Author Topic: Review: Mountain Equipment Dreamcatcher sleeping bag  (Read 15189 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Review: Mountain Equipment Dreamcatcher sleeping bag
« on: 09 June, 2011, 01:50:03 am »
Now I've used it in anger, I thought I'd write a proper review...

Sleeping bags are tricky.  Due to the strong correlation between demand for good thermal properties and demand for light weight and small pack size, you're pretty much restricted to 'mummy' shaped bags if you want something with decent performance.  Rectangular down-filled mats are expensive unobtanium, and only really come from the US in larger sizes.

This isn't a problem if you're lucky enough to be able to sleep in something that restrictive.  I generally don't - not just because I have a dodgy knee that sometimes seizes up painfully and needs to be fully flexed/extended in the night, but also because I tend to suffer from lower back ache if I can't spread my hips far enough apart to distribute the load naturally.

Until now I've managed with one of two cheap synthetic bags - if it's just a night in warm conditions (so that unzipping the lower section and sticking a leg out is feasible) I've used a lightweight mummy-style bag and accepted poor sleep.  Otherwise, I've used a decent thickness rectangular bag - often with a silk liner - and lived with it being heavy and filling a whole large pannier.

Enter the Dreamcatcher...  Someone on here pointed me at them after a conversation at the Andover camping trip last year, and I've been wibbling about them on and off ever since.  A couple of weeks ago I saw one at a decent price in a sale and decided to take the plunge.  Being 167cm tall, I bought the women's 650 model:

The unique feature about this design is that while it's ostensibly mummy-shaped, the section between waist and ankles is in fact cut much wider, with elasticated baffles that gently compress it back to the default mummy shape.  This means that your legs are free to move apart from each other inside the bag, and rest at whatever angle is most comfortable.  When they're closer together the elastic gently brings the sides of the bag in to maximise the insulation properties.

This works astoundingly well - while it doesn't allow me to spread my knees as wide as they will go, it does allow for the maximum separation that I'd consider comfortable enough to sleep in.  The foot section is still narrow, so you generally end up with either your feet together in the foot section, or one leg bent with the foot alongside the other (extended) leg - you can't sleep with your legs in a V-shape without opening the zip.  In practice, I don't find this a problem - What I usually want to do is sleep on my back with my knees roughly shoulder-width apart, and the dodgy one optionally elevated by a stuff-sack of spare clothes under the sleeping bag, or on my side with both legs bent in a standard mummy-bag-compatible way.

As a result of the baffle design, the most restrictive part of the bag is around the elbows.  I find there's enough room in the upper section for all the arm-movement I'm likely to need (jibbling liners, removing clothing, operating a mobile phone without getting cold hands and so on are perfectly achievable).

That cleverness aside, it's an extremely well thought-through piece of kit:  The foot section is warm (apparently there's more foot insulation in the women's versions) and actually foot-shaped.  The hood section Just Works in a way the ones on my cheaper bags never did - the opening closes down leaving your eyes, nose and mouth exposed, rather than your chin and a section of neck.  There are down-filled flaps that overlap the zips and enclose your shoulders, preventing heat loss - these are extremely effective in use.  The zips appear robust and are generally easy to use, though because of the thermal padding doing up the last 30cm or so from the inside of the bag can be a bit tricky - it's actually easier to keep one arm out and do it up from the outside.  There are actually two seperate zips, which meet a little above ankle-height.  This is apparently intended so that two bags may be joined together while preserving the shape of their respective foot areas - only having the one bag I can't test this.  But what it does mean is that you can open the foot section for ventilation without the whole thing unzipping itself in the night, or you can unzip the leg section to stick a foot out of, and have an intact warm foot section to stick it back into when it gets a bit chilly.  As someone who tends to use one foot as a heatsink in bed, I wholeheartedly approve.  There's also what barakta deemed "a hearing aid pocket" - a wallet-sized pocket on the inside of the upper section at chest height, for items that are valuable or need to be easy to find in the dark.  I haven't tested whether a vibrating gadget stowed in this pocket would wake you reliably, but if you're careful you can sleep on either side without being knobbled by its contents.

I've used it for a couple of nights on a recent camping trip where it got down to about 8-9C at night, in combination with the now legendary Exped Downmat.  Wearing only a T-shirt, I found the temperature on the cool side of comfortable.  On the second night I added a silk liner (mainly on the basis that my trousers were a bit muddy) and was Just Right until about 5am, at which point I woke up, swore at the local poultry, wriggled out of the liner and unzipped the foot section, and enjoyed another 3 hours of decent sleep.

I expect that with a liner and a more usual amount of clothing (especially tactical use of socks and buffs) it would be comfortable in much colder temperatures.  As it warms up, it's easy to regulate temperature by opening the hood and zips, without finding yourself completely out of the bag.  I've yet to try it indoors, I suspect it may be a bit too warm for summer room temperatures.

