Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576323 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #8075 on: 28 August, 2016, 12:46:42 pm »
A pox on feeble USAnian Anbaricks, which is taking approximately three years to bring the kettle to a suitable state of boilingness for the production of Proper Tea >:(
Shouldn't this be in First World Problems?  ;D

Debatable.
Methinks in the Third World they would boil water efficiently with FIRE

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8076 on: 28 August, 2016, 01:09:37 pm »
A pox on feeble USAnian Anbaricks, which is taking approximately three years to bring the kettle to a suitable state of boilingness for the production of Proper Tea >:(

Debatable.
Methinks in the Third World they would boil water efficiently with FIRE

Thus deforesting the Sahel.  Open fires are actually quite inefficient for boiling pots.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8077 on: 28 August, 2016, 04:25:37 pm »
Everything I need/want to buy is going up in price!  I've got so used to fancy things steadily getting cheaper, that its a bit of a struggle seeing a watch go from £130 to £160, a monitor go from £475 to £515, and an SSD go up from £233 to £269 since March.  Ouch!  Not sure if the SSD (Samsung) is affected by any earthquakery, and i have no idea where the Dell monitor is made, but the watch is Swiss, so I'm puzzled.  Probably not "Brexitery"...

Nah, the pound has tanked against the Swiss franc as well, so Brexitery is still in the frame. The posher sort of watch has increased prices well above inflation for at least the last decade, so that may also be a factor...

« Reply #8078 on: 28 August, 2016, 06:28:04 pm »
Looks like idiot son will be short on money for a little while, then.  Unless he's a tiny, then he needs to learn that actions (or inactions) have consequences.

He's 24 and a penniless oaf student, having already spent his summer job earnings. But he's just "loaned" me a spare router, and thankfully the drive and the plusnet router survived their soaking.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8079 on: 29 August, 2016, 09:40:49 am »
I still think woodwork when I read "router". I have a Bosch and a big Metabo but apart from the mains they don't connect to anything.

Anyway, my grouse of the day is about the beautiful Le Tanneur document case I was given a while back.  It's nominally for A4 docs & pads, but since it's stiff leather and all the pockets are sized to exact A4 dimensions, it's impossible to slide more than a single sheet into any of them, and that at risk of crumpling.  Eejits.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8080 on: 29 August, 2016, 07:00:20 pm »
I've got a feckin insect bite on my bum and it itches, grrrr!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8081 on: 30 August, 2016, 01:28:56 pm »
My telephone got wet on my bike ride. :(

The screen, at best, has a thin bright line down the middle - at worst is rendered in shades of green. :(
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8082 on: 30 August, 2016, 03:20:11 pm »
When I search for 'envelopes' on Sainsbury's website

I am looking to purchase postal stationery.

You can stuff your poncey teabags elsewhere.

Thank you.

« Reply #8083 on: 30 August, 2016, 05:00:21 pm »
Ruddy no-longer-a-teen who returned home early from family holiday had her 'farewell to friends' before going to uni party on Sunday, one day after we returned from holiday. Not while we were away and she was at home, but after we returned.

First day back at work and she wants 2 friends round to watch movies for half the night. Not in her room, but in the living room. That will be the only room in the house I relax in when I get home.

Making a pleasure out of a pain; I repaired a punctured tyre in friend's bike (best friend of the Ruddy no-longer-a-teen), rode it round to their house, ran 2 miles home, showered and went out for a meal with MrsC. Not planned but a nice evening out.
A bit knackered now, 'cause I've walked about 4 miles today and run 2.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8084 on: 01 September, 2016, 01:32:26 pm »
The soft bag in which my reading glasses live when off duty has gone missing.  I work even fewer locations than Laszlo Woodbine but it appears not to be in any of them chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8085 on: 01 September, 2016, 09:07:39 pm »
That would be continuing the illusion that the USA is the First World.  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8086 on: 03 September, 2016, 11:17:22 pm »
We're off to Majorca for a week soon so I ordered a few Euros for us to use as spending money.

The bank has sent me thirty-five notes in four denominations. I can hardly close my 'space cash' purse!

