Author Topic: "Congestion" charging for the New Forest?  (Read 2592 times)

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
"Congestion" charging for the New Forest?
« on: 26 September, 2008, 11:34:32 am »
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article4828288.ece

I read this article this morning. What a superb idea! It would hugely reduce the traffic throughput in the Forest and make it much safer and more enjoyable for cyclists and walkers.

I'm tempted to find out when the consultation is happening so that we can put in a few words for cyclists.
Owner of a languishing Langster

clarion

• Tyke
Re: "Congestion" charging for the New Forest?
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2008, 11:48:03 am »
What a good idea.  Now for the Peak District (well served by public transport & easy to get to by bike.  Hell, I even walked there from a major city)
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2008, 02:39:01 pm »
It would make the New Forest into an absolutely perfect place for family cycling. 

Couldn't they just make the gaps on all the Cattle-grids the same as a car tyre?

« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2008, 10:55:41 am »
It might reduce the number of accidents there as well.

About 15 years ago we were narrowly missed by a rolling car that had swerved to avoid a pony on the road. The Police said that they get called out to incidents like that on a weekly basis.

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 29 September, 2008, 03:34:24 pm »
It might reduce the number of accidents there as well.

About 15 years ago we were narrowly missed by a rolling car that had swerved to avoid a pony on the road. The Police said that they get called out to incidents like that on a weekly basis.

I was narrolwy missed by a car in XXXXXXX.

Where XXXXXXX = any time I ever ride through the New Forest

« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2008, 05:55:19 pm »
this is just another tax on the motorist >:( I ride through the new forest at least once a month and the traffic is not too bad, I’m sorry I’m against it

« Reply #6 on: 29 September, 2008, 08:09:55 pm »
this is just another tax on the motorist >:( I ride through the new forest at least once a month and the traffic is not too bad, I’m sorry I’m against it

I ride through the Forest at least once a month too.
This can only be good - the traffic levels are horrendous.
I'm totally in favour.
The Lymington - Brockenhurst road can be quite scary at times, while Brockenhurst itself is virtual gridlock in Summer months with vehicles regularly mounting pavements to pass.
The northern parts are not so bad if you avoid Lyndhurst.
As for the Totton/Fawley road - if trying to cross/join it, you may as well take a good book to read.

PS - my inlaws live in Hythe.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #7 on: 29 September, 2008, 08:23:35 pm »
I hardly ever go to the Forest (unless sailing to Lymington counts) but I'm right there supporting the charge. You can't tax motoring highly enough, IMO.

« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2008, 09:54:43 pm »
With so many forest roads blighted by traffic in the holiday season, it's a very good idea in principle ... but I'm not sure it's really practical.

What if say you ban cars from the ornamental drives. There would be a parking bottleneck at Bolderwood and Brock i.e. at each end, instead of cars being scattered at the numerous little car parks along the way. Exclude or discourage cars from the whole forest and all the area round the edge will be a nightmare!

The idea also seems to ignore the fact that the forest is not a theme park, it is a living, working place like any other. Off the top of my head I cannot think of a single forest road that doesn't have at least one house on it. Will the friends/family/visitors/suppliers of these residents all be barred and/or taxed? How is that going to work or be fair?

Furthermore this kind of tax is surely going to discourage those with low incomes but will hardly register on those 'problem drivers', for instance the ones with the large expensive 4x4s that ooze aggression to other road users.

Unless we change national attitudes towards alternative forms of transport then Mr. & Mrs. Tourist are going to arrive in their car. If they don't come to the forest then the multitude of businesses for which they are the bread & butter will suffer.

I'm all for it in principle, I just don't think it would work.  :-\
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

« Reply #9 on: 29 September, 2008, 10:04:42 pm »
With so many forest roads blighted by traffic in the holiday season, it's a very good idea in principle ... but I'm not sure it's really practical.

I'm all for it in principle, I just don't think it would work.  :-\

I think you could apply all those comments and 'objectons' to London too.

And that seems to work.

« Reply #10 on: 30 September, 2008, 08:23:00 am »
I think you could apply all those comments and 'objectons' to London too...

I don't think that's really a practical comparison.

London has a good enough system of public transport to provide alternatives, whereas the forest at present does not.

« Reply #11 on: 30 September, 2008, 09:40:58 am »
Once they start charging the motorist and making a profit, when will see a charge for cyclists this will be  thin end of the wedge this is not a green issue it’s a TAX >:(

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #12 on: 30 September, 2008, 12:38:09 pm »
Going back to what some people have said about this being impractical.  I do think this would require a lot of planning and investment to make it a success. Yes, the forest is a working entity,  but the majority of the traffic in summer months is simply people driving around looking at trees.

In my view a plan which gave New Forest residents free access to the toll roads, provided additional large car parks on the outskirts with attractive park and ride schemes to the nearest beauty spots combined with investment in routes that bypass the forest could make this work effectively. It just requires some sensible planning. Very few people really NEED to drive around the Forest.

More TAX for motorists? YES! Bring it on! I'm a motorist too, but  I would be quite happy for any future government to raise taxes on fossil fuel users BUT this needs to be coupled with corresponding reductions in income (or some other environment neutral) tax.
Owner of a languishing Langster

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13 on: 30 September, 2008, 12:52:07 pm »
Once they start charging the motorist and making a profit, when will see a charge for cyclists this will be  thin end of the wedge this is not a green issue it’s a TAX >:(

True, if you assume that people will still want to visit the forest as before (its size, the lack of public transport and the amount of luggage a family takes on holiday making cars the only viable method).

False, if people are just using the forest as a rat-run, but I don't know if that is true.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pete

« Reply #14 on: 30 September, 2008, 01:20:30 pm »
Where next?  Ashdown Forest and Surrey Hills - both sort of mini New-Forest-lookalikes in their way - spring to mind.  In both areas access by car is pretty easy and free car-parking is plentiful - certainly Ashdown Forest gets pretty busy at times with the A22, A26 and A275 running through it.  It already has a 40mph speed limit throughout the AONB, but plenty of boy-racers!

Even though we often visit these areas by car (especially in mushroom season!), I personally would welcome some sort of control.

From a cycling perspective, both these areas have some famous climbs - which the New Forest I think lacks, being fairly flat terrain.

« Reply #15 on: 01 October, 2008, 08:30:44 am »
From a cycling perspective, both these areas have some famous climbs - which the New Forest I think lacks, being fairly flat terrain.

Pah - flat?! Only on Sunday I climbed a 25% hill in the New Forest!

OK it's mostly flat.