Author Topic: Carrying a Brompton on a car roof  (Read 4240 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Carrying a Brompton on a car roof
« on: 16 May, 2021, 02:38:33 pm »
I know this will seem counter-intuitive, but does anybody have any experience of carrying a Brompton (unfolded) on rooftop bike carrier? I've been googling to see if there is a Brompton-specific one, with no luck, and I have a feeling that my standard Thule ones won't do the trick.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Re: Carrying a Brompton on a car roof
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2021, 06:49:40 pm »
Is a roof box an option? Ive got a folding one as lack of storage space which would easily take a folded Brompton

« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2021, 07:55:10 pm »
Plenty of people carry kids bikes on the roof. What to you suppose the problem will be?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2021, 10:18:44 pm »
Plenty of people carry kids bikes on the roof. What to you suppose the problem will be?

That's a terrible thing to say about a Brompton.
It is simpler than it looks.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2021, 10:21:42 pm »

That's a terrible thing to say about a Brompton.

Yeah, your autocarrot is being weird. Its a clown bike, not a kids bike...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2021, 08:38:25 am »
I’ve got a Thule roof rack and a Brompton. I’ve never tried the two together but I’ll have a go and report back.

Edit: the answer to your question is yes it can. Once the wheel harnesses are adjusted for the Brompton’s wheelbase, the clamp will fit round the main tube, about 6 inches in front of the seat post.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Redlight

« Reply #6 on: 17 May, 2021, 10:03:33 am »

I haven't tried yet - the roof bars and rack have been in the garage since the restrictions on travel came in last year - but I suspect that when I raise the bar that locks on to the bike frame, the angle will be too tight to be able to grip the bike securely. Kids' bike tend to have standard diamond frames but, of course, the Brompton frame is H-shaped.

The roof box idea, as suggested, is currently plan B  :)

« Reply #7 on: 17 May, 2021, 10:26:58 am »
ok, I've held my tongue for enough.  I'll bite.     Why oh why oh why is this a question?

The reason we got our Bromptons was because they were the smallest folding bikes on the market at the time (except the Sinclair A-bike and from experience I can say that that is just silly).  They fitted in the rear footwell of a small car that was heavily laden with luggage.  They'll fit on the rear seat between passengers.  On a train they fit under the seat in the suitcase space (your train line may vary).

How heavily laden is your vehicle that a Brompton needs to go on the roof?

« Reply #8 on: 17 May, 2021, 10:38:11 am »
The reason we got our Bromptons was because they were the smallest folding bikes on the market at the time (except the Sinclair A-bike and from experience I can say that that is just silly).  They fitted in the rear footwell of a small car that was heavily laden with luggage.  They'll fit on the rear seat between passengers.  On a train they fit under the seat in the suitcase space (your train line may vary).

Are you talking about a big heavy ugly sharp jabby bits everywhere folded Brompton and not, for example, a cuddly toy?

« Reply #9 on: 17 May, 2021, 02:14:11 pm »
Plan A: fold the Brompton and hang it from the car's towing loop (after shrinking in the wash if necessary)
Plan B Put all the clothes in the roof box, leaving space for the bike in the car
Plan C Put in a pair of walking boots  and leave the Brompton at home (you know it makes sense!)

Redlight

« Reply #10 on: 17 May, 2021, 02:31:53 pm »
ok, I've held my tongue for enough.  I'll bite.     Why oh why oh why is this a question?

A -very. Two adults, two large teenage boys and all of our/their gear plus provisions for a self-catering holiday. It never ceases to amaze how quickly the boot of the car fills up. and how, when it is full, suddenly another three bags appear....  ::-)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 17 May, 2021, 02:36:52 pm »

A -very. Two adults, two large teenage boys and all of our/their gear plus provisions for a self-catering holiday. It never ceases to amaze how quickly the boot of the car fills up. and how, when it is full, suddenly another three bags appear....  ::-)

Leave the teenagers behind? The brompton is clearly far more useful...

J
--

Redlight

« Reply #12 on: 17 May, 2021, 02:40:08 pm »

J

Oh, if only.... but I'm not sure there would be anything left to come back to.

« Reply #13 on: 18 May, 2021, 07:50:32 pm »
As I mentioned to you earlier, maybe you could use one of the false top tubes sold to let you carry step through frames on those carriers.

'False top tube' is enough for google to work with, but it looks like Rutland Cycles has got the Thule version on sale at the moment - https://www.rutlandcycling.com/accessories/bike-storage-transport/thule-982-bike-frame-adapter__309002

Redlight

« Reply #14 on: 18 May, 2021, 09:46:16 pm »
Thanks - I've emailed to ask if they think it will work with a Brompton. At that price it would be cheaper than renting a bike.

« Reply #15 on: 19 May, 2021, 08:52:35 am »
Or fit the wheels into the channel of a normal rack and then use luggage straps as guy lines to triangulate either side and hold the bike(s) upright?
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #16 on: 19 May, 2021, 07:03:48 pm »

J

In my experience you come back to every pan, mug, glass and item of crockery in dirty piles around the kitchen and bedrooms. our teenagers may vary.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #17 on: 19 May, 2021, 07:37:32 pm »
A roofrack that takes the bike upside down, clamping on the bars and the saddle (usually the bike isn't clamped as such at the saddle, more slid into a sort of shoe and fixed with straps) should work without any modification. Strapping the bike direct to the cross bars of a roofrack on a car with rails would also work.

« Reply #18 on: 20 May, 2021, 11:36:21 am »

It can be done.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Redlight

« Reply #19 on: 20 May, 2021, 03:03:02 pm »
Inpressive! I shall wave this photo at Mrs Redlight and tell her that she can take her bike to the ball! 

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #20 on: 20 May, 2021, 05:10:10 pm »

Just remember to lock it. Bikes stolen from racks on cars are far too common.

J
--

Redlight

« Reply #21 on: 22 May, 2021, 09:50:39 am »

J

Too true. I usually triple lock - the roof bars are locked to the roof, the bike carriers are locked to the roof bars and the bikes are locked to the bike carriers. If I'm parking up overnight anywhere, then I'll usually use a couple of D-locks as well.

« Reply #22 on: 22 May, 2021, 08:04:24 pm »

J

Too true. I usually triple lock - the roof bars are locked to the roof, the bike carriers are locked to the roof bars and the bikes are locked to the bike carriers. If I'm parking up overnight anywhere, then I'll usually use a couple of D-locks as well.

And don't forget the low height barriers going into a lot of carparks these days (at least if french experience is anything to go by.

« Reply #23 on: 24 May, 2021, 05:59:02 am »

J

In my experience you come back to every pan, mug, glass and item of crockery in dirty piles around the kitchen and bedrooms. our teenagers may vary.

Yellow Pages?
Move Faster and Bake Things