Author Topic: TV has problems with our wifi network  (Read 1461 times)

TV has problems with our wifi network
« on: 09 March, 2021, 07:00:00 pm »
I've tried reading through the threads on mesh systems and power line extenders and have ended up more confused than I was before I started, hence the new thread.

Our Toshiba smart telly has problems finding our wifi networks. When it's being reset, all of next doors seemingly innumerable networks appear (and possibly some from next-door but one as well) but our two come and go. It took us three goes to get the password into the telly the last time we had to reconnect.
None of the other bits of kit in that part of the house seem to have a problem.
So I was thinking about something to boost or extend the signal. It would only need to be for the telly. What are the budget options? Forking out ~£150 seems excessive for what we need.

Thanks
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: TV has problems with our wifi network
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2021, 07:01:48 pm »
Have you got access control on your router? Several things of ours won't work when we have it on.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2 on: 09 March, 2021, 07:06:07 pm »
Cheapest would be a pair of power line adaptors (one connected to the router by Ethernet, another on the tv power socket) and an Ethernet cable to the tv. I happen to have a couple of TP Link I used for just that (a pass-through adaptor so you can still use the socket too) if you’re interested. Not sure on pricing, maybe £30 posted.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 09 March, 2021, 07:17:28 pm »
Cheapest would be a pair of power line adaptors (one connected to the router by Ethernet, another on the tv power socket) and an Ethernet cable to the tv. I happen to have a couple of TP Link I used for just that (a pass-through adaptor so you can still use the socket too) if you’re interested. Not sure on pricing, maybe £30 posted.
That would be very kind. I will DM you.

« Reply #4 on: 10 March, 2021, 10:11:33 am »
Might be worth just changing the channel your wifi hub uses to see if there's any improvement.  Nothing to lose.

Edit: Why did I bother ?

« Reply #5 on: 10 March, 2021, 10:20:28 am »
Very early on I realised that wifi was less than ideal for our TV when we bought it in December 2019.  The unsightly but practical cable still runs around the skirting of two rooms and through a doorway but I have recently bought a tp-link powerline kit and will be giving that a try at some point soon enabling me to remove the cable if all goes to plan.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2021, 11:31:31 am »
Wifi is always second best to a cable. If you can run a cable, it's the best option.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2021, 02:00:07 pm »
Wifi is always second best to a cable. If you can run a cable, it's the best option.
Opposite sides of the house, I'm afraid. And there is no other sensible place to put the router.
I have a couple of power line adapters coming courtesy of rafletcher so we will see if that helps.
(Of course, the whole thing has been completely stable since I posted the original message...)

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #8 on: 13 March, 2021, 12:33:15 pm »

Opposite sides of the house, I'm afraid.

That's more than likely the cause of the Wifi issue too :(

The power line adapters are a good solution, as long as you're not a radio HAM :)
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #9 on: 13 March, 2021, 10:37:12 pm »

The power line adapters are a good solution, as long as you're not a radio HAM :)
I've recently brought my amateur radio licence back from the grave and invested in a new transceiver, and /shock! horror! \ my power line adapters don't seem to give me any of the much talked about horrors*.
I suspect there's so much background RF crap that powerline stuffs are minimal in the grand scheme of things.

*between 50mHz & 5mHz
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #10 on: 13 March, 2021, 10:43:46 pm »

*between 50mHz & 5mHz
I hope you mean MHz and not mHz
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #11 on: 14 March, 2021, 07:23:56 am »

*between 50mHz & 5mHz
I hope you mean MHz and not mHz
I ought to do the right thing and stick to metres.
(and stop typing on my phone with it's autocorrupt function)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.