Author Topic: Diy by Gps  (Read 16876 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Diy by Gps
« Reply #25 on: 06 August, 2010, 04:35:57 pm »
Why is it that I read the thread subject as 'Die by GPS'?

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #26 on: 06 August, 2010, 05:15:24 pm »
Why is it that I read the thread subject as 'Die by GPS'?

Dyslexia  ;)

Martin

« Reply #27 on: 21 August, 2010, 11:45:21 am »
a fairly Durr question;

I've acquired a (little warm) copy of AR2010;

how to I change the distances to km?

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #28 on: 21 August, 2010, 12:12:09 pm »
a fairly Durr question;

AR 06 is Tools - Options then select from middle of dialogue box

failing that, Help and search Units  ;D
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

« Reply #29 on: 21 August, 2010, 01:34:25 pm »
a fairly Durr question;

Tools then Options, then Settings tab - it's halfway down

Martin

« Reply #30 on: 21 August, 2010, 10:08:13 pm »
 ok working in "clicks" now thanks  :)

(anyone know the origin of that? is it wartime?

btw in WW2 the UK was temporarily in proper time rather than am/pm)

Martin

« Reply #31 on: 25 August, 2010, 05:07:46 pm »
another thing that's occurred to me;

is there any accepted time of day or night that we are expected to start events?
I've never had a request to ride any other than in the day (some hilly events might be positively dodgy in the dark)

« Reply #32 on: 25 August, 2010, 05:59:47 pm »
..... is there any accepted time of day or night that we are expected to start events? .....
I've never seen any rules on this. Over the years I've seen various Calendar events start at times ranging (I think) from 3.00 a.m. to 10 p.m. and I can't see any reason to prohibit a particular start time when rides so often go around the clock more than once. What goes for Calendar events, goes for DIYs as far as I can see.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #33 on: 25 August, 2010, 06:12:48 pm »
I once started a regular perm at 23:45 on 31st August...

HTH

Martin

« Reply #34 on: 25 August, 2010, 07:41:23 pm »
..... is there any accepted time of day or night that we are expected to start events? .....
I've never seen any rules on this. Over the years I've seen various Calendar events start at times ranging (I think) from 3.00 a.m. to 10 p.m. and I can't see any reason to prohibit a particular start time when rides so often go around the clock more than once. What goes for Calendar events, goes for DIYs as far as I can see.

I was thinking more of shorter events on lanes etc; where steep descents potholes etc may cause hazards at night (most overnight longer events would tend to avoid these routes in favour of empty A and B roads also to minimise routesheet instructions)

do DIY orgs have any duty of care over this?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #35 on: 25 August, 2010, 07:48:24 pm »
Regarding the original question, isn't the problem that people would accumulate points by driving round the route in a car, or even by attaching multiple GPS units to one person's bike?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #36 on: 25 August, 2010, 08:25:35 pm »
Regarding the original question, isn't the problem that people would accumulate points by driving round the route in a car, or even by attaching multiple GPS units to one person's bike?

a) The GPX track should include timestamps on each trackpoint. It'll be pretty obvious you were in a car doing those car kinds of speeds if you used a tracklog from driving round the route.
b) Frigging the timestamps to make it look like you cycled and cycling speeds is the tricky bit of faking a GPS tracklog anyway. If you can do this then you can just add timestamps to a slightly jigged tracklog file generated by bikely.
c) There's nothing stopping you driving around the route of a Perm or DIY anyway, so it's not making that any easier.
d) Multiple GPS units == multiple receipts at each shop/ATM/etc.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #37 on: 25 August, 2010, 08:27:56 pm »
I was thinking more of shorter events on lanes etc; where steep descents potholes etc may cause hazards at night (most overnight longer events would tend to avoid these routes in favour of empty A and B roads also to minimise routesheet instructions)

do DIY orgs have any duty of care over this?

Their duty of care may extend to warning the rider that the route is going to be trickier in the dark, but I don't see why the organisers should have some liability lumped on them just because the rider chooses a time to suit them.

I've never finished a winter 200 in the light and some have finished on some particularly grotty lanes.

Martin

« Reply #38 on: 25 August, 2010, 08:28:50 pm »
I have enough trouble getting some properly ridden routes to open up on the app; GOK how it would cope with a faked / non-cycled one

« Reply #39 on: 25 August, 2010, 08:31:16 pm »
I have enough trouble getting a properly ridden route to open up on the app; GOK how it would cope with a faked / non-cycled one

On my big long list of stuff to do is to look at the app to see how it reacts to faked tracks (I know enough about GPX files and the underlying maths of it all to make a few good attempts). Sadly I haven't got the time (I can't do it at work and spare time at home is non-existent now).

