Author Topic: Coronavirus and Audax  (Read 89144 times)

rob

Re: Coronavirus and Audax
« Reply #625 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:02:32 am »
I was chatting to someone the other day who is planning to move (UK) in a few weeks time.  She said that they had had a clause inserted in the contract to provide for a delay if either party had to self-isolate.

I wonder if house moves might be delayed, en masse, though?  Hard for removal men to self-isolate.

I was pretty close to exchanging.  Our solicitor recommended keeping the gap between exchange and completion short or same day and not to add clauses.  But, we’re moving into rented and haven’t even looked yet, so everything is on hold.   Of course we should have been done by the end of Jan, but the average house buyer lies through their teeth at every point in the process.

This may work in our favour as if the delay is long enough and the buyer still goes through then we may only have to move once.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #626 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:12:23 am »
The Scottish Land Registry is closed.
It is simpler than it looks.

guidon

• formerly known as cyclone
« Reply #627 on: 27 March, 2020, 08:40:02 am »
Re France ; artisans, self employed argicultural workers, delivery drivers even cycle couriers all can't work on the computer.... Removals in France are only really busy over the summer months so little demand at the moment, especially now that the government has extended the ban on expelling poor tenants....As I type the Fr prime minister is on live tv thanking the truckers for keeping the country moving....(but the wave is hitting: over 360 dead in the past 24hrs)....

« Reply #628 on: 27 March, 2020, 01:43:49 pm »
Royal Parks have closed Richmond Park to cyclists as they weren't following social distancing rules. It had been closed to cars last week.

(Key workers can cycle commute through, they just need to talk to the Police that will now be required to man the gates.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #629 on: 27 March, 2020, 02:38:29 pm »
Royal Parks have closed Richmond Park to cyclists as they weren't following social distancing rules. It had been closed to cars last week.

(Key workers can cycle commute through, they just need to talk to the Police that will now be required to man the gates.)

A sign of things to come I fear.

Out and about in the Chilterns these last few days and people seem to be playing nice. Its great to go up my favourite hills without worrying about the usual speeding maniacs who normally materialise when I'm fully clipped in and struggling!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #630 on: 27 March, 2020, 04:14:06 pm »
The Lake District is closed as well, I understand - anyone trying to drive there will be turned back. Fortunately for my brother and his family, they already live inside the boundaries of the Lake District, so they'll probably have their* mountain all to themselves again this weekend.

*the one at the bottom of their garden
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #631 on: 27 March, 2020, 04:44:52 pm »

The problem was that the pedestrian / cycle gates were such a pinch point that social distancing wasn’t feasible, rather than “they weren’t following social distancing rules”. The Royal Parks and the council are currently in dialogue to see if the pinch point problem can be alleviated in some way so that the park can be re-opened to cyclists next week.
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #632 on: 27 March, 2020, 06:46:50 pm »
Ah, interesting, although I believe it's the sheer number of cyclists that are trying to get through the pedestrian gates and not following social distancing protocols that is the main contribution to the problem.

Temporary (movable - since a few people live inside the park and need very occasional access) bollards to prevent cars using the gates would hopefully still allow cyclists and pedestrians to flow through.

« Reply #633 on: 27 March, 2020, 06:54:26 pm »

Not surprised. I commute past the north end of Priory Lane, and the number of roadies heading to and from the park yesterday afternoon and this morning (at 6.30) did make me wonder what it was like in the park.

Plus they gob all the time.

« Reply #634 on: 27 March, 2020, 07:02:45 pm »
Ah, interesting, although I believe it's the sheer number of cyclists that are trying to get through the pedestrian gates and not following social distancing protocols that is the main contribution to the problem.

Temporary (movable - since a few people live inside the park and need very occasional access) bollards to prevent cars using the gates would hopefully still allow cyclists and pedestrians to flow through.

