Author Topic: Knocked off - tell me what I need to do  (Read 41349 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Knocked off - tell me what I need to do
« Reply #150 on: 10 October, 2018, 01:11:47 pm »
No, haven't got the heart for it.

:(
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #151 on: 16 October, 2018, 11:02:51 am »
Just been reading through this, sorry to hear you're still having problems.

I can relate to feeling anxious, I was knocked off while descending a couple of years ago but got away with just cuts and bruises amazingly but was always aware that I was very fortunate. Still don't like going downhill as all I think about is the off I had.

Glad it hasn't put you off completely though, and your teeth look pretty good compared to the first post!!!

ian

« Reply #152 on: 16 October, 2018, 11:20:40 am »
Sadly, the anxiety never goes entirely, but it can become manageable.

« Reply #153 on: 16 October, 2018, 01:20:49 pm »

I am meant to go for EMDR, but have never gotten around to it. I will eventually, but I am fine training on zwift and keeping my riding for audaxes, where I feel pretty safe.

I've had other horrible crashes, but it's the "I can't see what I could have done differently" factor that has thrown me with this one. That, and the whole year off work, lips still don't work the same, implants not the same as teeth, scars...

It really has sucked a whole bunch of arse. Still, the latest version of the implant crowns are much better than the first lot.

ian

« Reply #154 on: 16 October, 2018, 01:45:58 pm »
Hit from behind – not a lot I could do other than not be there. To this day, I certainly feel the anxiety whenever I hear a vehicle behind me. Even after the immediate physical damage is resolved, there's no real accounting for the fact that it'll be with you for a lifetime.

Not wishing to be negative, I now regularly cycle (it took a decade before I bothered to get on a bike again, not necessarily purposeful avoidance, a mix of that and circumstance) though, of course, I'm less likely to take risks and try to minimize aggravating situations (not the easiest of things).

It's not all bad, I learned some ninja wheelchair skillz and I had the best Halloween fancy dress ever. Are those stitches real? They certainly are, my dear.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #155 on: 16 October, 2018, 03:55:45 pm »
I'd recommend EMDR, in the way that anyone who has had successful treatment recommends that treatment.

Happy to converse by PM about it, as my counsellor had views about how it should be done.

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #156 on: 24 January, 2019, 11:55:59 am »
Just noticed this thread while doing a search as I have recently been knocked off my bike.  In fact I collided with a car that had suddenly turned right across my path.  Plenty of help from passing people and they did a brilliant job.  Police and ambulance were called and arrived swiftly.  I thought that I had broken my lower arm but x-rays revealed bruising instead so that was good.  No damage to my bike and not too much to the car either.  However, i was told to contact one of those no win no fee injury solicitors which i now have.

My main concern now is will I actually get any compensation and was it really worth my trouble in contacting a company like these especially as I have very few injuries and that the bike has not sustained any damage.  Solicitors fees are huge and although they will obviously recover these, will there be anything left for me?

I dont want to make any money out of it really although I did lose my baselayer jersey which had to be cut off by the paramedic and a brand new pair of gloves ended with a big hole in them.

« Reply #157 on: 24 January, 2019, 12:18:36 pm »
Sorry to hear about your "off", but good news that you are OK.

A friend of mine had a similar incident quite a few years ago.  In his case a car turned right onto the main road that he was cycling along and hit him from the side.  The rear wheel got buckled and he was bruised on his arm and leg.  The driver did stop but was of the opinion that while it was his fault it wouldn't have happened if my mate hadn't been there and so on.  It was this attitude that made my mate seek compensation, just so that it was on his insurance record.  He used no-win-no-fee solicitors and it was all pretty easy.  The insurance company wrote the bike off and paid for a new one on the basis that there could have been underlying damage (hardly likely given the very low speed involved) and paid compensation for his injuries.  This did involve going to see a doctor appointed by the insurance company and showing him his arm and leg that had been bruised 3 months earlier  :facepalm:  It all took quite a while to sort out but was relatively easy, he got a new bike and some cash out of it and the driver got a claim on his record.