Martin

« Reply #40 on: 25 August, 2010, 09:19:25 pm »
I have enough trouble getting a properly ridden route to open up on the app; GOK how it would cope with a faked / non-cycled one

On my big long list of stuff to do is to look at the app to see how it reacts to faked tracks (I know enough about GPX files and the underlying maths of it all to make a few good attempts). Sadly I haven't got the time (I can't do it at work and spare time at home is non-existent now).

I'd save your time; it's sufficiently robust that nobody is going to try to f**k with it; hey it even shows where I went behind a hedge for a slash...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #41 on: 25 August, 2010, 11:08:20 pm »
And it says I go to fast down hills  :o and more than 2% is outside the speed limits  ;D

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #42 on: 25 August, 2010, 11:28:52 pm »
(some hilly events might be positively dodgy in the dark)

Why does Shawn Shaw's 600 come to mind???

« Reply #43 on: 24 October, 2012, 09:53:19 pm »
Just pondering about a move to GPS for doing some DIY and possibly also Perms, organisers permitting.

However, I'm quite happy with a routesheet or map or the like and would only need GPS logger to tell me where I've been, not how to get there. I'm also pondering setting up a twitter account so that I can foist my brane on an unsuspecting audience/take pictures of a house called Pheasant Barff on Bernies TFO and the like.

However, being a luddite, and a cheap one at that, I was thinking of combining the two by means of a cheap Blackberry, iphone variant thing. Can anyone advise if there is such a phone that will produce tracklogs of a suitable quality and format for audaxing and allow me to post to twitter as well as be old enough to be dirt cheap on ebay.

Any advice gratefully received.

« Reply #44 on: 24 October, 2012, 10:12:21 pm »
You can, with any smart phone, do this.
Except your battery will probably run out.
Pick an Android phone with the cheapest battery, and buy extras for every 6 hours you'll be riding. (eg 1 spare for a 200, 2 for a 300.) I used to do this with my galaxy ace.

« Reply #45 on: 24 October, 2012, 10:39:01 pm »
I too wanted a gps just for recording purposes and I got a cheap second hand one that is massively more weather-proof than a phone and came with a well designed mount to fit it to the top tube or bar.  It's a garmin 500.  I think the thing to look out for is battery life - I still have not sussed out a system to make it last more than 18hrs, so 400k+ DIY has to be traditional for me.  I also like the scrolling display to tell me time elapsed/average speed/temp/distance travelled/time of day which wouldn't be as easy on a phone.  I find that I miss that if I ride without it.  I would always recommend it above a smart phone with an app.  In any case, if AUKs like 100s, especially for winter AAARTY rides, then why should we want to stop them?

« Reply #46 on: 24 October, 2012, 11:51:51 pm »
You could look at one of these http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/training/training-aids/gps-systems/bryton-rider-35e-gps.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=GPS+Systems.

With the back light off you can get 24 hours out of its battery. You can load routes into it and follow a breadcrumb trail but I just use is to log the ride and to display distance, speed ect. I recently upgraded to a Garmin eTrex 20 (which I choose because it takes AA batteries) but I don't like the tiny data display (ageing eyes) so I only use it to follow the trail and still carry the Bryton to log the route and provide the data readings, a bit OTT perhaps but if one device fails on a DIY I will still be have a full track to submit.

« Reply #47 on: 25 October, 2012, 08:21:56 am »
It's quite difficult to tweet from my garmin, but it is a better device for GPS, and cheaper than even an aged second hand smartphone.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #48 on: 25 October, 2012, 09:49:54 am »
Pick an Android phone with the cheapest battery, and buy extras for every 6 hours you'll be riding. (eg 1 spare for a 200, 2 for a 300.) I used to do this with my galaxy ace.

(Makes mental note that Galaxy must have good battery life)
I doubt if the HTC Desire would last more than 2 hours if tracklogging.
The new Motorola Razr has recently been reviewed as having exceptionally good battery performance.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #49 on: 25 October, 2012, 09:50:51 am »
It's quite difficult to tweet from my garmin, ....

Mine chirrups with a not unpleasant tone if I hit some of the buttons right... will that do ?