Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391117 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #325 on: 02 March, 2012, 03:05:08 pm »
Bring a writing implement that will work in all weather conditions, preferably without spreading ink if it's wet so a pencil is fine.
Information controls are designed to ensure you've not taken a short cut. There'll be a simple question on the route sheet and you write the answer in the space for it on your brevet card.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #326 on: 02 March, 2012, 03:10:47 pm »
And if it's absolutely bucketing down - don't bother to write the answer there and then and destroying your brevet card - simply remember it and write the answer at the next proper control.

If you're worried about remembering it - take a quick photo on a camera phone!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #327 on: 02 March, 2012, 03:12:10 pm »
And either stop to write it down, or do something cunning like take a fly-by photograph.  Don't commit it to memory on the assumption that you'll get the pen out at the next convenient stop, because by then your cycling brain will have had time to muddle it and you won't remember if the date on the bridge was 1875 or 1785.  DAHIKT.

If you're riding in a group, don't trust the others to have got it, either, unless you're absolutely sure.  Otherwise it tends to go the way of informal group navigation.

ETA: Crosspost with marcusjb, who evidently has a better brain than I do.

Martin

« Reply #328 on: 02 March, 2012, 03:21:32 pm »
And if it's absolutely bucketing down - don't bother to write the answer there and then and destroying your brevet card - simply remember it and write the answer at the next proper control.

or even better; remember the location and question when you leave the previous control so you know what you are looking for (very useful for the gps-ified) rather than going 2km down a big hill and thinking "oh wasn't there an info back there?"

you can do one of the least subscribed or most strung out rides in the calendar and still guarantee seeing at least 2 AUKs stopped writing at every info;

and one of them will always be Roger Philo

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #329 on: 02 March, 2012, 03:24:19 pm »
Even if you can reliably remember an info control factoid, remembering to write it down when you're in that nice warm café can be a challenge.
Your mind might be on your order/your bladder/remembering to fill bottles/the time/the state of your bum/hands/neck.
Repeating the answer on-stop for 20km may help but you may seem odd if all you ever say is 'Shepherd Neame'.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #330 on: 05 March, 2012, 07:17:07 pm »
Riding in a group can be a real advantage where info controls are concerned. ISTR a 300 a couple of years ago which asked how many flagpoles were outside a particular hotel. There were three flagpoles. There were three of us in the group.
So were remembered one each.
Simples.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #331 on: 30 March, 2012, 02:42:26 pm »
Even if you can reliably remember an info control factoid, remembering to write it down when you're in that nice warm café can be a challenge.
Your mind might be on your order/your bladder/remembering to fill bottles/the time/the state of your bum/hands/neck.
Repeating the answer on-stop for 20km may help but you may seem odd if all you ever say is 'Shepherd Neame'.
Yeah, everyone's expecting you to say 'Butcombe'.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #332 on: 30 March, 2012, 08:41:44 pm »
I never write down any infos until the end of an audax (in fact I generally don't bother carrying a pen). Creating memorable mnemonics is a fun thing to do as you ride, and in the event something is not easy to memorise (e.g. a telephone number) I take a picture of it on my phone  :D

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #333 on: 04 May, 2012, 09:06:07 am »
I would like to do a DIY 200k audax on 13th of May by GPS. The start is just 10k west of Peterborough. Would I be correct in thinking to:

1 Purchase a virtual brevet card from Richard Forrest for £3
2 Ride the route http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1136343
3 Email the track log to Richard after the ride
4 Get my 2 points

Cheers
Mike

« Reply #334 on: 04 May, 2012, 09:09:52 am »
I would like to do a DIY 200k audax on 13th of May by GPS. The start is just 10k west of Peterborough. Would I be correct in thinking to:

1 Purchase a virtual brevet card from Richard Forrest for £3
2 Ride the route http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1136343
3 Email the track log to Richard after the ride
4 Get my 2 points

Cheers
Mike

You need to submit an entry form to Rich listing your proposed controls before you ride.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #335 on: 04 May, 2012, 09:11:16 am »
Assuming the purchasing a virtual brevet card also means getting RichF to confirm that the route's valid, then yes that's all there is to it.

What are the 'controls' for that route?

« Reply #336 on: 04 May, 2012, 05:14:41 pm »
Assuming the purchasing a virtual brevet card also means getting RichF to confirm that the route's valid, then yes that's all there is to it.

What are the 'controls' for that route?

You need to work out the "controls"  (for a GPS these is simply points that you will pass though) such that the shortest distance between those controls (using Googlemaps set to walking adds up to the relevant distance.
Looking at the shape of your route I suspect you may end up with more points than is convenient for an organiser to check.