One of the few heartening things over the last week has been watching the large number of parents with young children cycling in RP, and a massive contributor to this must surely be the lack of cars - much though I wish it were otherwise I can’t believe most of those parents will continue to ride with their children on the open road now that the park’s shut.

Here’s hoping that the council and the Royal Parks find a solution, even if only for weekdays.
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #635 on: 27 March, 2020, 07:04:47 pm »
Here’s hoping that the council and the Royal Parks find a solution, even if only for weekdays.

Agreed.

The wildlife must be loving it.

Phil W

« Reply #636 on: 27 March, 2020, 07:36:37 pm »
I’m seeing a lot of people out exercising cycling or walking who clearly aren’t used to it. If the lockdown is long enough it may become a habit and something positive comes out of it.

« Reply #637 on: 27 March, 2020, 07:51:44 pm »
One of my neighbours goes to the gym a lot but is now adjusting to exercising outdoors.

They're relatively fit but they find it so much different to the static environment of a gym. Running outdoors for example, so much more you need to concentrate on rather than just pounding away on a treadmill.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #638 on: 27 March, 2020, 07:55:14 pm »
I’m seeing a lot of people out exercising cycling or walking who clearly aren’t used to it. If the lockdown is long enough it may become a habit and something positive comes out of it.
Yes, that's the impression I'm getting. Normally calling people newbies or "not used to it" would be jumped on as incredibly judgemental, but hopefully in this case it's all positive!

It's very difficult to judge the runners and walkers, but I think by now that I can judge a ... less frequent cyclist when I see one. I met a guy a couple of morning ago who was pretty bloody nervous just slowing down to pass me (on a wide-ish Sustrans route); i was a little afear for his chances of negotiating the twisty, begravelled, low roofed tunnel that awaited a few minutes on.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #639 on: 27 March, 2020, 08:44:14 pm »
Looking at the bbc news website just now....
Cyclists behave or lose the right to cycle, unbelievable cyclist still riding in groups!!!!!

Which just proves what a club mate told me 20 odd years ago " your average cyclist is not very bright"

« Reply #640 on: 27 March, 2020, 09:13:38 pm »
For me it has become simple. I am allowed one outing/day, 1 hour max and 1km radius from home. Taking the dog for its walk each night fills all those options so that's it! Only cycling to be turbo. Fortunately I am able to work again; they've eased the restrictions on gardening as even Covid-19 doesn't stop the grass growing in various elderly widows' gardens. So that's a bit of exercise pushing the lawnmower (took the transmission off mine).

The latest version of the attestation for going out requires the time of sortie as well as the date so that the police can control what you're doing, not that I've ever been checked walking the dog!

Incidentally nothing stops the dog going out for as many times in the day as there are people to take her out. Lucky beast  ;) 

« Reply #641 on: 28 March, 2020, 06:10:46 pm »
I am starting to do videos of walking round the village for those not even allowed out.  It may be that nobody will watch them but it gave me an excuse to buy a gimbal.  That is my one hour exercise.  Therefore cycling is indoors and or the cycle to the hospital when working.

Wal

« Reply #642 on: 14 April, 2020, 08:29:02 am »
Don't know if this link has been posted in the previous discussions yet, but, looks like a genuine and helpful study...

https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08

[url]https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08/url]

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #643 on: 14 April, 2020, 08:40:45 am »
Don't know if this link has been posted in the previous discussions yet, but, looks like a genuine and helpful study...

https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08

[url]https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08/url]
it isn't a study.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a32097735/coronavirus-viral-simulation/
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #644 on: 14 April, 2020, 12:34:02 pm »

it isn't a study.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a32097735/coronavirus-viral-simulation/

Yes it is a study. See http://www.urbanphysics.net/COVID19_Aero_Paper.pdf  And Professor Blocken (not just Bart Blocken Ph.D), prof at 2 very reputable universities, the main author, is an academic with over 14000 citations, Stephen Ferguson, whose knowledge was sought by bicycling.com has, stopped being a practising CFD engineer in 2003. I know whose opinion I would value more.
It's findings are pretty common sense if you ask me. If you are moving you will leave a trail of particles behind you that exceed 2m and the study says what the sensible gaps are for running.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

bludger

« Reply #645 on: 14 April, 2020, 03:57:43 pm »
Still a preprint and still not passed double blind peer review as far as I can see.