What else?  It comes with a stuff-sack which seems to be generic across models; the women's 650 is a fairly easy fit (if you're used to synthetic bags, the sheer compressibility of down will come as a surprise), so I assume the larger models would require a bit more stuffing effort.  The stuff-sack is sturdy and fleece-lined with a separate drawstring on the inside for use as a pillow when inverted.  I found that with a bit of practice I could inflate my £2 decathlon inflatable pillow inside it, close the drawstring and have something as comfortable as an Ajungilak, albeit rectangular.  This was an unexpected bonus.

It's also supplied with a large netting storage bag (down works best if uncompressed for long-term storage), and several sachets of silica gel.  I mention these only because if you don't know to look for them, you'll probably find one nestling in your crevices on the first night.

The colour is (in my humble and somewhat colourblind opinion) significantly less bad (read: girly) than it appears in the picture.  Your height-appropriate model and sense of aesthetics will vary.  Speaking of height, the max height on the 650W is quoted as 175cm, and I find the fit pretty much perfect - so the quoted height figures seem realistic.

In summary then: if you want a performance sleeping bag that doesn't restrict your legs, it's hard to fault.  At some 500g lighter, significantly warmer and massively smaller-packing than my rectangular synthetic bag it's subjectively lightweight, though rock'ard mummy-bag users will probably scoff at the weight.  As with the Downmat and the thicker Alpkit Airics, I consider the weight/bulk to be a reasonable trade-off for a decent night's sleep on anything but a S24O.  I know I'm not alone in this philosophy.

ETA:

I've now had reason to use this - again in combination with a Downmat - indoors (in June, so at a comfortable room temperature).  Wearing just a T-shirt, with the foot compartment zip open and without making use of the hood (other than as a convenient pillow-restraint) the temperature was just on the warm side of comfortable.  Optimal comfort was achieved by unzipping the main compartment and sticking the right amount of limbs out to regulate temperature.  I would have been better off with a thin synthetic bag, or maybe just a liner and a few more clothes.  Which is about what I expected, really.

Re: Review: Mountain Equipment Dreamcatcher sleeping bag
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2011, 09:23:15 am »
ME have been making down bags for a long time, good kit. A lightweight , waterproof , roll top stuffsac may be a good investment, just in case. I have one with a panel made from Event breathable fabric so you can really squish the air out.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2011, 09:54:40 am »
As with the Downmat and the thicker Alpkit Airics, I consider the weight/bulk to be a reasonable trade-off for a decent night's sleep on anything but a S24O.  I know I'm not alone in this philosophy.
I agree - I only use down now, woken up cold in the middle of the night too often!

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2011, 10:12:43 am »
Glad you like it Kim.  It was me you were talking to about them.  I have the synthetic-filled version which is bulkier I assume.

It's a shame they didn't really go to town on the expanding section and allow another few inches of expansion.  Having said that it makes normally "mummy" bags feel very restrictive, I just hate having to sleep with my toes, ankles and knees pressed together (I fully expect some humorous comments about "sleeping with knees apart/together"..fairly soon).

I think the test is whether I'd go back to a traditional bag......No I wouldn't.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2011, 10:15:06 am »
I wonder if they do one in a 'Big USian' size, that Butterfly & I can share?
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2011, 02:25:14 pm »
ME have been making down bags for a long time, good kit. A lightweight , waterproof , roll top stuffsac may be a good investment, just in case.

I have one of those (Alpkit Airlok - highly recommended) to fit the synthetic bag, mainly because its supplied compression sack was needlessly heavy and didn't compress to a pannier-friendly shape.  TBH, given that the Dreamcatcher and Downmat basically fill[1] an Ortlieb back-roller, I don't think keeping it dry is going to be a problem.  At least when cycle-touring.  Anything's possible with rucksacks or the boot of cars.

[1] I tend to put the tent poles/pegs in there too, to distribute the weight a bit, and there's enough room for other small items of the must-stay-dry-and-won't-be-needed-on-the-ride variety.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2011, 02:35:08 pm »
I wonder if they do one in a 'Big USian' size, that Butterfly & I can share?

It doesn't appear so, the dreamcatcher datasheet is here:

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/library/en/application/technical_dreamcatcher.pdf

The larger men's 650 is only a couple of cm wider in the chest region than the women's.  Of course, there's the joining-two-together option (they're available in both chiralities) - I'd be interested to see how well that works in practice.  Probably not well enough for barakta and I to not elbow each other to death after the first couple of hours, unfortunately.

Mountain Equipment's other bags all appear to be the usual mummy shape, with various fills and features.

« Reply #7 on: 09 June, 2011, 03:06:59 pm »
ME have been making down bags for a long time, good kit. A lightweight , waterproof , roll top stuffsac may be a good investment, just in case.

