Author Topic: DIY with AAA points trial  (Read 13582 times)

Weirdy Biker

Re: DIY with AAA points trial
« Reply #25 on: 02 March, 2010, 01:59:38 pm »
Danial - when is the trial period running from / to?

As I PM'd, keen to test a particular ride using GPS DIY but as I've pencilled it in for 8 May, not sure if this would be "too late" to be of any use as a test ride, as it were.

PS: Made this a public post as others might want to know.

« Reply #26 on: 02 March, 2010, 02:17:25 pm »
It probably boils down to whether a 5 hour 100km ride in the Surrey Hills done 5 or 6 times is anywhere near equal to something like the Maniac Grimpeur or Mille Cymru. (No being the answer.)
But isn't this the same question as discussed during the AAA points revision? nowt to do with GPSes. I think.
Yes & no. Trial by GPS may mean I can do 100km from my door and get some AAA points. The new AAA formula meant I still had to travel to the start of a perm or calendar event to get AAAs.

or register your own perm?

(I know it wasn't directed at me but...)

a) Takes a long time to sort out (compared to a DIY entry).
b) Uninteresting ride (50km of busy aterial roads out of and back in to London, uninspiring roads until you get to the sticks). Fancy a rush hour blast along the A24 from Clapham to Epsom?
c) Start/Finish 8 miles apart (with the start in, near enough, Central London).
d) No useful controls apart from petrol stations and the odd shop.
e) Can't adapt it easily (moving a control, doing it in the reverse direction, etc).

It's a good training ride that suits me, but that doesn't make it a good Perm Audax to suit everyone.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

DanialW

« Reply #27 on: 02 March, 2010, 02:19:13 pm »
Danial - when is the trial period running from / to?

As I PM'd, keen to test a particular ride using GPS DIY but as I've pencilled it in for 8 May, not sure if this would be "too late" to be of any use as a test ride, as it were.

PS: Made this a public post as others might want to know.

The next committee meeting is early June, I think. I'd need enough time to draft something, circulate it for feedback, and to submit it before the meeting. Since I've only had a handful of responses, and the only tracklog completed so far is, errr, mine, I don't think early May is likely to be a problem for me at all.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #28 on: 02 March, 2010, 02:36:31 pm »
It probably boils down to whether a 5 hour 100km ride in the Surrey Hills done 5 or 6 times is anywhere near equal to something like the Maniac Grimpeur or Mille Cymru. (No being the answer.)
But isn't this the same question as discussed during the AAA points revision? nowt to do with GPSes. I think.
Yes & no. Trial by GPS may mean I can do 100km from my door and get some AAA points. The new AAA formula meant I still had to travel to the start of a perm or calendar event to get AAAs.

or register your own perm?

(I know it wasn't directed at me but...)

a) Takes a long time to sort out (compared to a DIY entry).
b) Uninteresting ride (50km of busy aterial roads out of and back in to London, uninspiring roads until you get to the sticks). Fancy a rush hour blast along the A24 from Clapham to Epsom?
c) Start/Finish 8 miles apart (with the start in, near enough, Central London).
d) No useful controls apart from petrol stations and the odd shop.
e) Can't adapt it easily (moving a control, doing it in the reverse direction, etc).

It's a good training ride that suits me, but that doesn't make it a good Perm Audax to suit everyone.

But we're talking about a competition not suiting everyone else  ;)

Better yet set it up as a Prohibitively expensive X-rated calendar event 200 times a year  :thumbsup:

« Reply #29 on: 02 March, 2010, 02:38:46 pm »
Better yet set it up as a Prohibitively expensive X-rated calendar event 200 times a year  :thumbsup:

Facilities: A(1) X L P R T S (1)

« Reply #30 on: 09 March, 2010, 03:37:00 pm »
OK, if my PowerTap wheel turns up I'll hopefully get a chance to rag it around the Surrey Hills. if/when caveats apply.

Danial, what about validating this ride from a tracklog:-

Club des Cinglés du Mont-Ventoux

4800m climbing in 138km. :)

(As an aside, how much effort would it be to register the above Ventoux ride as a Perm with a completed official Club Cingles Brevet as proof-of-passage? Although I'd like to ride it once for myself before doing this...)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #31 on: 09 March, 2010, 03:52:55 pm »
I'd be happy to do a few 100km turns in the Peaks this spring...
I am not remotely interested in AAA points (due to doing 150+ vertical km of climbing a year just commuting to work) but I would be very happy to provide you with tracks for analysis - I will even do the contour counting for you as a comparison.....

DanialW

« Reply #32 on: 10 March, 2010, 08:07:16 pm »
Hi everyone

I was away for a long weekend, and now I find myself both up to my neck at work, and floored with a stomach bug.

I promise to get back to everyone on Friday.

« Reply #33 on: 10 March, 2010, 08:31:49 pm »
I promise to get back to everyone on Friday.

