Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1620319 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #13025 on: 18 March, 2021, 12:32:07 pm »

What do you do with banana and citrus skin & apple cores?

Compost them. Along with the mouse and shrew corpses, and often the chicken bones. Oh, and urine, if I'm working in the shed.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #13026 on: 18 March, 2021, 02:21:17 pm »
Compost goes better with HLA - Human Liquid Accelerator.   ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #13027 on: 18 March, 2021, 02:22:27 pm »
Rubbish fortnightly, recycling weekly here. Garden waste fortnightly for an extra charge (no idea how much). Big campaign about two years ago to get people to put food waste in the brown food waste bins not the black rubbish wheelie bin. Also, the wheelie bins got smaller.
That's just happened here.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #13028 on: 18 March, 2021, 02:22:44 pm »
Are we in the London Borough of Hillingdon the only ones who get full, free collections every week? Three trucks: one for general rubbish in black sacks, one for recycling material in supplied clear sacks, and one for green/food waste for composting.  We compost waste uncooked food (mostly veg trimmings) in our own composter.

No. Redbridge are weekly collections, too. What is more, we have just shifted to wheelie bins for general refuse. You can probably smell the flames on the local Facebook group in Hillingdon.

« Reply #13029 on: 18 March, 2021, 02:34:51 pm »
Here in the glorious people's republic of Islington we get daily collections at 6:50 pm sharp every day and no wheelie bins. They drop off huge stacks of recycling bags regularly too.

(one of the few advantages of living on a main road)

« Reply #13030 on: 18 March, 2021, 03:27:22 pm »
As a dweller in an Edinburgh tenement flat - all rubbish has to be carried down and put into street bins and I have no idea when they are emptied! We have bins for Landfill; cardboard and other packaging; paper; glass; and composable stuff (which we were given a little bin for as described upthread).

« Reply #13031 on: 18 March, 2021, 03:55:54 pm »
Here we have alternate weeks for general waste and recycling (glass, tins, paper, cardboard, some plastics).
They are very reliable, even in the winter when the same crews are on the snowploughs!
No green waste collection (compost heaps for garden stuff, veg scraps and a lot of the cardboard)
No waste food collection (we don't eat meat or fish, and don't waste much food anyway.)
Waste disposal unit in sink takes any cooked bits to our waste water treatment thingy in the garden.

About the only thing our council is good at is rubbish....
Unsurprisingly ours is the same regime from the same Council.
The waste generated by the household is a bit different though as we're more urban and don't garden.

« Reply #13032 on: 21 March, 2021, 02:21:47 pm »
When our new neighbours moved in around a year ago, we were heartened to overhear them discussing where the hole for the washing line might be in the lawn. We knew there wasn’t one - the previous occupants of 20 years never hung any washing out.

Fast forward to today, and there is still no line. Instead, it’s impossible to enjoy our patio as a result of the overpowering noxious “lemon” stench emanating from their property courtesy of their tumble dryer “scent” thing.  >:( >:( 

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13033 on: 21 March, 2021, 03:01:45 pm »
That thing when you pull/tweak a muscle in your neck/shoulder by turning over in bed.  :facepalm:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13034 on: 21 March, 2021, 03:14:54 pm »
That thing when you pull/tweak a muscle in your neck/shoulder by turning over in bed.  :facepalm:

* Kim mutters darkly

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #13035 on: 22 March, 2021, 03:19:30 pm »
When our new neighbours moved in around a year ago, we were heartened to overhear them discussing where the hole for the washing line might be in the lawn. We knew there wasn’t one - the previous occupants of 20 years never hung any washing out.

Fast forward to today, and there is still no line. Instead, it’s impossible to enjoy our patio as a result of the overpowering noxious “lemon” stench emanating from their property courtesy of their tumble dryer “scent” thing.  >:( >:(
Sympathies.  Yet more chemicals released etc.  Why haven't they (and similar) been banned yet?  Even if not harmful I can't see they're actually beneficial.

In a similar vein our new neighbours leave the frikkin lasers patio lights on all evening every evening.  I'm not sure why as they're never on the patio.  Meanwhile I get the frikkin lasers in my eyes every time I come out of my bike shed, and can't see down my own garden as the fence casts a massive dark shadow (from about chest height down) on account of said frikkin lasers.

When I actually get to meet them I'll mention it.  Otherwise they seem quieter than the previous lot. :-)

On the up side the smoker among them hasn't (yet) used the side passage as a rain shelter - cause our  mandatory ventilation for a gas fired device is in said side passage, thus being perfect for any smoke ingress.

