Author Topic: Big Sur  (Read 4989 times)

Big Sur
« on: 02 March, 2021, 04:26:13 pm »
Anyone else using this and not finding it as errr... as good as Catalina?
I have to confess to being pleased that I still have a recent machine which is still running Catalina.
Big Sur is a bit disappoints IMHO.

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Big Sur
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2021, 04:31:11 pm »
Anyone else using this and not finding it as errr... as good as Catalina?
I have to confess to being pleased that I still have a recent machine which is still running Catalina.
Big Sur is a bit disappoints IMHO.
I shall refrain from the temptation to do the update then.  :)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2021, 04:33:39 pm »
I bit the bullet some weeks ago. I felt that the look changes were more dramatic than the under the hood stuff, as Catalina dumped my 32bit software and I have to run it in Mojave in Parallels.

It does take a while to get used to the changes, but it is also informative to go back to older versions of OSX and see how much change there has been since the beginning.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2021, 04:39:40 pm »
I have on my computers, not done the work Macbook yet because the VPN always breaks, though it just clicked up to AnyConnect 4.9, so it might be alright.

I quite like it. I'm not sure there were any massive changes on the surface, it's mostly minor and cosmetic.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2021, 04:43:15 pm »
I've upgraded to Big Sur on my Macbook, and it seems to be fine for everything I use that machine for.

I'm not upgrading my work iMac* though, for the simple reason that I need to be able to use Indesign 2019 for work, and Big Sur only supports the current (2021) release.

From what I've heard, this is a common problem - so don't upgrade if you're relying on using an older version of any software without checking first that it will still run.

*It's actually my own iMac, which I'm using for work while WFH. In theory, I could do what I like with it and insist that work supply me with a machine with a suitable spec to do my job, but that would be more hassle than it's worth. I don't have any pressing need to upgrade to Big Sur on this machine, so it's not a problem.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2021, 04:43:41 pm »
Maybe it isn't best suited to a 2015 iMac.
On the basis of which I'm bolloxed if I'm installing it on my year old MacBook Air.
ETA - I find it significantly slower than Catalina - as above -  it may be something to do with running it on a 2015 machine.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2021, 05:27:52 pm »
D has Big Sur on his upstairs iMac.
It seems S-L-O-W.
As others have posted some software is not supported.
We run various other old OS on or our numerous Macs.
I'm still on Mohave; he has Catalina on some etc...

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7 on: 02 March, 2021, 05:30:41 pm »
I went Big Sur from Catalina, January on a 2017 iMac. Fortunately no problems that I'm aware of, given my limited use and knowledge.

'Things' did seem racier (non technical term) than Catalina, initially

(the only thing so far that pisses me off, is the new start up screen after re-powering, with the vile coloured 1970s oil lamp, but still, vibe)

ian

« Reply #8 on: 02 March, 2021, 05:35:00 pm »
I can't say it's any slower on my iMac (late 2015), seems as fast as a fast thing that's in the hurry to be somewhere important. I'm a bit disappointed as I wanted an excuse to buy a newer one (I only realised the other day that it was so old, I bought a pair of them when we moved into The Asbestos Palace, which also doesn't seem seven years ago – that said, the Mac it replaced was probably six years old, so I'm not exactly surfing the wave of technology).

Other than a few cosmetic changes (rounded corners, it's like they never went away, but I'm big fan of rounded corners) and a few dibs to the colour palette, and some new desktops, it's mostly a bit of a muchness. I've never had an issue with the upgrades (other than the mothership VPN issue, unfortunately, the main tool I use for my job can only be accessed via the VPN), they seem generally incremental improved. I'm sure they do stuff under the hood that I'm not cognizant of, but I've worked hard to be this ignorant.

« Reply #9 on: 02 March, 2021, 05:43:26 pm »
Indistinguishable perfomance-wise from Catalina or anything that went before it in my experience (2015 MacBook Air w/ 8GB RAM).

Also a lot of software I expected to be lost still works.

« Reply #10 on: 02 March, 2021, 05:55:59 pm »
My understanding is that it is the machines with a 64 bit processor rather than an operating system that make the 32 bit apps obsolete - or have I got that wrong?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #11 on: 02 March, 2021, 05:59:24 pm »
It's the OS that makes the final change, Catalina and onwards...

« Reply #12 on: 02 March, 2021, 06:09:14 pm »
It's the OS that makes the final change, Catalina and onwards...
Ah! I see.

ian

« Reply #13 on: 02 March, 2021, 06:10:07 pm »
Yes, Catalina should have generally bleated 'don't do it, guv' if it detected you using anything 32-bitty.

