Author Topic: DIY with AAA points trial  (Read 13499 times)

DanialW

DIY with AAA points trial
« on: 26 February, 2010, 04:09:20 pm »
At the last AUK committee meeting, the board agreed that I could carry out a trial of validating DIY permanent events that could attract AAA points. The idea is that this will be an extension to the DIY by GPS permanents, which we're looking to run from May 2010. 

The software that Pete Coates developed to analyse gpx files, as part of the trial to validate DIYs using gpx files, allows us to calculate climb. Pete can tweak this software so it replicates Steve Snook's method of reconciling climbing recorded on a gpx file with contour counting.

So, I'm looking for riders who'd like to help out. You'd need to carry out a hilly DIY of at least 100km, and to record the route on a GPS unit. Rides carried out during the trial are validated free of charge.

If you'd like to take part, drop me a line either on here or by email.

Ta muchly.

Re: DIY with AAA points trial
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2010, 04:14:49 pm »
Ooh. My DIY 100 round the Surrey Hills is gagging for this.

To use the usual route I have to make it 120km (not a problem with the very relaxed DIY timings for BP rides).

GPS would allow me to trim it down to 100km and it's easily in AAA territory.

I may be dropping you an email at some point...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2010, 04:44:26 pm »
I'd be up for joining you on that Alex. Be good to have two readings from two different GPS units for the same ride I guess for comparision.

Drop me a PM if you arrange something with Daniel.

DanialW

« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2010, 05:15:31 pm »
I'll reply to your PM later, FR. Just wanted to point out that the shortest distance rule will still apply. As you can put 'controls' anywhere, that shouldn't be an issue.

Chris N

« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2010, 06:19:10 pm »
I'll give it a go please Danial.

« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2010, 12:16:01 pm »
I'd be up for joining you on that Alex. Be good to have two readings from two different GPS units for the same ride I guess for comparision.

Excellent. I hope to get in a couple of runs in the next few months (especially if I want to ride the SA400).

(Can't sort anything out now as I didn't bring my work laptop home and that's got my GPS stuff and Autoroute on it.)

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #6 on: 27 February, 2010, 09:08:05 pm »
I'll have a go :thumbsup:

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 27 February, 2010, 10:30:59 pm »
I'd like to

My DIY perms are decidedly lumpy, and I have a GPS I'd like to use properly.

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #8 on: 28 February, 2010, 10:45:12 am »
I'd very much like to have a go at this one, I must have 10 potential 100k AAA routes from my house with but with barely a control between them, but that's the Welsh Borders for you.

Chris S

« Reply #9 on: 28 February, 2010, 11:44:19 am »
* sigh *  :-\

« Reply #10 on: 28 February, 2010, 11:49:07 am »
I could bag loads of AAA points by riding into the Pennines. There is no other way to get AAA for DIYs so I may just have to enter the 20th Century and get a GPS

I presume 'the software' checks for hilly sections within a longer ride as per the regs.  :thumbsup:

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #11 on: 28 February, 2010, 01:18:30 pm »
As a complete aside, this initiative has the potential to stack the odds of the AAA championship against those not fortunate enough to live next to the Pennines, in Wales etc.  Given 50km rides can count towards that championship, in theory one could do an AAA rated event every day - in theory by commuting to work.

Presumably this is something the committee has discussed?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 28 February, 2010, 05:24:52 pm »
As this "championship" can be won with no 200k+ rides, I don't take it seriously anyway ...   

<turns off GPS and runs>
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #13 on: 28 February, 2010, 05:36:15 pm »
As a complete aside, this initiative has the potential to stack the odds of the AAA championship against those not fortunate enough to live next to the Pennines, in Wales etc.  Given 50km rides can count towards that championship, in theory one could do an AAA rated event every day - in theory by commuting to work.

Presumably this is something the committee has discussed?
and makes winning the AAA easier for those with GPSs.  GPS validations or not, it's always easier for people living in or close to hilly regions to do AAA events or perms.  But yes I agree with your point.

« Reply #14 on: 02 March, 2010, 03:14:30 am »
As a complete aside, this initiative has the potential to stack the odds of the AAA championship against those not fortunate enough to live next to the Pennines, in Wales etc.  Given 50km rides can count towards that championship, in theory one could do an AAA rated event every day - in theory by commuting to work.

