Author Topic: Pedalcover  (Read 1714 times)

Pedalcover
« on: 01 March, 2021, 09:59:02 am »
I have my bikes and house contents insured with Pedalcover for theft.
The renewal is due in March.
They've just advised me that they have changed their underwriter from AXA to NIG, and because my house is in an area where there is risk of subsidence, they are no longer able to offer me insurance cover.

Does anyone have any recommendations for contents cover insurance?

Re: Pedalcover
« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2021, 10:02:03 am »
I gave up on Pedalcover this year due to the exremely high premium. I found M&S insurance is currently offering cover for expensive bikes so moved to them.

« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2021, 01:01:24 pm »
I did renew with Pedalcover, but with a heavy heart. The premium was very little different, but they'd stripped out the home emergency cover, and the 'bikes in a garage' requirements are somewhat more onerous.
I'll be looking carefully for what recommendations come up later this year.
They're a good company, but they've dropped it this time.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2021, 11:43:06 pm »
Ah. I'm in the process of renewing and am looking at Pedal cover. The garage thing is proving an issue for me too - currently my rented garage is too far from my flat but they've referred it upwards.

Jurek,have you tried Old Git Insurance Saga? I'm with them at the moment,but they're quoting a bit of a hike in the premium. This could be the "stick the price up and hope the punter doesn't notice", but they might offer a better deal to new business.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #4 on: 03 March, 2021, 12:18:21 am »
Oh, that doesn’t sound good . I keep my bikes in a shared stairwell, with a honking great chain & Pragmaxis anchor.  They were Ok about that when I took the policy out a couple of years ago, I’ll have to check when the renewal comes through  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #5 on: 06 March, 2021, 08:40:26 am »
I've gone with M&S in the end (underwritten by Aviva).
Premium for my contents is approximately a quarter of what it was with Pedalcover, and I get an additional £25k's worth of contents covered.
The bikes are insured while they are indoors - which they appear to be an awful lot these days - so I've not insured them when they are away from the house.

« Reply #6 on: 06 March, 2021, 07:18:09 pm »
Interesting, I was going to ask what everyone is using at the moment. Our Pedal Cover insurance expires next month. I need to look around.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #7 on: 06 March, 2021, 08:00:30 pm »
Same here. I’ve been with Pedalcover for a few years, but now their underwriter demands receipts for all the individual parts if you’ve built your bikes yourself. No way will I have that. Maybe they’ve been a victim of their own success and have seen too meant claims.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #8 on: 06 March, 2021, 08:50:38 pm »
I've gone with M&S in the end (underwritten by Aviva).
Premium for my contents is approximately a quarter of what it was with Pedalcover, and I get an additional £25k's worth of contents covered.
The bikes are insured while they are indoors - which they appear to be an awful lot these days - so I've not insured them when they are away from the house.

Bah!   I think most of us were with M&S previously as they had a good bikes policy, then they changed it & Pedalcover came along & filled the gap.    Is there an upper limit on the value of bikes insured ?  My Nomad would cost a kidney to replace !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #9 on: 06 March, 2021, 10:34:33 pm »
M&S limit is around £18k. John Lewis is £5k.