General Category > Audax

Steady lights on on calendar events - resolution for AUK AGM

<< < (2/11) > >>

John Stonebridge:
As somebody whose vision is affected by this issue I find that disappointing.

It will mean fewer calendar events for me, soon enough anything above 200 will pretty much have to be a DIY. 

Also makes me way less likely to organise events in future

All so that some flash Harry can have their preferred rear light setting. 

Hot dog 

Adam:
I don't know if this is still the case, but when I was involved with the FNRttC (Friday Night to the Coast) rides, in the safety briefing before we set off, there would always be a statement about not using flashing lights on the ride.  Bearing in mind we would regularly get 50+ riders, that could be VERY annoying seeing as there'd be large groups riding together.

If someone was subsequently found to be flashing, I, or someone else, would ask them to switch to steady.  I remember on one occasion, someone only had a basic flashing only light so I gave them a spare one of mine.

So organisers should really push the message that flashers aren't appreciated.

Hot Flatus:
Apart from anything else, flashing lights are unnecessary if riding in a group.

However I agree with Feanor. I think the decision not to ban is correct. Lots of audax riding is done on one's own and people should be free to ride as they feel because safety, not inconvenience, is paramount. But I'd agree that it ought to be stressed that if you choose to ride in a group it is inconsiderate to remain on flash. It ought be be within the culture that a polite request to change flash mode to static is usual. No need to be rude or aggressive and labelling people "shits". You don't know what their motivations are. There are plenty of audax riders who are quite oblivious. That doesn't make them "shits".

On flashing lights in general, I'd say this. If they are distracting then good. It is their purpose to distract drivers away from what else is distracting them and focus them on me.

I ride a lot of hours, and it's rare for me to have a commute where at least one builder's van doesn't pass me with weed smoke wafting out, or seeing many drivers looking down at mobiles. I want them distracted back to me.

AFAIK the majority of accidents involving bikes occur at junctions, where visibility is key. It's not good enough for people to say "drivers should look out for cyclists", because even though they should, they don't.

arabella:

--- Quote from: Hot Flatus on 22 March, 2024, 07:02:45 am ---Apart from anything else, flashing lights are unnecessary if riding in a group.

--- End quote ---
That was the point of the resolution - ECE and DIY were excluded.  Group == calendar event.  Admittedly well strung out in some cases but also yo-yoing.

--- Quote ---On flashing lights in general, I'd say this. If they are distracting then good. It is their purpose to distract drivers away from what else is distracting them and focus them on me.

--- End quote ---
You do realise that the distracting also applies to your fellow cyclists?  Which isn't good.

LittleWheelsandBig:
Given the number of audaxers during brevets who refuse to swap to steady lights when asked and expect to be instantly squashed by motor vehicles without their blindingly flashing lights despite the other cyclists around them, ‘shits’ is a fair description.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version