Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391391 times)

Hillbilly

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #350 on: 22 July, 2012, 10:09:06 am »
Does anyone know if the FFCT brevet randonneurs (aka cyclo montagnardes) automatically qualify as AUK eligible events, or if they have to be done as permanents to be recognised.

Related, do the altitude points gained on overseas events run by other national bodies count towards the AAA award?

Link to the events I am thinking of (for 2013) below:

http://ffct.org/index.php?id=45

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #351 on: 23 July, 2012, 06:21:45 pm »
Dunno about AAAs, but my experience of P-R*:
You can claim AUK points by sending the details to the AUK Recorder. Who IIRC was Neville Holgate at the time.

But your link talks about a 12km/h min speed, so that's confused me a bit - is that just for the hilly events?

(Rubbish answer, I know, but noone else has tried in 24 hours ...!)

*pretty sure P-R was an FFCT event
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Hillbilly

« Reply #352 on: 23 July, 2012, 06:27:33 pm »
Thanks.  A similar principle I suppose, althought I'd overlooked the minimum speed and this is likely to rule the event out as an "official" AUK event.  The DIY option might be the only one up for grabs.  I suppose I could even just ride them as they are, but with an entry in the Mileater journal, without worrying about AUK "verification" (just like I've done with various Raids in the past).  Strange how the this AUK member mindset works - AUK recording gives it an additional sheen and purpose.

I was taking the silence as an answer in itself - ask someone with an official hat on.  I know Steve S for AAA but not sure about distance considerations.  I'm going to guess that its the AUK recorder...

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #353 on: 24 July, 2012, 09:20:10 am »
When completeing a AA perm does one need to:

a) make each control within the allocated time to qualify;

b) provide other evidence (GPX) of sticking to the route.

I am aware of the rules Re. being able to take which ever route you like between controls on a non AA route,  but does the same apply for a AA perm?

J

Thanks Manotea,
That's cleared that up

J

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #354 on: 14 August, 2012, 09:08:00 am »
... I'd overlooked the minimum speed and this is likely to rule the event out as an "official" AUK event.  The DIY option might be the only one up for grabs.

There are only two categories of events "recognised" by AUK.
1) Events organised by an AUK Organiser, or by AUK themselves, within AUK's general setup.
2) For non-AUK events, ONLY events that are listed in the Calendar of RM events produced annually by ACP. 
This calendar includes events from all over the world, though under 'France' it doesn't generally include FFCT events, good though they often are.  There is no AUK mechanism for 'appealing' to have a non-listed event recognised.
Now, I can't actually find the current RM Calendar online and the printed version is hard to find too.  The printed version used to be replicated in Arrivee each year, but that stopped when an online version became readily available.

Registering it as a DIY then riding the event would contravene the (currently unwritten) 'no concurrent events' rule.

I've ridden several of the BC-MF series of events (long time ago) and they are wonderful classics.  The most recent ones I did were split into three, time-wise - Tourist, Randonneur and Vedette or some such.  The Tourist version split a 200+ -ish mountainous ride over 1 and a half days, by all accounts a good time is had by all, at the overnight accommodation.  The Randonneur version is the classic wee small hours start, with the first mountain ridden in darkness, a snake of red lights to follow and a good long day in the saddle.  The fast version starts around 6am, and with a 7pm finish cutoff makes for quite a challenging ride.  Of course all three groups tend to tackle the last mountain together, which with 2000+ riders makes for a great atmosphere.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #355 on: 14 August, 2012, 12:44:27 pm »
Brevet 25000 question.

Can the 1,000k be substituted for a longer ride such as LEL or does it have to be a stand alone 1,000k ???

I just need the 1,000k now & to get the 250 points required.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #356 on: 14 August, 2012, 01:08:38 pm »
I believe it has to be a 1000km.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #357 on: 14 August, 2012, 01:16:35 pm »
AUK generally takes the approach that a longer brevet can substitute for a shorter one. ACP rarely allows substitutions.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #358 on: 14 August, 2012, 10:30:51 pm »
So if I were to ECE to the start of a calendar Audax but realise I'm not going to get there in time and so got a train would I still get credit for the actual event?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #359 on: 15 August, 2012, 05:49:28 am »
Yes.

« Reply #360 on: 06 September, 2012, 04:50:08 pm »
Sorry if this has been mentioned a million times but I am trying to sort out an ECE thing. Not done this before.

If I do a 100k event, and 50k to and from home either side, I assume it counts as a 200 for the RRTY?

The kind of route I just vaguely plotted to the event if I go out the way a bit and do a couple of intermediate controls looks to be about pretty much exactly 50k, but what site do people use to see the minimum distance between places?

Did any of that even make any sense?!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #361 on: 06 September, 2012, 06:04:40 pm »
ECE's broadly use all the same rules/understandings/"interpretations" as DIYs. And as I think only Martin does the things, your best bet is to see what he says  (either on the AUK event page, or on the DIY thread here).

IIRC Google maps walking mode is the current standard. ViaMichelin on "Shortest" was preferred before that. I suspect the latter gives shorter figures, if I'm honest!

Either way, if it ends up bang on x00km, I would submit it and ask for approval. Although with a route as short as 50k, you can probably check by eye whether there are any shortcuts possible.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #362 on: 06 September, 2012, 11:45:31 pm »
Sorry if this has been mentioned a million times but I am trying to sort out an ECE thing. Not done this before.

If I do a 100k event, and 50k to and from home either side, I assume it counts as a 200 for the RRTY?

I believe it does.

The kind of route I just vaguely plotted to the event if I go out the way a bit and do a couple of intermediate controls looks to be about pretty much exactly 50k, but what site do people use to see the minimum distance between places?

I always double check from two of Google Maps, Bikehike.co.uk or Microsoft Autoroute

Did any of that even make any sense?!

Nope.

But then I assumed you were taking certain substances given that you are posting on here...

:)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #363 on: 07 September, 2012, 04:09:01 pm »

Yes, that's right. You end up with two rides in your results list, like this:

Evno    Event                                  Date    Pts  AAA  Climb 
11-219  HELLESDON, nr Norwich 100              12 Nov  0    0    0
ECE01   Extended calendar Event 100km + 100km  "    "  2    0    0

What site do people use to see the minimum distance between places?

Google Maps in walking mode (not cycling mode, which goes out of its way in order to use cycling facilities).

« Reply #364 on: 07 September, 2012, 04:17:41 pm »
Ok thank you thank you all I will try and sort it out over the weekend.

« Reply #365 on: 25 September, 2012, 11:45:35 am »
Next question!

I seem to be missing a trick with these permanent events I think. Yes, there is a list on the website, but how do you know where they go? I'd like to know which ones go vaguely near my house, but it seems you can't tell until you get the routesheet as not all of them say where the controls are. Or am I missing something? There might be some that start for example in erm, Oxford/Wilts/Hants/Berks/anything with Thames in the title that come nearby but I don't know about them. Lots of them say for example 'starting in Hampshire' but nothing else, and that seems a bit vague?! Is there a section somewhere that says where they might go?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #366 on: 25 September, 2012, 03:02:18 pm »
It's a secret.

Now that you're an SRess, in November you'll be sent a leather-bound tome, featuring all the routes on gold-inlaid maps.

Don't tell any 'lesser' riders.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #367 on: 25 September, 2012, 03:09:33 pm »
Ah excellent. That will solve the problems. I await my gold inlaid maps.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #368 on: 25 September, 2012, 03:29:57 pm »
OK, serious answer; This is an ongoing problem (i remember suggesting a solution at the 2007 AGM to someone - that conversation has just come back to me ... ).

Your only hope is clever googling for ride reports, or to ask the question. Something like:
Do any nice perms start in erm, Oxford/Wilts/Hants/Berks?

I'm pretty sure this came up earlier in the year for this area, as it happens! Taste of the Test was one, there are also perm versions of some cal events you already know. I presume 200k-ish? (It helps to know active perm riders on your area, cos you can just ask them, or look at their rides lists.)
EDIT: looks like this is the one I was thinking of: http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=62090.msg1288956#msg1288956  ;D

I expect others will jump in here ...

It's a real shame we DONT have a better solution , as I'm sure it's contributed to the demise of the trad perm. [not that there's anything wrong with DIYs or even DIY-GPS, no sirreee ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Hillbilly

« Reply #369 on: 28 September, 2012, 06:35:05 pm »
Email the organiser.  Most are happy to summarise where their routes go.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #370 on: 28 September, 2012, 06:57:28 pm »
Email the organiser.  Most are happy to summarise where their routes go.
True, but which ones do you ask? Even where start points are specified, you're looking at every event within 100k (say).

The "Map of permanents" looks quite useful ... until you click on the balloon at Buckingham, and the first event is:
"200km cycling event starting from Richmond, North YorkshireNorth Yorkshire"

:facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Hillbilly

« Reply #371 on: 29 September, 2012, 12:03:37 pm »
It's like  7 degrees of kevin bacon.  A couple of times I've contacted an organiser by email or letter, asked if their ride passes by such and such.  If it doesn't they'll usually suggest one that does, or give some local knowledge.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #372 on: 07 October, 2012, 06:48:45 am »
If you start a ride before 00:00 on the last day of the season, and then go onto finnish it into the new season, which season would it qualify for?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #373 on: 07 October, 2012, 08:05:21 am »
The first.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #374 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:50:50 pm »
Even if all but one second of it was actually completed in the new season?