Author Topic: (n-1)+1 has arrived  (Read 5420 times)

inc

Re: (n-1)+1 has arrived
« Reply #25 on: 30 January, 2009, 04:50:27 pm »
This is a mudguard bike I built last week, it looks somewhere around the same size as yours but with a better (imo) proportioned headtube length. Not a Hewett though just a cheap £160 Ridley frame although it rides really nice. It cost me more to build the wheels.

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #26 on: 30 January, 2009, 05:07:02 pm »
Yes, the steerer will be chopped at some point. 

You probably already know this, but pipe cutters do the job very well. If I could be arsed I would link to the thread where this was discussed.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27 on: 30 January, 2009, 05:25:41 pm »
On a £1000 bike, I'll pay the LBS to do it  :)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #28 on: 30 January, 2009, 06:36:44 pm »
Ahead stems are ugly and unadjustable.  Yuk.  If ever there was a solution to a problem that didn't exist....

Absolutely.

And don't get me started on integrated headsets and, more recently, press-fit bottom bracket cups. Grrrr!

« Reply #29 on: 30 January, 2009, 06:45:40 pm »
for changing bars, swapping stems etc - Ahead is miles easier. 

Is sir aware of the latest contribution to civilisation - the front-loading quill stem?

<Edit>

And there's always the quill to ahead converter option. 

I do like headsets that don't spill half your bike on the workshop floor when you take the stem off..

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #30 on: 31 January, 2009, 07:21:33 am »
Can you actually find one of those Salsa quills in the UK?  I tried, and failed, a couple of years ago.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #31 on: 01 February, 2009, 11:11:40 am »
Nope.  I looked for one for my last threaded steerer project last year and ended up buying a converter instead! 

Really Ancien

« Reply #32 on: 01 February, 2009, 09:06:31 pm »
Has anyone here had the joy of trying to get a siezed quill stem out of a threaded fork, or adjusted one so that it splits the steerer at the threads, I've done both. I've also adjusted an ahead stem up by an inch during a ride, (LEL 2001) I've never cut my steerer down.
But then again my bikes never get photographed.

Damon.