Author Topic: things i'd like to eat  (Read 21802 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: things i'd like to eat
« Reply #25 on: 27 January, 2021, 08:09:39 pm »
If you were lucky, there'd be some left for breakfast on toast. Admittedly, it didn't look so attractive under a congealed overcoat of kebab lard, but a bit of warming and it'd all come back to together like a fine cassoulet.

About 15 years ago when we were camping in Brittany, I cooked the contents of a Carrefour can of cassoulet and served it up with some instant mash (which I'd never have expected the French to have) and it was absolutely divine.  Never had any cassoulet as good since then.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

ian

« Reply #26 on: 27 January, 2021, 08:17:02 pm »
I grew up on instant mash, actual potatoes were exotic*, and I loved it. I was definitely for mash get Smash. I did try some the other year, it was terrible for anything other than holding up wallpaper. Nasty stuff, cut your losses and just the eat the butter with a spoon.

But a mountain of the stuff, surrounded by a moat of parsley sauce, a couple of fish fingers bobbing in it, and a helping of frozen peas. That was pretty much my go-to-meal.

*my grandad used to grow them and serve them up covered in bacon fat. He only ate veg if it been through a bacon fat sauna.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27 on: 27 January, 2021, 08:26:06 pm »
I have no idea what butterscotch is

AIUI, it’s basically just butter and sugar, cooked together. No wonder it tastes so fucking good.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #28 on: 27 January, 2021, 08:32:34 pm »
The internet tells me there's a no-added-sugar butterscotch Angel Delight which I guess is just talcum powder. Eek.

They also do banana Angel Delight, I do remember liking that. And bananas in lumpy custard (was it ever possible for any human to turn custard powder into smooth custard?)

citoyen

« Reply #29 on: 27 January, 2021, 08:39:28 pm »
I remember banana Angel delight. If you closed your eyes and thought about it really hard, it actually tasted like something vaguely resembling banana.

There was also a pink one. No idea what flavour it was. Just pink flavour, I think.

« Reply #30 on: 27 January, 2021, 08:43:49 pm »
I remember banana Angel delight. If you closed your eyes and thought about it really hard, it actually tasted like something vaguely resembling banana.

There was also a pink one. No idea what flavour it was. Just pink flavour, I think.

I think that one was meant to be strawberry.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ian

« Reply #31 on: 27 January, 2021, 08:45:33 pm »
It's those brilliant false flavours, the faux banana persists all the way through to modern milkshakes. Though modern banana Angel Delight claims to be 2% banana powder, so what do I know. I know we had bananas in the 70/80s or my mother couldn't have got chased around Spar by a Fyffes' tarantula.

There is a strawberry flavour, but strawberry was always a bit dull, though better than vanilla if you were faced with the dilemma of which end to start eating a Neopolitan ice cream wafer sandwich.

citoyen

things i'd like to eat
« Reply #32 on: 27 January, 2021, 08:48:08 pm »

Give over. Like that stuff has ever been anywhere near a strawberry.

It was pink flavour, I’m telling you. Same as foam shrimps.

« Reply #33 on: 27 January, 2021, 08:52:06 pm »
The first MrsC was very partial to Butterscotch Angel Delight.
We didn't have it when I was small--too expensive. We had to make to with generic 'instant whip'.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ian

« Reply #34 on: 27 January, 2021, 08:59:48 pm »

Give over. Like that stuff has ever been anywhere near a strawberry.

It was pink flavour, I’m telling you. Same as foam shrimps.

Also 2% strawberry powder. This excessive fruit content might just be a modern affection, back in my day, it was probably emulsified coal tar dye #4856.

Foam shrimps, I'm sure, have a zero per cent shrimp content.

My gran used to do brilliant mushy peas, soaked corpse grey overnight and reanimated with a liberal dose of lurid green food colouring, a shade unknown outside of exotic chemical processes.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #35 on: 27 January, 2021, 09:05:53 pm »
Banana flavouring has that wonderful synthetic estery flavour of... banana flavouring!

For reasons I won't go into here, I sickened myself of bananas many years ago, and can't really look at them now.
And yet, banana-flavour chews etc are still just fine!

Now, how about Creamola Foam?
This was the predecessor to Sodastream.