Adobe stuff just doesn't work because it's Adobe stuff.

I'm happy with it, it's mostly the annual minor rejig. I like the new dynamic desktops. That's about my favourite thing. Plus I've been to Big Sur (and visited the sea otters at the nearby Monterey Aquarium, the gift shop of which is where the otter who sits by my computer comes from, and his name is Rick).

« Reply #14 on: 02 March, 2021, 06:11:22 pm »
My understanding is that it is the machines with a 64 bit processor rather than an operating system that make the 32 bit apps obsolete - or have I got that wrong?

All 64 bit Intel Macs can run 32 bit binaries.

Big Sur killed off 32 bit binary support. In Catalina you'll get a warning about the app needing to be updated every time you run it.

(Anything from Core 2 Duo onwards is a 64 bit Mac, which covers all but the very earliest generation Core Solo/Duo Intel Macs. If they'd been able to wait another year we might have been able to go straight to 64 bit)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #15 on: 02 March, 2021, 07:34:46 pm »

All 64 bit Intel Macs can run 32 bit binaries.

CatalinaBig Sur killed off 32 bit binary support. In MojaveCatalina you'll get a warning about the app needing to be updated every time you run it.

FTFY

ian

« Reply #16 on: 02 March, 2021, 07:44:22 pm »
Adobe stuff just doesn't work because it's Adobe stuff.

This is sad as I started on Macs in the mid '80s when Adobe and Apple were both developing at a rapid rate and there was a synergy between these two companies and their offerings.

They just do their quirky non-standard Mac (and probably Windows) applications, strange annual versioning with curious lack of back-compatibility etc. I wouldn't mind if the apps were great, but these days they're mostly bloated and expensive and rely on the fact that they're industry standard and there's a large ecosystem of users.

They still work fine enough but I wouldn't pay for them unless I was a professional user (I have a work subscription which to be honest I don't need and couldn't justify in my current role, but no one has asked me about it).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 02 March, 2021, 08:43:14 pm »
D is Not Happy.
Was in a Brent Cyclists' Zoom meeting.
Had multiple windows open at the same time.
iMac crashed. Pointer froze. Nothing responded.
iMac has now restarted.
Has taken 10 minutes to get everything going again.
D is Not Happy.

« Reply #18 on: 02 March, 2021, 08:50:00 pm »
D is Not Happy.
Was in a Brent Cyclists' Zoom meeting.
Had multiple windows open at the same time.
iMac crashed. Pointer froze. Nothing responded.
iMac has now restarted.
Has taken 10 minutes to get everything going again.
D is Not Happy.
That may be a Zoom thing - rather than a Mac thing.

ian

« Reply #19 on: 02 March, 2021, 08:59:57 pm »
Indeed, I don't think you can reasonably blame a computer or OS for a software crash. I do a Zoom thing with a large and motley group of acquaintances and have never had an issue.

« Reply #20 on: 02 March, 2021, 09:08:40 pm »
No program should be able to make the pointer freeze. That's an OS fault.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21 on: 02 March, 2021, 09:12:24 pm »
I've not had a crash during Zoom.
D's had a lot of crashes with Big Sur, of which this is the latest.

We've Zoomed from multiple computers here. D's in his study on his iMac, which seems to crash rather frequently. He DOES run LOTS simultaneously and is preparing an astro talk at the moment.

I've Zoomed from my MacBook Air in the kitchen.

D has Zoomed piano meets from the lounge and astro talks from the shed...

ian

« Reply #22 on: 02 March, 2021, 09:21:49 pm »
No program should be able to make the pointer freeze. That's an OS fault.

True enough, but I was assuming the browser crashed rather than a system freeze. The most severe issue I have with modern Macs is a very occasional need to force quit and application. It's been a while since I've seen a proper old skool kernel panic. I assume even Windows doesn't blue screen as often. I'm almost nostalgic for proper crashes rather than managed destabilization.

Anyway, I've had no issues with Big Sur but any upgrade might break something, modern software is complicated. A fact that I'm now painfully aware of, as it's part of my day job. I got an angry Russian write to me the other day. They have colourful idioms, I'm not sure Google translate really did it justice.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 02 March, 2021, 09:27:54 pm »
I think Microsoft have compensated for the reduced Blue Screen Of Death rate with the Blue Screen Of Badly-timed Updates.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #24 on: 02 March, 2021, 09:33:39 pm »
I updated quite a while back on a 2014 Mac Mini.

The only thing I have noticed is that sometimes, and inconsistently, finder fails to display sub-folders when reading SD cards.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.