This isn't to say it is "wrong" but the fact that this is getting bigged up as a published study that everyone must take notice of when it isn't is wearying.

In the FAQ they published about the white paper they specifically say it shouldn't effect guidelines etc in any way.
https://www.tue.nl/en/tue-campus/tue-innovation-space/tue-against-covid-19/social-distancing-20/

My favourite bit if this document which the likes of Chris froome are electing to ignore is ..

Question 17: Should people not decide to stop exercising outside?   
No. The crisis is very large and mental and physical health are important and walking, running and cycling
do contribute to both mental and physical health. Our study is intended to indicate how social distancing
should be done in those situations.  From the beginning, the World Health Organization WHO and the
CDC have recommended to keep a distance of at least 1 m or 2 m, acknowledging that this is not always
possible especially in public transportation. We are obviously not these prestigious organizations but we
are providing recommendations using reliable results to minimize the risk of contamination
acknowledging that they cannot always been followed.   
‐‐‐ END OF DOCUMENT ‐‐‐

Ban cars.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #646 on: 14 April, 2020, 07:12:14 pm »
Leaving aside debates about the science, I think this is terrible english to use in a public doc:

"Should people not decide to stop?" It's a bizarre double-negative; a vernacular style that i can understand when people use in person, but really isn't helpful to clear written communication. Hrrmph.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Davef

Coronavirus and Audax
« Reply #647 on: 15 April, 2020, 07:22:02 am »
The problem is that even if correct it will be misinterpreted. Basically it is saying don’t ride or run as a group slipstreaming, go side by side. You are not allowed to ride as a group anyway. The public will read headlines like “2m not sufficient social distancing for runners and cyclists” and think runners and cyclists need greater clearance and can more easily spread to pedestrians. If anything, if this study is true, then it is the opposite, the droplets are constrained to a narrow but longer area pulled along in the slipstream following the runner or cyclist, where a pedestrian cannot be unless they have just been run over or had a very close pass.

So if it is true, assuming you are following the rules on group exercise - no slipstreaming, then the takeaway is :-

When shopping it is occasionally necessary to pass in an aisle within 2m. The is safest done running as it will narrow your droplet cloud and suck it along behind you protecting the other shopper. If other shoppers are selfishly walking or worse standing still, producing omnidirectional 2m droplet clouds, hold your breath whilst running by and only shout at them to point out their selfishness once safety has been reached. This would also reduce the total time shopping and queuing to get in.  supermarkets, please introduce minimum speed limits.

Don’t be selfish - keep your droplet clouds narrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Davef

« Reply #648 on: 15 April, 2020, 07:46:22 am »
Regarding exercise at the moment, moderate exercise improves the immune system, so you are less likely to catch covid-19. If you do, better lung function correlates with a better outcome. Also the virus seems to be worse (relative to other influenza like viruses) if you are overweight, male or from an ethnic minority. The first of these 3 is the only one that can be easily adjusted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bludger

« Reply #649 on: 15 April, 2020, 08:05:35 am »
The problem is that even if correct it will be misinterpreted. Basically it is saying don’t ride or run as a group slipstreaming, go side by side. You are not allowed to ride as a group anyway. The public will read headlines like “2m not sufficient social distancing for runners and cyclists” and think runners and cyclists need greater clearance and can more easily spread to pedestrians.
Exactly. Whole bunch of clever and educated people out there who don't model how what they put out will be misinterpreted and/or weaponised.

Part of my job is telling clever people with all kinds of alphabet soup after their names why publishing certain things in a certain way is a bad idea. Unfortunately everyone thinks they're a good communicator so even having years of experience and qualifications on the subject....

Ban cars.