An effervescent powder containing sugar, flavour, and some effervescent agent to make a drink fit to rot your teeth and send you hyperactive!

Last I heard, someone had bought the rights to the stuff, and was asking around on the internet if anyone still had a copy of the recipe, which had been lost in the mists of time.

Davef

things i'd like to eat
« Reply #36 on: 27 January, 2021, 09:32:09 pm »
Back in the day, when poisoning schoolchildren was less frowned upon, we made pear drop flavouring in a chemistry lesson. I remember the teacher saying when combined the components would be completely non toxic.

« Reply #37 on: 27 January, 2021, 09:39:47 pm »
Cremola Foam!

Brilliant in lemonade... I don't know what it tasted like, because it didn't stay in the glass.

We had to make us own fun in them days.

« Reply #38 on: 27 January, 2021, 09:42:33 pm »
In a thread called "things I'd like to eat", everyone seems to be skirting around with kooky posts about childhood sweets and puddings.

We're all thinking exactly the same thing about what we'd really like to eat, but none of you have the guts to be honest about it and get it out in the open.

You people  ::-)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #39 on: 27 January, 2021, 09:46:40 pm »
Canned ravioli - I remember having that as a kid, but I don't remember how it tasted. Probably like dog food.

I remember eating that cold out of a tin on a biology field trip to Tomintoul.
And butterscotch something (no idea if it was Angel delight or instant whip) when I was a small. Looking at the photos of it just now gives me the boak though.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #40 on: 27 January, 2021, 09:49:28 pm »
OK then Flatus, I'd like to eat:
Lobster
Rare duck breast with sour cherries and roast potatoes
Lime sorbet
Pistachio ice cream (shut it ian, it's the best flavour of ice cream, so ner)
Cheeeese.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #41 on: 27 January, 2021, 09:51:22 pm »
In a thread called "things I'd like to eat", everyone seems to be skirting around with kooky posts about childhood sweets and puddings.

We're all thinking exactly the same thing about what we'd really like to eat, but none of you have the guts to be honest about it and get it out in the open.

Are you suggesting that we should be discussing 'Who' we'd like to eat?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #42 on: 27 January, 2021, 09:53:52 pm »

Take-aways, obviously.

"Eat out to help out."

That's what she said.

« Reply #43 on: 27 January, 2021, 09:56:03 pm »
Canned ravioli - I remember having that as a kid, but I don't remember how it tasted. Probably like dog food.

I remember eating that cold out of a tin on a biology field trip to Tomintoul.
And butterscotch something (no idea if it was Angel delight or instant whip) when I was a small. Looking at the photos of it just now gives me the boak though.
I've been to Tomintoul.
The only place I've ever been where the village shop has whisky priced at £365.00 a bottle.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #44 on: 27 January, 2021, 10:05:31 pm »
Can I recommend shepherd's pie sandwich?

Get the cheapest white bread and the cheapest frozen shepherd's pie.  Cook pie.  Homogenise it with a fork, spread onto the bread and eat the sandwich while warm.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #45 on: 27 January, 2021, 10:07:51 pm »

I've been to Tomintoul.
The only place I've ever been where the village shop has whisky priced at £365.00 a bottle.

Well, it's pretty near Balmoral, doesn't take long in the Range Rover....

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #46 on: 27 January, 2021, 10:09:03 pm »
24 hour ration pack mixed fruit pudding - imagine a heavy spongy cake / suet pudding laced with spices, and heavily fruited, eaten cold, or warmed, out of the tin around a camp fire, with a spoon.

By contrast, the breakfast offering of sausages, in a tin, surrounded by solid pork fat. Barely edible hot, vomitous cold. My preference was rolled oats with drinking chocolate, spooned onto oatmeal blocks. And coffee.

I have simple tastes
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #47 on: 27 January, 2021, 10:15:40 pm »

Are you suggesting that we should be discussing 'Who' we'd like to eat?

Indeed

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #48 on: 27 January, 2021, 10:17:33 pm »
Ruthie and davelodwig are right, you tinned eat the all day breakfasts once and not that nice thing is is the mushroom and pork eggy things. 

I like tinned ravioli as it tastes so different to real ravioli.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #49 on: 27 January, 2021, 10:19:44 pm »
Quite fancy real chicken sushi.