Author Topic: Loss of Womens Classics for 2020  (Read 1536 times)

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Loss of Womens Classics for 2020
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2019, 12:36:57 pm »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Fucking muppets.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2019, 12:38:31 pm »
I agree wholeheartedly.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2019, 01:12:34 pm »
From the article:
"La Flèche Wallonne Féminine and Liège-Bastogne-Liège Femmes could be missing from the Women's WorldTour in 2020, after the organisers and broadcasters of the two races, the ASO and RTBF, refused to provide the 45 minutes of live television coverage mandated under incoming UCI reforms. Reigning world champion and five-time Flèche Wallonne winner Anna van der Breggen told Cyclingnews that if race organisers like ASO aren't willing to be part of the development of women's cycling than they shouldn't be part of the Women's WorldTour....van der Breggen ... [said] "I think that's a good thing because we would like to have our races broadcast. We deserve a broadcast and those race don’t provide that over all these years"...
Both races are now likely to drop down to the new UCI ProSeries, the second-highest of four race classes.
"

So AIUI the UCI are putting pressure on race organisers to provide TV coverage of women's races - at least 45 minutes if it is going to be part of the World Tour.  ASO claim they can't/won't do this - the article does not say why. So the UCI say 'OK, but your race will not be at World Tour level'.

I think I'm with the UCI on this - I can't think of a good reason why ASO, who are one of the biggest race organisers out there, can't provide TV coverage of these races.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2019, 01:23:44 pm »
So AIUI the UCI are putting pressure on race organisers to provide TV coverage of women's races - at least 45 minutes if it is going to be part of the World Tour.  ASO claim they can't/won't do this - the article does not say why. So the UCI say 'OK, but your race will not be at World Tour level'.

I think I'm with the UCI on this - I can't think of a good reason why ASO, who are one of the biggest race organisers out there, can't provide TV coverage of these races.
[/quote]

Agreed. There's no excuse.

*sigh*

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2019, 03:32:43 pm »
ASO are just being their usual arses.
The whole debacle around La Course shows what they think of women's racing. This decision has been on the cards for a while - Caley Fretz on the Cycling Tips podcast called it a few weeks ago. It's such a shame that they are basically the most powerful entity in cycling.