Read me latest PM before my first. It'll save you a big chunk of work.

Ta. :)

« Reply #34 on: 10 March, 2010, 08:35:11 pm »
(As an aside, how much effort would it be to register the above Ventoux ride as a Perm with a completed official Club Cingles Brevet as proof-of-passage?

Don't you only get a stamp each time you get to the top? Not that anyone would go all that  way and cheat, obviously.

« Reply #35 on: 10 March, 2010, 08:43:47 pm »
(As an aside, how much effort would it be to register the above Ventoux ride as a Perm with a completed official Club Cingles Brevet as proof-of-passage?

Don't you only get a stamp each time you get to the top? Not that anyone would go all that  way and cheat, obviously.

I think you have to get stamps in each of the three towns (Bedoin, Malaucene, Sault) too.

« Reply #36 on: 10 March, 2010, 08:54:52 pm »
It's been a while since I read the rules I have to admit.

« Reply #37 on: 13 April, 2010, 09:02:45 am »
Is this trial still running ? Can someone confirm that for a 100km ride to be eligible for AAA points then it needs at least 150mm 1500m of ascent ? Then with 1500m it will get 1.5 AAA points ?

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #38 on: 13 April, 2010, 09:34:42 am »
to be eligible for AAA points then it needs at least 150mm of ascent ?

Oooh.  Cambridgeshire-friendly rules?

Perhaps I stand a chance at this AAA business after all!
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #39 on: 13 April, 2010, 09:36:55 am »
hee hee, someone does read my posts then !!! Got to give those Fenmen a chance to show how tough they are. Of course I meant 1500m

DanialW

« Reply #40 on: 13 April, 2010, 11:03:17 am »
the trial is still on. Email me at audax at danialwebb dot com for more details.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #41 on: 03 May, 2010, 08:44:13 pm »
Not sure if this is the right thread.  Looking for some tech help, related to my impending "trial" ride.

My GPS (etrex legend) can store 10,000 active tracklog points but 750 saved tracklog points.  My route is 210km (but say 220km to all off route incidents).  I can set it up as "wrap" or "full" mode.  Tracklog sampling can be done by distance or time.

What settings would I be best advised to use in order to capture the route information (bearing in mind this is to be submitted to Danial for validation).

Thanks for any help.  My GPS knowledge is "basic" - I can guess what to do based on common sense but would like to hear from more experienced minds.   Hopefully any comments will "help" other riders as well.

« Reply #42 on: 03 May, 2010, 08:49:29 pm »
I set my Vista C to 'auto'. 220km on Saturday took 3157 points. I used the same setting when I did a 100km AAA ride the week before, I've viewed the track and it looked OK, I have submitted it to Danial but he's not commented so far. Part of the trial is probably trying to determine what parameters need to be set.

DanialW

« Reply #43 on: 03 May, 2010, 09:00:20 pm »
Do you mean the ride you did on 24 April, Mr Nesbitt?

« Reply #44 on: 03 May, 2010, 09:03:52 pm »
Do you mean the ride you did on 24 April, Mr Nesbitt?
the 100km Queensbury, yes.

DanialW

« Reply #45 on: 03 May, 2010, 09:08:35 pm »
You sent it to me on the 24th, and I replied on the 26th to tell you I had added it to John validation list, and sent it to Steve for its AAA points. Steve added the AAA points the same day, but I doubt you'll be able to see either points yet.

« Reply #46 on: 03 May, 2010, 09:12:27 pm »
You sent it to me on the 24th, and I replied on the 26th to tell you I had added it to John validation list, and sent it to Steve for its AAA points. Steve added the AAA points the same day, but I doubt you'll be able to see either points yet.
I know all that.  :) thanks, what I mean't to FY was that you didn't say if the settings I used were not sufficient. By default   I suppose since you'd told me you'd passed the details on I should have assumed my settings were OK. Thanks.

DanialW

« Reply #47 on: 03 May, 2010, 09:16:06 pm »
Oh, I see! Sorry!

It's impossible to give too much advice on calibrating a gps unit, because they vary so much. The only universal advice I can think off is to allow them to run for a few minutes before you set off, to home in on your location, and to adjust to the altitude.

Unless you've deliberately set your machine to not read your location very often, it should record enough for us to be able to read the track.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #48 on: 03 May, 2010, 09:18:39 pm »
OK.  I'll give it a test run on a local loop after work to see how it goes.  I don't even know yet whether you have to save the track or if it stays in memory when you switch the unit off  :-[

Best way to find out is to jfdi.

« Reply #49 on: 03 May, 2010, 09:21:11 pm »
OK.  I'll give it a test run on a local loop after work to see how it goes.  I don't even know yet whether you have to save the track or if it stays in memory when you switch the unit off  :-[

It stays in memory. Frankly Frankie says don't save it as it gets compressed and I presume it'll lose some info. You'll get several tracks some of which are one point. I just deleted these in MapSource and joined the main ones