Every points contest we have is made easier by personal circumstances - not being in work, living somewhere convenient, being willing to drive. I don't see this as fundamentally different.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #15 on: 02 March, 2010, 08:09:58 am »

Every points contest we have is made easier by personal circumstances - not being in work, living somewhere convenient, being willing to drive. I don't see this as fundamentally different.

I think you are missing the point I was trying to make.  This has the potential to change the AAA championship from something that involves true grit and sacrifice to a token trophy won by someone pootling around local 50km and 100km rides whenever they are travelling to work.

Don't get me wrong, I think the opening up of rides to GPS is a good thing.  But as with all things new, the impact on other aspects of our club should be considered.

« Reply #16 on: 02 March, 2010, 09:19:47 am »
Indeed. I could do a 100km commute home from work every day and get 1.75AAA points. I wouldn't even have to ride at the weekend. That would be over 3 times the current AAA record.

I would have still climbed the appropriate number of meters, but it's hardly audacious.

Maybe there should be a 50% rule; i.e. at least 50% of your AAA points must come from Calendar events or Perms.

« Reply #17 on: 02 March, 2010, 10:42:33 am »
Indeed. I could do a 100km commute home from work every day and get 1.75AAA points. I wouldn't even have to ride at the weekend. That would be over 3 times the current AAA record.

I would have still climbed the appropriate number of meters, but it's hardly audacious.

Maybe there should be a 50% rule; i.e. at least 50% of your AAA points must come from Calendar events or Perms.
100 hilly kilometers every day? Sounds audacious to me!

OK, that was a bit extreme, drop it to being an extended commute once a week and once at the weekend. 1.75 * 2 * 52 = 182 AAA.

Get in to work early one day, leave work at 4pm and I'd be home for 9pm.

It probably boils down to whether a 5 hour 100km ride in the Surrey Hills done 5 or 6 times is anywhere near equal to something like the Maniac Grimpeur or Mille Cymru. (No being the answer.)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 02 March, 2010, 11:39:32 am »
It probably boils down to whether a 5 hour 100km ride in the Surrey Hills done 5 or 6 times is anywhere near equal to something like the Maniac Grimpeur or Mille Cymru. (No being the answer.)
But isn't this the same question as discussed during the AAA points revision? nowt to do with GPSes. I think.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #19 on: 02 March, 2010, 11:44:13 am »
But isn't this the same question as discussed during the AAA points revision? nowt to do with GPSes. I think.
Yes & no. Trial by GPS may mean I can do 100km from my door and get some AAA points. The new AAA formula meant I still had to travel to the start of a perm or calendar event to get AAAs.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #20 on: 02 March, 2010, 12:51:51 pm »
Yes & no. Trial by GPS may mean I can do 100km from my door and get some AAA points. The new AAA formula meant I still had to travel to the start of a perm or calendar event to get AAAs.

or register your own perm?

DanialW

« Reply #21 on: 02 March, 2010, 12:53:18 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I think the opening up of rides to GPS is a good thing.  But as with all things new, the impact on other aspects of our club should be considered.

Agreed. This is a point to raise with Steve Snook. The AAA is his championship, and the committee tend not to intervene in these things.

The AAA has always been ripe for gaming. I did it myself in 2007. marcus' efforts the following year were many times greater, a fact not reflected in the relative points awarded.

I've no doubt Steve's considered the implications of the DIY AAA project. I'm sure he'll have something to say on the draft report on the process that I hope will go to the committee in June.

« Reply #22 on: 02 March, 2010, 01:46:50 pm »

Could do. I am planning on producing some perms starting in Leeds.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #23 on: 02 March, 2010, 01:48:08 pm »

I'll keep my eye out for news of curly hair heading south.

« Reply #24 on: 02 March, 2010, 01:53:45 pm »

I'll keep my eye out for news of curly hair heading south.
My

300 heads North West  to Carnforth  then back via Ribblesdale and Wensleydale.
400 heads North West to Carlisle via Teesdale and back via Mallerstang and Wensleydale.

Both of these have hilly sections that might be candidates for an AAA point but I'll need a GPS and some software to analyse the track to determine this. (I ain't going to calorie count). I've done them both as DIYs.