Author Topic: Strava  (Read 62080 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Strava
« Reply #200 on: 19 May, 2020, 03:11:35 pm »

Ironically, I'm actually thinking about cancelling my RideWithGPS subscription.

Komoot offers better route planning.

And Strava's route planning is also improving. I haven't logged into RWGPS for a while now.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #201 on: 19 May, 2020, 03:36:46 pm »

Ironically, I'm actually thinking about cancelling my RideWithGPS subscription.

Komoot offers better route planning.

And Strava's route planning is also improving. I haven't logged into RWGPS for a while now.

J

OOI how is Komoot better?  RWGPS (paid) routing is very good, though I do use Strava routing (set to 'popular mode') and change as needed.  Strava manual mode (if used) is poorly implemented IMO and usually renders the rest of the planning unstable.

BTW RWGPS now has a decent routing part of the phone app - use POI to choose a particular route other than the auto chosen.    ETA... or tap on route and select "move".
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #202 on: 19 May, 2020, 03:40:06 pm »
OOI how is Komoot better?  RWGPS (paid) routing is very good, though I do use Strava routing (set to 'popular mode') and change as needed.  Strava manual mode (if used) is poorly implemented IMO and usually renders the rest of the planning unstable.

BTW RWGPS now has a decent routing part of the phone app - use POI to choose a particular route other than the auto chosen.

Komoot tells me what the road surface is like, and also tells me if there is a ferry on my root.

My main issue with komoot is you can't download the gpx from the komoot via the app. Which dramatically reduces it's utility for on the road use.

J
--

« Reply #203 on: 19 May, 2020, 03:51:40 pm »
Sadly I’ve had two disasters with Komoot and corrupt files. Both on winter DIYs. One sent me off road up (way up) Cadbury Camp instead of a nice flat route to Bristol.

RWGPS is solid. You know where you are. No surprises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #204 on: 19 May, 2020, 04:05:13 pm »
I've never got into Komoot though I know lots of people love it. Tend to use RWGPS for route planning but haven't done any of that for some time.

Free Strava suits me fine for now - I use it as a record of my rides and runs, and for tracking kit miles, and not much else. I used to have a premium sub but cancelled it because I wasn't using it enough to justify the outlay. Didn't renew my Veloviewer sub this year either, simply because I'm not riding enough to find it useful.

I'm not concerned about Strava's solvency enough to feel an urgent need to download all my data. They're making more noise about this change more than others because segments have always been a core part of Strava's identity since it launched (as you can see if you read early posts in this thread), so this is a pretty fundamental shift for them.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #205 on: 19 May, 2020, 04:50:36 pm »
Strava need to wake up to other sports.

Comparing segment times is a major incentive to push yourself. I can't always paddle with other people (well, not at all atm), but I can paddle on the same waterways and compare times.

Stupidities like combining rowing, canoeing and kayaking on the same segments really doesn't help sell the premium model.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #206 on: 19 May, 2020, 05:24:54 pm »
When are these changes to Strava happening as currently I can still see all leaderboards and I am not a subscriber?

« Reply #207 on: 19 May, 2020, 05:58:41 pm »
When are these changes to Strava happening as currently I can still see all leaderboards and I am not a subscriber?
Everyone will continue to be able to see leaderboards, just the first 10 entries.

So that isn't a really big, hurting change.

What will really be a bummer is the 'matched runs' switches to subscription only.
Segment analysis will also be subscription.

Currently, say, I go for a 10k run on my usual route. Free Strava will show me if I am slower or faster, flag PB etc. That is going to subscription.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #208 on: 19 May, 2020, 06:03:18 pm »
What will really be a bummer is the 'matched runs' switches to subscription only.

Actually, that is one feature I will miss - useful for showing my parkrun form. Not sure I'll miss it enough to pay for it though - especially not right now.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #209 on: 19 May, 2020, 06:09:57 pm »
Leaderboards seem pointless to me as the top slots are invariably taken by indoor rides which nobody is interested in. 

« Reply #210 on: 19 May, 2020, 06:11:45 pm »
Sorry, should have been clearer that I can see the whole leaderboard for all segments not just the first 10 rider on the leaderboard . I can also plot routes which is another feature that is going to be only for paid members.

From the DC rainmaker link (18th May)

In any case, as of today, non-paying users will no longer see the full leaderboard

DC rainmaker

so I'm wondering why I can still see them.

« Reply #211 on: 19 May, 2020, 08:13:46 pm »
Leaderboards seem pointless to me as the top slots are invariably taken by indoor rides which nobody is interested in.
Well they are promising better 'cheat' detection.
I'd just like them to stop combining sports. I am third on two nearby segments; the top two positions are taken by rowers (possibly in rowing 8s, judging by the speed).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #212 on: 19 May, 2020, 08:15:07 pm »
Sorry, should have been clearer that I can see the whole leaderboard for all segments not just the first 10 rider on the leaderboard . I can also plot routes which is another feature that is going to be only for paid members.

From the DC rainmaker link (18th May)

In any case, as of today, non-paying users will no longer see the full leaderboard

DC rainmaker

so I'm wondering why I can still see them.

I'd keep quiet about it! ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #213 on: 19 May, 2020, 09:30:22 pm »
Thanks 7zip did the trick.  When converted the gpx files seem to be in ascending order of date created / ride done.