« Reply #8087 on: 06 September, 2016, 09:05:10 am »
My neck & right shoulder have been sore & stiff for 2 days now,  it hurts all the time & I can't look over my right shoulder when on the bike.    I must be getting old, I've even ordered one of those microwave heat pad thingies! 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #8088 on: 07 September, 2016, 08:12:02 am »
We're off to Majorca for a week soon so I ordered a few Euros for us to use as spending money.

The bank has sent me thirty-five notes in four denominations. I can hardly close my 'space cash' purse!

On the other hand, keeping your holiday money separate is a great idea! Some in socks, bras, underwear, secret hole in sole etc.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8089 on: 07 September, 2016, 11:04:56 am »
Trudge up the stairs one at a time and the Fitbit counts the steps and one "floor".  Run up them two at a time and it doesn't notice. Tw@s.

« Reply #8090 on: 07 September, 2016, 01:13:06 pm »
bloody aerosol air 'freshner' in the work toilets made me sneeze
<i>Marmite slave</i>

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #8091 on: 07 September, 2016, 03:44:51 pm »
Trudge up the stairs one at a time and the Fitbit counts the steps and one "floor".  Run up them two at a time and it doesn't notice. Tw@s.

Yep mine feels me I'm asleep if I sit up in bed in the night and read.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8092 on: 07 September, 2016, 04:33:22 pm »
You're both doing it wrong.  Stop turning 2 pages at a time, and run up the stairs more vigorously.   :D

TBH, I'm astounded that the things can infer anything even remotely like useful data from an accelerometer on the *wrist*.  Actually, I've got a cadence sensor that works on the same principle, which doesn't.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8093 on: 07 September, 2016, 04:44:04 pm »
TBH, I don't give a monkey's what the POYS thinks.  I wear it mostly because three days after the missus gave me it the battery in my real watch ran out. But it's amusing to see that after a 100k it thinks I've climbed 120 floors.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8094 on: 07 September, 2016, 04:45:28 pm »
Barakta's recorded several thousand steps from a session in the washing machine.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8095 on: 07 September, 2016, 05:50:58 pm »
You're both doing it wrong.  Stop turning 2 pages at a time, and run up the stairs more vigorously.   :D

TBH, I'm astounded that the things can infer anything even remotely like useful data from an accelerometer on the *wrist*.  Actually, I've got a cadence sensor that works on the same principle, which doesn't.

Trust me I'm a doctor tested lots of those Fitbit style devices this week and basically their verdict was - they can't
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #8096 on: 07 September, 2016, 07:28:10 pm »
I don't know whether I've done exactly 16381 steps today, and it is pretty easy to fool if you want to, e.g. the floors climbed is certainly broken if you live somewhere hilly; it thinks mowing my parents' lawn is aerobics; I regard the heart rate as uncalibrated and purely wrist based activities (like beating eggs for a meringue) get counted as steps. But, it reminds me when I've been lazy, sitting in one place for ages, how often I was disturbed in the night (which I forget but am still tired) and stress shows up in the relative resting heart rate. So, on balance I like it as a way of reflecting on my day to day care of myself. I doubt my doctor will ever use it as the sole basis of anything.
When I next get a new phone I'll get one that talks to it, so it can buzz when I get a call. Mrs Dan will like this, as I might actually notice it.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8097 on: 07 September, 2016, 09:41:04 pm »
Barakta's recorded several thousand steps from a session in the washing machine.

I'm going to assume barakta wasn't wearing it at the time.   :o
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8098 on: 07 September, 2016, 09:48:11 pm »

On the other hand, keeping your holiday money separate is a great idea! Some in socks, bras, underwear, secret hole in sole etc.

I found another space cash purse with a hundred Euros enclosed before I left.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8099 on: 08 September, 2016, 02:04:03 am »
The card machine at tonight's accommodation would not talk to my credit card.  If this is symptomatic of a wider malaise there will be trouble >:(

Edit: The "gas" station up the street was quite happy to take thirty-eight dollars from it in exchange for a Certain Quantity of motor-spirit so it's them not me.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime