Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: New 7" tablet recommendations please
« Last post by lissotriton on Today at 02:08:12 am »
I replaced a Nexus 7 with a Fire Tablet (Fire 8+ 32GB 3GB 2022 12th Gen) it cost £70 new in Nov 23 in an Amazon sale.
The screen is only half the resolution of the Nexus 7.
And 32GB is a bit limiting. My current tablet (5 years old) has that and is running out of space. About 10GB will be used by the OS.
If you are doing a new install you don't need to delete any files. The installer will give you the option to delete partitions when choosing where to install, simply delete all the existing partions. Once the installer has created new partions none of the old files will be visible. Technically some of the data is still recoverable (by reading the raw device), but in normal use it has gone.

If you really want to delete stuff on an SSD then "secure erase" is probably the way to go. Booting into the UEFI BIOS may well provide a "secure erase" function. You only need this if you have some security reason for erasing the data, simply deleting the partions is likely to be sufficient in most cases.
Looking to remove all the bits of a win 10 updated from win 8 hard drive.  Don't want to clone the drive, just reinstall os on a new ssd as win11 doesn't let me view the files.

Is there a better linus to do this with?
The Pub / Re: Flights of Fancy
« Last post by JefO on Today at 12:13:32 am »
While I think of it guys, I have a load of gliders. I used to be very competitive (used to compete a lot) and have had r/c gliders of every kind I can think of, Electric launch, tow / bungee / winch launch / aerotow, discus launch, hand launch, rocket launch. Oh and some slope soarers too. Including some scale ones.

If ever you want a glider, don't buy one until you have let me know what you are after, I might have just the thing!

Jef
The Pub / Re: what I have learned today.
« Last post by The Family Cyclist on Yesterday at 11:35:27 pm »
Not today but remembered and worth sharing. If you kinda pump the toilet brush into the pan kinda like some smutty milk churn charad you can push the water out so spraying home made limescale cleaner on works better
Arts and Entertainment / Re: Great cover versions
« Last post by Pingu on Yesterday at 11:31:19 pm »
https://youtu.be/4nTo8rjo-lM?si=DnRFm1UlQlD6nL4-

Weezer's cover of "Paranoid Android" from a few years ago.  Oh, the lead guitarist's not really as good as Jonny, say Radiohead fans.  You do need to take into account that he's normally the drummer!

One of those 'what's the point?' covers and the singer is shite.
Arts and Entertainment / Re: Great cover versions
« Last post by Robh on Yesterday at 10:54:34 pm »
Random selection on my music library came up with this reggae cover of 'Compared To What' tonight, which I wasn't previously aware that I possessed. It's great!

https://youtu.be/pPucQrwfGFs?si=Xcszzgzxic05tkbb
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by JefO on Yesterday at 10:35:05 pm »
Two days clearing the garage of unwanted stuff.
Down to the tip with 4 estate car loads of it; and it is still full.
The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by perpetual dan on Yesterday at 10:29:02 pm »
Open plan office: Good for collaboration, teamwork and bouncing ideas.

Open plan office with PEOPLE WHO TALK SO LOUDLY: Bad and makes me grumpy.
Open plan quiet office, so no chatting, no calls. Splendid. Except for the extra noisy eating of lunch. I'd rather have a background chatter than him.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by barakta on Yesterday at 10:17:54 pm »
On the subject of Royal Fail. Their online buy postage system is full of dark pattern badness.

I tried 3 separate times to get "postage without collection" and it kept adding collection. Eventually Kim had to help me and said you have to let it add collection and then remove it when it is a separate item in the basket.

I did eventually get my "Kim walks it to postbox and we don't get morning doorbells" postage.

In the time it took the postage to print. I banged off a complaint to Royal Fucking Fail to say "STOP the adding collection automatically as that is clearly a breach of many many consumer rights rules and disablist" I've said I'll report them to OfCom if they don't fix it. I wouldn't have been able to get my postage if Kim hadn't told me the collect was removable.

No online trader should be shoving shit that affects your purchase or costs money in your checkout basket that you didn't explicitly add I'll die on this hill.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10