I haven't checked but the filenames are likely to be the upload ID numbers returned by the API as the file is uploaded (which is unhelpfully[1] not the same thing as the activity ID).  They'll be globally unique and, unless they changed the numbering scheme at some point, in chronological order of upload.

[1] Though it makes sense: Not all uploads become an activity, eg. if it is rejected as being a duplicate.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #214 on: 19 May, 2020, 11:11:20 pm »

BTW RWGPS now has a decent routing part of the phone app - use POI to choose a particular route other than the auto chosen.

Komoot tells me what the road surface is like, and also tells me if there is a ferry on my root.

My main issue with komoot is you can't download the gpx from the komoot via the app. Which dramatically reduces it's utility for on the road use.

J

Thing is, Komoots main datasource is OpenStreetMap
RWGPS also uses OSM if you ask it to.

RWGPS just shows you the OSM rendering and lets you read the map.
Komoot gets the road surface based on what's been put into OSM.

It would be a nice feature for RWGPS to add.
RWGPS already has I believe implemented on the go routing in their App, though I don't use it, partly due to carrying an old nokia when on bike.

I can't get logged in to the Komoot website despite having the app, which I've found a pain because I didn't pay for it.
I wanted to have a play to see how well the surface info worked round here, because I know most roads and tracks well enough and have a good idea of which ones OSM map very differently from the OS when just looking at the image. (Yellow roads without fences on OS that appear as tracks on OSM, and I don't care enough to bother fixing things).

« Reply #215 on: 20 May, 2020, 08:07:08 am »
I’ve just recently tried Komoot, and like it as a route planner. I don’t navigate by GPS or phone at the moment, which maybe simplifies things. I like being able to make a rough route with it picking the roads, then find interesting places others have marked and pull the route to them, then click on the road classes and pull it off likely unpleasant routes (a roads, stairs etc).

Strava - I don’t currently pay them, though I do pay veloviewer and made the odd voluntary donation to mycyclinglog which I used before as a, well, log. As a software developer I’m ok with paying for software when I’ve established it’s value. Paying with money, as opposed to adverts or selling data I create.

I do look at the bits where I’ve gone faster than before, but I don’t think I trouble any of the leaderboards. I don’t currently use an HRM (but might one day) or plan my routes there. I like the social side, seeing what friends away from here are up to. I’m not sure which of those features I like enough to pay for.

As an aside, does anyone else have trouble connecting some of the yacf strava people to actual yacf?

Davef

« Reply #216 on: 20 May, 2020, 08:50:09 am »

J

RWGPS already has I believe implemented on the go routing in their App, though I don't use it, partly due to carrying an old nokia when on bike.

I can't get logged in to the Komoot website despite having the app, which I've found a pain because I didn't pay for it.
I wanted to have a play to see how well the surface info worked round here, because I know most roads and tracks well enough and have a good idea of which ones OSM map very differently from the OS when just looking at the image. (Yellow roads without fences on OS that appear as tracks on OSM, and I don't care enough to bother fixing things).
With the exception of garmin I thought most use OSM vector data  for routing even if they then display it on image tiles from somewhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #217 on: 20 May, 2020, 11:52:50 am »

J

With the exception of garmin I thought most use OSM vector data  for routing even if they then display it on image tiles from somewhere else.

With RWGPS it depends what map you have on screen.
I occasionally switch to the google mapping when the OSM routing is doing stupid things.

Davef

« Reply #218 on: 20 May, 2020, 02:28:12 pm »

J

With RWGPS it depends what map you have on screen.
I occasionally switch to the google mapping when the OSM routing is doing stupid things.
I will have to take a look. I had my mind focussed on vector datasets and doing the routing in the app rather than delegating the routing to a 3rd party. OSM does seem poor when it comes to bridleways, though I am not sure google is any better.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #219 on: 20 May, 2020, 03:52:59 pm »
I've discovered Kommots website looks a bit better than last time I looked, they've even claimed to have reset my password and sent me an e-mail this time.
I of course don't have that e-mail address set up at work.

« Reply #220 on: 20 May, 2020, 08:42:15 pm »
Strava routeplanner now has the "Start 60-day free trial to use".   Though it looks like one can still download gpx files for existing routes.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #221 on: 20 May, 2020, 09:04:04 pm »
Leaderboards are gone! I have now made all my historic data private so if I can't see my segment efforts noone else can can. Is that being a bit childish?  ::-)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #222 on: 21 May, 2020, 12:05:59 pm »
Leaderboards are gone! I have now made all my historic data private so if I can't see my segment efforts noone else can can. Is that being a bit childish?  ::-)

No, that's just helping the rest of us move up a bit... :p

J
--

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #223 on: 21 May, 2020, 12:33:53 pm »
The training log is now subscription only. I think that is a nice way of seeing what I've done over the last few weeks, including running/walking/cycling, and getting weekly totals etc. Can still get the training calendar, but its not as useful.
Maybe I will subscribe.

« Reply #224 on: 21 May, 2020, 12:57:49 pm »
The training log going is mildly annoying, I did used to look at that a lot to tally up my running, cycling and swimming.

Guess this is just going to encourage me to work on my own version of fitness analysis stuff.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."