Which reminds me, are herbal cigarettes a thing now?  I'm sure tobacco smoke doesn't smell the same as it used to.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13036 on: 22 March, 2021, 03:49:41 pm »
Which reminds me, are herbal hairball cigarettes a thing now?  I'm sure tobacco smoke doesn't smell the same as it used to.

FTFY
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13037 on: 22 March, 2021, 04:02:21 pm »
Are you sure it's not like walking round Denver*? The only herbal cigarettes I know of that might be popular are the ones that your mum warned you about.

*Colorado is one of the states that has made the selling and private consumption of weed legal.  However walk down any street, go to a football game, do anything where smokers are and you _will_ smell weed.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #13038 on: 29 March, 2021, 12:46:20 pm »
Having a sort out in the garage as I need to go to the local dump recycling centre and want to take a full load when I go - I've not been for over a year.
The local dump recycling centre has no available slots in the next week (you can only book 7 days in advance). The next one has slots next Sunday. But you can only have one person unloading, which will be a challenge getting rid of a couple of big bags of green waste, as tat his one you have to climb stairs to get to skip level, rather than the other where they are below you. So if I shred the leylandii cuttings as I normally do to be able to do it in one trip, I won't be able to carry it. If I don't shred it, that'll be about three trips - and you are only allowed one a week.

You can also only take 10 litres of engine oil per six months apparently. As all our vehicles have been serviced by me at home, and I wasn't up to date on getting rid of old oil anyway, I now have about 30 litres :-(

I can see why country lane laybys are seen as a good option by some now.

« Reply #13039 on: 29 March, 2021, 02:09:46 pm »
Dear BBC News. The name "EVERGREEN" is painted on the side of a ship in letters that must be over 15m high. Why then do you persist in writing it's name as "EVER GIVEN".  ::-)

« Reply #13040 on: 29 March, 2021, 02:13:54 pm »
Because that is its name. Evergreen is the company

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #13041 on: 29 March, 2021, 02:19:35 pm »
My dog keeps farting in her sleep next to my desk.

It's rank.

:sick:

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #13042 on: 29 March, 2021, 02:38:30 pm »
Dear BBC News. The name "EVERGREEN" is painted on the side of a ship in letters that must be over 15m high. Why then do you persist in writing it's name as "EVER GIVEN".  ::-)

Same on all news outlets, not just the BBC.  Reason is as HF states.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13043 on: 29 March, 2021, 02:54:10 pm »
Evergreen's fleet of Golden-class container ships, as any fule kno, consists of Ever Golden, Ever Genius, Ever Gifted, Ever Glory, Ever Globe, Ever Goods, Ever Given, Ever Grade, Ever Gentle, Ever Govern and Ever Greet.  It must have taken some highly paid PR genius literally minutes to come up with that list.  Though only one of them has its own article on Wikinaccurate.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #13044 on: 29 March, 2021, 03:04:34 pm »
Sources refuse to confirm, however, that the Ever Given is to be renamed the "(What The) Ever Loving Hell Have You Done?"  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #13045 on: 29 March, 2021, 03:05:42 pm »
Are we in the London Borough of Hillingdon the only ones who get full, free collections every week? Three trucks: one for general rubbish in black sacks, one for recycling material in supplied clear sacks, and one for green/food waste for composting.  We compost waste uncooked food (mostly veg trimmings) in our own composter.

We used to get daily collections when we lived in Westminster.

In Cambridge it's alternate weeks for recycling and garden waste, and general rubbish.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #13046 on: 29 March, 2021, 03:14:13 pm »
Sources refuse to confirm, however, that the Ever Given is to be renamed the "(What The) Ever Loving Hell Have You Done?"  :demon:

That's almost a Culture ship name.  the Canal Obstruction Unit "(What The) Ever Loving Hell Have You Done?"
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #13047 on: 29 March, 2021, 07:32:55 pm »
It'll be renamed Ever Goofed?

ian

« Reply #13048 on: 29 March, 2021, 08:23:13 pm »
Evergreen's fleet of Golden-class container ships, as any fule kno, consists of Ever Golden, Ever Genius, Ever Gifted, Ever Glory, Ever Globe, Ever Goods, Ever Given, Ever Grade, Ever Gentle, Ever Govern and Ever Greet.  It must have taken some highly paid PR genius literally minutes to come up with that list.  Though only one of them has its own article on Wikinaccurate.

Please tell me there's one called Ever Hard.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13049 on: 29 March, 2021, 08:32:21 pm »

Please tell me there's one called Ever Hard.

Now I'm expecting the next addition to the fleet to be the Ever Grayson.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime