Author Topic: Endurance cycling benefits immune system of ageing  (Read 1722 times)

Endurance cycling benefits immune system of ageing
« on: 24 April, 2020, 09:39:02 pm »
A few of us took part in Norman Lazarus' research at Kings a few years ago, and one of the findings was that, apart from overall improvement of general fitness compared to the demographic (no surprise there), he specifically identified a much more robust immune system in elderly audaxers, equivalent to those in their 20's.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43308729

On re-reading this the other day I got to wondering if this could somehow be followed up in relation to the infection/recovery rate from Covid 19?  It would seem to be the perfect opportunity.  Does anyone know how to contact him or his colleagues with this suggestion?
The sound of one pannier flapping

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: Endurance cycling benefits immune system of ageing
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2020, 10:07:15 am »
I did, but got no reply last time I contacted them.
They're only interested in men, anyhow.  Not like there isn't a massive data gap or anything (or that the PPE even in the NHS is apparently men-sized) (can you tell I'm grumpy).
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2020, 05:19:33 pm »
His email address at Kings? They are listed on the Kings website

« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2020, 05:53:47 pm »
His email address at Kings? They are listed on the Kings website

I've spent quite a while trawling through the KCL website and can't find a contact email for Prof. Lazarus.  In the end I emailed Caroline Jolley, who conducted the actual test (on me anyway).  I'm hoping to hear back - if she's still at KCL!
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2020, 07:54:17 pm »
They are all on one page and you’re right, no email for him on the contact page, even though he is listed. You could also try Stephen Harris head of the department

« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2020, 11:00:21 pm »
The old curmudgeon is pretty ancient now.  Possibly properly retired.

« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2020, 07:33:41 am »
The old curmudgeon is pretty ancient now.  Possibly properly retired.

Actually, I’m quite surprised that Dr Lazarus is t coming back for more;)