Author Topic: Gluten-free bread from a breadmaker  (Read 858 times)

Gluten-free bread from a breadmaker
« on: 28 March, 2009, 10:26:26 am »
Ingredients
400gm flour. I use half Doves farm gf white bread flour, half buckwheat. The buckwheat can be a bit strong, you can use all gf bread flour

200ml milk

100ml warm water

1 whole egg

50gm butter or marg.

1/2 teaspoon guar gum

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon dried yeast

Method

Mix all dry ingredients (except yeast) together in a bowl.

Melt butter.  Beat butter, egg, milk and water together in breadmaker container

Pour dry ingredients into breadmaker, sprinkle yeast on top.

Set breadmaker going, after 3-4 min check it. If it looks at all dry, add warm water. It should go to a batter-consistency rather than than a classic dough.

This works in our breadmaker on a 2hr dark crust setting.

You can do really nice spiced fruit loaves as well, just use all bread flower, a tablespoon of sugar, some allspice and add loads of raisins when the bread is part-mixed.

The bread is best eaten the following day. It keeps for 3-4 days fine and has a really good consistency, better than anything I've bought. I can use it for sandwiches, toast, anything you'd use normal wheat bread for.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: Gluten-free bread from a breadmaker
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2009, 07:17:37 pm »
Thank you for this. I will give it a good try.

« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2009, 08:38:59 pm »
I have had moderate success with your recipe. The bread is of a good texture and tastes lovely. However, I didn't have guar gum and used xanthum gum instead and the bread has not risen completely. Where does one find guar gum and do you know how it differs from zanthum gum?

« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2009, 01:51:27 pm »
I buy mine from a wholefood shop or Morrisons.

I dunno what the difference is, tbh. As far as I can tell, they both do the same job.

The bread is still a bit more 'solid' than wheat bread.  maybe up the amount of sugar and see if that helps.
<i>Marmite slave</i>