and shifters) XT (long cage), front derailleur 105. It's more of a racer than a tourer build. I could probably get away with an 11-40 cassette, but the gaps are no smaller on the high gear end anyway.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #36 on: 26 October, 2020, 08:40:29 pm »
grasshopper
48 tooth chain ring SRAM 850  11 32 sprocket and  give me 20.6 to 111  gear inches.
 Way more range  than I need for Suffolk and Norfolk.

Hmm that doesn’t work as the ratio from lowest to highest is just under 3 (32/11), but you say your ratio is 5.38 (111/20.6).  You must have another chain ring up front.