Author Topic: Running Watch  (Read 2441 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Running Watch
« on: 12 October, 2020, 08:04:08 am »
After a cheap (sub £100 or below) running watch.All I want is for something to display my current pace on the screen; no need for music or even Strava etc. as I run with my phone for music/safety. I have a FitBit Charge but the display is too small to read without glasses.

Saw this on Decathlon website https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/running-gps-watch-kiprun-500/_/R-p-305180?mc=8527648&c=BLACK

Also saw this in a "Best running watch" review https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMAZFIT-Fitness-Tracker-Waterproof-Standby/dp/B076WRDKQM/ref=psdc_3457450031_t3_B07TGBPZYF but it seems too good to be true, it's not a brand I'm aware of and whislt the unit is quite large the usable screen looks quite small.Any thoughts or even something gathering dust somewhere that you don't need anymore and would be prepared to sell?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Running Watch
« Reply #1 on: 12 October, 2020, 08:21:24 am »
No personal experience of the Kiprun but it looks good on paper, and based on experience of other Decathlon own-brand stuff, I reckon it would be well worth a punt at that price.

On the screen size, the question really is how big do you actually need it to be? It looks like it is about the same screen area as my Forerunner 620 and I find that perfectly useable while running, with 3-4 data fields displayed.

Claimed 7hrs battery life, which is good for a running watch. Even if real life numbers are less than that, it's likely to be more than sufficient unless you're a serious ultrarunner. I get up to around 6hrs from my FR620.

PS this thread might be better moved to the GPS section if you want relevant responses.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

PaulF

« Reply #2 on: 12 October, 2020, 09:08:50 am »
No personal experience of the Kiprun but it looks good on paper, and based on experience of other Decathlon own-brand stuff, I reckon it would be well worth a punt at that price.

On the screen size, the question really is how big do you actually need it to be? It looks like it is about the same screen area as my Forerunner 620 and I find that perfectly useable while running, with 3-4 data fields displayed.

Claimed 7hrs battery life, which is good for a running watch. Even if real life numbers are less than that, it's likely to be more than sufficient unless you're a serious ultrarunner. I get up to around 6hrs from my FR620.

PS this thread might be better moved to the GPS section if you want relevant responses.

Thanks - thread moved :)

Regarding size; bigger than my Fitbit Charge which displays in digits about 4mm tall. 

« Reply #3 on: 12 October, 2020, 09:17:25 am »
After a cheap (sub £100 or below) running watch.All I want is for something to display my current pace on the screen; no need for music or even Strava etc. as I run with my phone for music/safety. I have a FitBit Charge but the display is too small to read without glasses.

Saw this on Decathlon website https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/running-gps-watch-kiprun-500/_/R-p-305180?mc=8527648&c=BLACK

Also saw this in a "Best running watch" review https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMAZFIT-Fitness-Tracker-Waterproof-Standby/dp/B076WRDKQM/ref=psdc_3457450031_t3_B07TGBPZYF but it seems too good to be true, it's not a brand I'm aware of and whislt the unit is quite large the usable screen looks quite small.Any thoughts or even something gathering dust somewhere that you don't need anymore and would be prepared to sell?

I don't have a smartwatch, but Xiaomi are big players in the mobile phone market - so if the AmazFit is from the same company (which it looks to be), could be a good buy...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 12 October, 2020, 09:29:49 am »
Regarding size; bigger than my Fitbit Charge which displays in digits about 4mm tall.

You might want to check how configurable the Kiprun is.

I usually have my FR620 set to display 3 data fields and in that configuration the digits are probably not much bigger than on your Fitbit. If I reduce it to 1 or 2 data fields, the digits are significantly bigger. Don't know how the Kiprun compares to that, but since it has a similar size screen, I imagine it's similar in this respect too.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2020, 11:03:49 am »
I've got a Bip which I used instead of my GPS for cycling in Cuba. It's very good for the price.

PaulF

« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2020, 11:17:00 am »
I've got a Bip which I used instead of my GPS for cycling in Cuba. It's very good for the price.
How big are the digits on it? Can you customise the display?

Thanks

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7 on: 12 October, 2020, 12:11:31 pm »

Thanks

Digits are ~4mm in an activity screen. I don't know if that can be changed - Mrs P has the app on her phone! The watchface can be changed though.

PaulF

« Reply #8 on: 12 October, 2020, 12:57:10 pm »

Thanks

Digits are ~4mm in an activity screen. I don't know if that can be changed - Mrs P has the app on her phone! The watchface can be changed though.

Thanks; sounds like no larger than on my Fitbit unfortunately

PaulF

« Reply #9 on: 13 October, 2020, 07:51:18 am »
Managed to pick up a Garmin Forerunner 35 on an Amazon Prime Day Deal; old tech but seems to do what I need.

citoyen

« Reply #10 on: 13 October, 2020, 07:56:45 am »
Managed to pick up a Garmin Forerunner 35 on an Amazon Prime Day Deal; old tech but seems to do what I need.

My wife and son both have the FR35 and both love it. Nice big clear display, so that should suit your needs perfectly. I would have mentioned it before but thought it was probably out of your price range, so good news if you've got a good deal on one.

PaulF

« Reply #11 on: 13 October, 2020, 08:49:25 am »

My wife and son both have the FR35 and both love it. Nice big clear display, so that should suit your needs perfectly. I would have mentioned it before but thought it was probably out of your price range, so good news if you've got a good deal on one.

No worries. It was out of budget but I was also realising that my budget was perhaps optimisitic. Big display is the main feature so fingers crossed. It should be here today.