« Reply #158 on: 24 January, 2019, 12:29:30 pm »
Get some timestamped photos of the bruising just in case (or use the kidnappers trick of a dated publication as background  ;))
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #159 on: 25 January, 2019, 09:29:31 am »

Absolutely,  I'm back on the bike hoping to do the last of the ACME winter series having been knocked off the weekend before the first of them.  I was sideswiped at a roundabout, car from the left just did not stop. Seven weeks later someone pulled out from my left while I was in the car. Cue massive swerve and relatively minor damage to the Land Rover, no further injuries.

I think I'm processing both reasonably well, apart from being fucked off with continuing back pain, but I am nervous and reactive around junctions and roundabouts when half the population seem to think the right approach is to come screaming up to them and slam on the anchors at the last minute.

Reading this, I'm coming to the view of even with no obvious damage to frame, should I be pushing for a total replacement rather than just front triangle and some accessories?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #160 on: 07 June, 2019, 03:43:50 pm »
I've spent a lot of time with my consultant since September '16. Finally got my porcelain crowns on my implants.

Finished EMDR, intrusive images and compulsion to blurt out the details of the crash have gone and stayed gone.

To anyone else who has the misfortune to get their face smashed up in an RTA, it can take a really long time to feel fixed. Finally, I feel like I'm there. I'm thinking ICBA with plastic surgery to fix the scars hidden by my beard.

Top tip, no matter how hard you are training, choosing bone harvesting from your face whilst under local anesthetic is a terrible idea. Get it from your legs, even if it sets your training back!

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

« Reply #161 on: 07 June, 2019, 03:46:12 pm »
 Well that is great news. Really happy to read this.  :thumbsup: :)

simonp

« Reply #162 on: 07 June, 2019, 03:48:16 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Great to see.

« Reply #163 on: 07 June, 2019, 03:55:37 pm »
Good news. Dr. M.

« Reply #164 on: 07 June, 2019, 04:08:12 pm »
Yes indeed!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #165 on: 07 June, 2019, 04:20:35 pm »
Outstanding!  Very pleased to read this indeed - has been a long road indeed - very glad to see a happy ending.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #166 on: 07 June, 2019, 04:59:06 pm »
Great to see this!

I don't think I'd bother with plastic surgery if I had a bear that hid things either!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #167 on: 07 June, 2019, 05:53:36 pm »
TBAGO

Great news, DrMekon   :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #168 on: 07 June, 2019, 05:54:32 pm »
Top News there, Prof. Really great to read this.

« Reply #169 on: 07 June, 2019, 06:13:29 pm »
Plus 1 on the being pleased for you.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #170 on: 07 June, 2019, 06:43:38 pm »
Excellent! And glad to hear that EMDR worked well.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #171 on: 07 June, 2019, 06:50:19 pm »
TBAGO

Great news, DrMekon   :thumbsup:

;D ;D ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #172 on: 07 June, 2019, 07:09:24 pm »
Looking good, sounding healed!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #173 on: 07 June, 2019, 07:29:51 pm »
Excellent! And glad to hear that EMDR worked well.

Yes, as a psych with 18 years of causal modelling under my belt, I was sceptical, but it was freakishly effective. I wouldn't want to say whether it would work for more complex trauma (eg I am working in the area of reducing restraint among children and young people in mental health settings ATM, and I'm not certain it would work given the longstanding and complex nature of their trauma), but it was crazy effective for me. I think we spent more time chatting about how EMDR would work and setting up a safe space for me than actually doing the EMDR. I reckon it was just two <1hr sessions. and really it worked after 1. That cleared up persistent intrusive images immediately, and with that went the compulsive retelling. Amazing.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #174 on: 07 June, 2019, 08:15:28 pm »
I had EMDR treatment over about 18 months, using a variety of techniques, with the Knight Rider lights being the last and most powerful. Safe space, I understand, yes. My counsellor dealt with traumas like mine, but also abuse and other causes. Sadly she has died, as I'd have recommended her to a number of people.