I have one of those (Alpkit Airlok - highly recommended) to fit the synthetic bag, mainly because its supplied compression sack was needlessly heavy and didn't compress to a pannier-friendly shape.  TBH, given that the Dreamcatcher and Downmat basically fill[1] an Ortlieb back-roller, I don't think keeping it dry is going to be a problem.  At least when cycle-touring.  Anything's possible with rucksacks or the boot of cars.

[1] I tend to put the tent poles/pegs in there too, to distribute the weight a bit, and there's enough room for other small items of the must-stay-dry-and-won't-be-needed-on-the-ride variety.

Defence in depth........ especially with your ford riding habit  ;)  (I ruined a camera that way in Glen Affric)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 09 June, 2011, 03:10:37 pm »
Objection!  Mine's the ford pointing-and-laughing habit :)

« Reply #9 on: 09 June, 2011, 06:45:03 pm »
Objection!  Mine's the ford pointing-and-laughing habit :)

Makes note to be extra careful when crossing fords with Kim watching... ;D

This is the sort of thing I meant.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eKG6Wx3OkwA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/eKG6Wx3OkwA&rel=1</a>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 09 June, 2011, 06:50:46 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eKG6Wx3OkwA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/eKG6Wx3OkwA&rel=1</a>

Neat!

« Reply #11 on: 18 May, 2013, 10:34:15 am »
Kim, would this sleeping bag allow one with Hips to sleep on their side with a knee bent at, say, a 90 degree angle? I mostly sleep in the recovery position.

I currently use a rectangular synthetic bag for this reason, but I'm considering an upgrade due to the sheer bulk of the thing and looking at options. The Big Agnes range of semi-rectangular bags also look great but aren't as available in the UK.

« Reply #12 on: 18 May, 2013, 11:28:58 am »
Kim, would this sleeping bag allow one with Hips to sleep on their side with a knee bent at, say, a 90 degree angle? I mostly sleep in the recovery position.
How about a Therm-a-rest Alpine Down Blanket - it is like a duvet with side baffles. http://www.rutlandoutdoor.com/22752/Thermarest-Alpine-2-C--35-F--Down-Blanket.html Plenty of room to curl up.  I usually use a sleeping bag open like a duvet but on the occasions  it has been cold enough to zip it up I have found cold patches where you press against the bag when curled up in it.  The down blanket is big enough to curl up underneath, just like a duvet.  Having no zips or a hood it is lighter and more compact in packing than an equivalent bag.  I have only used mine in a cold house so far, but next bank holiday will be the first test in the wild.  There are good comments on websites.  Therm-a-rest also do a sheet to go over the mat, and that sheet has press studs to which you can attach the blanket for a closer fit.  I do not have the sheet.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 18 May, 2013, 05:08:12 pm »

Yes, absolutely.

« Reply #14 on: 19 May, 2013, 06:13:35 pm »
How about a Therm-a-rest Alpine Down Blanket - it is like a duvet with side baffles. http://www.rutlandoutdoor.com/22752/Thermarest-Alpine-2-C--35-F--Down-Blanket.html Plenty of room to curl up.  I usually use a sleeping bag open like a duvet but on the occasions  it has been cold enough to zip it up I have found cold patches where you press against the bag when curled up in it.  The down blanket is big enough to curl up underneath, just like a duvet.  Having no zips or a hood it is lighter and more compact in packing than an equivalent bag.  I have only used mine in a cold house so far, but next bank holiday will be the first test in the wild.  There are good comments on websites.  Therm-a-rest also do a sheet to go over the mat, and that sheet has press studs to which you can attach the blanket for a closer fit.  I do not have the sheet.

Thanks, that's an interesting idea, but I definitely want something that stops the pillow escaping, another reason for wanting an upgrade.

Yes, absolutely.

Good, thanks very much.

« Reply #15 on: 19 May, 2013, 08:35:30 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKG6Wx3OkwA
There's also the alternative variety that doesn't expand between squeezing and placing in pannier (or just strapping to rack).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGk1L8BzvG8
Small size does me for a Dreamcatcher 500 + silk liner + inflatable pillow, or PHD Minim 300 + liner + pillow + Neoair short.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 15 October, 2014, 08:50:06 pm »
Update:  3 years and many camping trips later, I still love the bag.  I've had it down to temperatures of about -2C, with a liner and a DownMat, and been just on the cold side of comfortable.  No durability complaints, though it still sheds the odd feather.

I've just bought a second, identical bag for barakta (which took some searching, as they seem to have stopped making them).  We experimentally tried joining them together, and found it to be entirely feasible, with the elasticated sections giving plenty of wriggle room, the upside-down feet area on one side only being slightly 'wrong', and the upside-down hood being ignorable as long as you don't need to use it for its intended purpose.  I don't see us doing this in practice, as our mats are different shapes.