General Category > Audax

Gospel Pass - 600km from stevenage

<< < (6/6)

pineapple bod:

--- Quote from: sparklyfish on 23 March, 2024, 08:26:11 am ---Will be pleased to hear of anyone stopping at Tewkesbury Hilton, the thought of that has tickled me!

--- End quote ---
I've taken bikes to Hiltons (Reading and Bournemouth), and they are generally fine about it, if a bit bemused.  Only once I was asked to put it in the luggage store rather than taking it to bed  :)

Wycombewheeler:

--- Quote from: sparklyfish on 23 March, 2024, 08:26:11 am ---Bit concerned about that meaning a longer day two than preferable, but staying in Hereford should mean getting sleep during the bit of the night when I know I'm most glad of sleep - then up and out with the larks, lovely.

Will be pleased to hear of anyone stopping at Tewkesbury Hilton, the thought of that has tickled me!

--- End quote ---
I recorded 275km to the finish from Hereford last year, which did feel quite long for day 2. But I prefer to stop before I get too tired, as riding in the dark while tired tends to be slower, leading to less sleep. I set off at sunrise (05:15) and finished with nearly two hours in hand in the daylight, despite needing a short nap as it was warm and I felt drowsy. So IMO that was preferable to pushing on until 3am before checking in at Hereford.

sparklyfish:
Thanks WW, that roughly what I was thinking - minimise on slow overnight by being asleep, afternoon nap in the sun, nice. I've been on the RRTY train for five years, but only did my first 600 last year - so lots to learn!

Lightning Phil:
It’s not BRM this year and as a result you’ll get roughly an extra 50 mins time limit to finish, compared to last year. 

Wycombewheeler:

--- Quote from: Lightning Phil on 27 March, 2024, 08:47:46 pm ---It’s not BRM this year and as a result you’ll get roughly an extra 50 mins time limit to finish, compared to last year.

--- End quote ---
I've always felt that the only time deadline that counts on a 600km ride is the first one after the sleep stop. (except on Brimstone when they all counted) Get to the first stop after sleeping in time (and having had a reasonable sleep) and everything after that is not a problem. Ride at 20km an hour, 4 hours are allowed to cover 60km, but it only takes 3,  stop for half an hour to eat - result 30 minutes gained every 60km

420km control - 15 minutes in hand
480km 45 minutes in hand
540km 75 minutes in hand
600km 105 minutes

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version