Mike Conway

• 23mm-wheels
« Reply #337 on: 04 May, 2012, 09:33:07 pm »
Surely it's just a case of Richard checking that I've done 200k within the allotted time? The track log will verify this.

If I had to provide control points is it for example:

1. 0km Haycock Inn
2. 26.3km intersection of Old Weston Road and B660
3. 43.7km roundabout at Nene Way and intersection of A605
4. 45.1km intersection of East Rd and South Rd

etc. etc?

« Reply #338 on: 04 May, 2012, 10:56:39 pm »
Surely it's just a case of Richard checking that I've done 200k within the allotted time? The track log will verify this.
Not quite.
He checks you're at the control points in the right time points. Your approved route is the minimum distance between controls, not the route you ride. Your controls should be 30-50km apart on a 200km.

See here.
And, perhaps, the more on-topic parts of the discussion here
Not every ride is suitable for audax.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #339 on: 04 May, 2012, 11:00:02 pm »
Simply, for a 200km ride you should have somewhere between 4 & 8 control points, with the shortest distance between controls being at least 200km. If in doubt, plug the controls into google maps in 'walking' mode to check. Regardless, the route has to be submitted and accepted by your local DIY org before the ride.

Mike Conway

• 23mm-wheels
« Reply #340 on: 05 May, 2012, 08:09:36 am »
It would appear that it will take approx 20 control points, meaning it would fall outside the rules and be too much checking for Richard to do. The guy who organised the route can't change it for me to get in a 200k audax, so I will gracefully stop pursuing this as a DIY and just go and ride the route.

Thanks for the info all - much appreciated.  :thumbsup:

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #341 on: 05 May, 2012, 10:51:30 am »
Another point is that if you live in Norf London (as on your profile) your DIY org' is Martin and not me. The org' goes by your address not where you ride.

On another note, I've just moved (address on AUK perm page) and still awaiting internet to be put on. I have loads of emails to go through to check and add points etc.
I can get emails on this phone but the software is on my comp'.
Sorry for any delays.

Hillbilly

« Reply #342 on: 22 May, 2012, 01:17:23 pm »
Has there ever been an article in Arrivee written about the Mizen Head to Malin Head (Irish end to end)?  If yes, any idea of the edition (or rough year)?  I want to read into the logistics of doing the route as an audax event (currently offered by Dave Lewis) with an eye on doing it in the future.  Of course, corresponding via email/PM with anyone who has done it would also be much welcomed.

« Reply #343 on: 22 May, 2012, 01:23:54 pm »
I've run it, but not sure if that counts.

Hillbilly

« Reply #344 on: 23 May, 2012, 08:16:58 am »
I'm hoping not to have to walk much of it  :)

Although your post has made me ponder whether a rough stuff off-road tour might be fun.  Outside the auspices of AUK though.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #345 on: 12 July, 2012, 03:31:17 pm »
Random Audax answer:

http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/listevent/?Ride=12-144

(cos I can't find the thread where it was asked about  ::-)  )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #346 on: 14 July, 2012, 10:53:36 pm »
Can't remember if I've asked this already or not. Is it possible to get medals for rides already done (rides done in 2010, 2011 &2012) or do you have to get them as the time of the ride/validation?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #347 on: 16 July, 2012, 10:33:35 pm »
You can get them later.
Contact the 'supplier' listed in the handbook with the details of your ride(s).

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #348 on: 20 July, 2012, 04:14:18 pm »
When completeing a AA perm does one need to:

a) make each control within the allocated time to qualify;

b) provide other evidence (GPX) of sticking to the route.

I am aware of the rules Re. being able to take which ever route you like between controls on a non AA route,  but does the same apply for a AA perm?

J

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #349 on: 22 July, 2012, 10:01:41 am »
When completeing a AA perm does one need to:

a) make each control within the allocated time to qualify;

b) provide other evidence (GPX) of sticking to the route.

I am aware of the rules Re. being able to take which ever route you like between controls on a non AA route,  but does the same apply for a AA perm?

a) This is one of those questions that you will not get an offiicial answer to other than 'rules for AA(A) events are the same as for any other'. In practice, most view interim control times as 'guidelines. Many riders have experience of falling behind on hilly stages and making up time elsewhere (though if that involves a 50kph time trial through the hills expect questions to be asked).

b) You only require a GPX track for GPS DIY perms, and it is required whether you want to claim the AAA points or not. The corollary of that is a GPS track is only submittable for GPS DIY perms; all other events are validated by 'Brevidence' (manned controls, infos and receipts).

You are not obliged to follow any specific route, just hit the controls, so depending on how the controls are placed it may be possible to dodge hills. AAA's for GPS DIY routes are derived by analysing the GPS track after the event, so if you are chasing AAA points, hill dodging on a GPS DIY will prove practically as well as ethically pointless.